Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2016, 06:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Flat towing a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Searched everywhere and found LOT's of threads about the older Sport TRAC's but that's a different animal from our 2013 Explorer Sport...

While we usually tow the Wrangler, there are times when we are meeting 2 other couples and the 6 seater Sport is just more comfortable and fun too !

So let's go down the checklist:
1) Ford
2) RV
3) tow bar
4) brake buddy
5) hitch plate and connections

1) Ford towing guide says YES to flat towing:

Four-Wheel-Down Availability
2013 SUVs and Trucks
Explorer 3.5L EcoBoost® (AWD) Yes (3)(4)(5)
(3) All-wheel-drive/Intelligent 4WD vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly.
(4) Maximum speed with automatic transmission is 65 mph.
(5) Start the engine and allow it to run for five (5) minutes at the beginning of each day and every six (6) hours thereafter.

So ford says Okey-Dokey ...
BUT, the sport is pretty low and wonder about how level it will be with back of Monaco hitch!

2) RV towing capacity is 10k with 1k pin wgt - so that's good

3) Excalibur tow bar has an 8000 lb rating, so that's good !

4) We can probably use the Brake Buddy, but I have to do some research on a second set of connections. I think the BB will work with inertial braking, but rather having it wired into MH system like wrangler is to help with braking.

5) Base Plate, etc... Need one to match up with Demco Excalibur tow bar and how do I connect it to our Brake Buddy ?

sorry - lot's of questions just want to get this right !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #2

JohnBoyToo-

What BrakeBuddy system do you have now for coach and Jeep? I take it you're trying to have compatible systems between the two towed vehicles- a great goal. You've probably already been following this iRV2 thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/two-t...ml#post2964556

If you're decide replace it, it seems iRV2 posters with air-brake coaches frequently recommend the M&G and SMI Air Force One systems (please, no flames from owners of other systems!). Neither of these are portable systems, as some BrakeBuddy systems are. The ReadyBrake systems that are part of the towbar also have a following among MHers of all kinds.

You can fix a hitch height differential with a drop/rise adapter.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
John
I'm considering an Explorer Platinum 4x4 as my new toad. How have you made out towing the Sport? How did you deal with disconnecting the Neutral Battery Cable? I'm planning on using our BrakeBuddy also.

Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Tags
ford, tow, towing