Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Flat towing a Ford Ranger

Does anyone currently flat tow a Ford Ranger 4x4 automatic? I am considering one so I can get rid of the tow dollie. FMCA towing guides states this 2010 model can be flat towed if a neutral tow kit is dealer installed. My local Ford dealer had no idea what it is but knew the price is $310. (part only) plus installation. Is this part a mechanical or electrical device and if anyone has this installed please let me know. Thanks.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #2

I think it is just a computer reflash and the addition of a switch in the cab.
Really loved my Ford Ranger. Here's a link:

Neutral Tow Kit | The Official Site for Ford Custom Accessories
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

In a 2010 Ranger there is no switch involved. The "kit" is just a 12 volt led which is installed to a dash bracket and connected to an existing 2 wire plug under the dash. The $310 is a huge ripoff. You can buy and install a 12 volt led yourself. The real problem is getting your friendly local Ford dealer to reprogram the computer to activate the neutral feature.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #4

Exactly what jrd48 stated - it's just an indicator light that tells you the transfer case is in neutral. Look at the green connector on the "kit" and you will find the matching green connector under the dash near the steering column. The program may already be installed in the computer. Get an LED light ($10) and hook it up to the connector under the dash and then go through the sequence to get the transfer case in neutral. For my 2003 Explorer it was:
1. Have the vehicle connected to the motor home or otherwise secure it so it can't move.
2. With the engine running put the gear selector in neutral.
3. While the engine is running turn the key back one position so that the steering wheel is not locked - the light will flash.
4. Press on the brake and the 4X4 auto button at the same time - the light will flash about 5 times and then stay on.
5. Transfer case is now in neutral.
6. The light may go off because it works like the dome light but if you move the key forward a little without going to the start position the light should stay on. I like it like that so when I do my checks I can easily see that the vehicle is still in neutral tow.

To get it back in gear just start the vehicle normally - the light will go off.

Total cost for me was $10 - $249 is a major ripoff.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

Thank you all for your replies. I will first look under the dash for the green connector and then try the $10.00 fix first. My local Ford dealer is a pretty good fellow so I think he will do a computer flash if required. I really appreciate the advice as it could save me a few hundred bucks.
Happy trails.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #6

Attn Beachguy. PM sent.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #7

I see that the service bulletin covers Explorers and Rangers back to about 2001. I've had no luck finding other model years elsewhere on the interwebs. Anyone know if this mod is available for a 1997 Ford Ranger 4x4?
Bob K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #8

Looking for a little assistance.
I have finally found a Ford Ranger. It is a 4x4 automatic Sport model 2010 with only 40,000 km. Great shape.
Sooooo, I'm starting to get it ready to flat tow. First, the $10. fix. I have a light to install and after following the instructions that jrd48 sent, I don't seem to be able to find the unused green connector under the dash. I have the under panels off and the only
green connector I see has wires in and out. It is not unused. I'm sending a picture of it. Any ideas regarding this?
Thanks, Mike. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415209544.525412.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	78296Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415209565.482412.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	78297Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1415209544.525412.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	78296
Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #9

That is definitely NOT it. The plug should only have 2 wires connected to it. Maybe it's not green in a Ranger. The plug should be directly under the steering column. I googled 2010 Ford Ranger neutral tow kit and the Ford accessories web page shows the indicator light only, compatible with a 2010.
Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #10

Hi Ret Syntst,
I have thoroughly inspected the entire area under the dash around the steering column. There doesn't appear to be any unused connectors of any colour. My instructions tell me to locate the unused green connector. I don't want to have the dealer perform the computer flash without having a light installed. Also, my owners manual page 158 explains this vehicle is flat towable and to contact the dealer for the neutral tow kit. That's great but what does he connect it to?
to be continued..............
Mike
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #11

Here's a pic of the connector on my 2011 Ranger
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #12

Hi PanJH Thanks for your response. I believe I have seen that one but as it appeared to have wires in and out, I didn't think it was the one. I'll go out later and check to be sure. Are you flat towing your Ranger? Is that the connector with the NTK hooked up?
Thanks again. Mike.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #13

Yes, that is the connector with the NTK hooked into it. The side where my finger is , that's the cable going to the LED light. I had the dealer install it as part of the deal when I bought it. I've been flat towing the Ranger since the day I bought it. I have a Rampage lift in it to haul my Harley. Here's a pic from 3 yrs ago when we pulled it with our Pace Arrow.... now we have a Dutchstar
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #14

Problem solved! I found the connector thanks to the pic you sent. It was well taped to a large wire harness, almost covered with tape. Anyway, now I can hook up the light and my dealer says he will do the computer flash. Then I'm off to buy the parts necessary for the hookup to the MH. Mine is a 2008 Georgetown 38'. I've been towing an Equinox on a dolly and I am really looking forward to flat towing the Ranger. And I think I may have the dolly sold.
Thanks again for all the help.
Mike

Tags
ford, towing