Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #29

I have a 2016 GMC Canyon and recently purchased the Roadmaster base plates. Waiting for a day in the 40 plus range to do the installation as the garage is not heated. Planning to get a NSA RV Products Ready Brute Elite tow bar that incorporates a surge type brake in the hitch/tow bar assembly. Very simple. There are lots of inexpensive manual battery disconnect switches on Amazon. I also purchased a Roadmaster wiring kit to power the tail light system on the truck from the motorhome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #30

Can someone give me an explanation of flutter. Never heard that term before.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Can someone give me an explanation of flutter. Never heard that term before.
Me neither. Doesn't matter to me as the Colorado does not do it.

I have heard the other term used in this thread of death wobble.I know some Jeep models were prone to do so. A Google search should bring up a few scary videos.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #32

Regarding the battery disconnect. I was planning on installing a latching relay on the positive terminal. I assume they recommend the negative do to safety reasons. I was planning on disconnecting the positive cable.
Does anyone have any comments regarding why i shouldn't use the positive terminal ? I don't see any difference between the two options but more minds are hear to critique .

Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 02:44 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Regarding the battery disconnect. I was planning on installing a latching relay on the positive terminal. I assume they recommend the negative do to safety reasons. I was planning on disconnecting the positive cable.
Does anyone have any comments regarding why i shouldn't use the positive terminal ? I don't see any difference between the two options but more minds are hear to critique .

Thanks
Stick with the negative connection. For one it's simple and two it's better for your electronics. I have mine on the negative post.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #34

Quote:

Thanks

I am using the Roadmaster switch, which is designed for the positive terminal. However, if I were installing a manual switch I would install on the negative side of the battery.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #35

Quote:

Thanks

Refer to your owners manual under "Recreational Towing" for all the details on how to tow your Colorado/Canyon. Regarding the battery it says to disconnect the negative cable from the battery terminal and cover the post with a non-conductive material to make sure it can't make a connection to ground. I purchased one of many knife blade manual battery disconnects that mount to the battery terminal on one side and connect to the negative cable on the other side of the switch.
Very simple, easy to install and operate. Also quite inexpensive.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 PM   #36

I have wired a latching relay and a switch in the cab so just flip the switch and its disconnected. also good for when parked in garage for extended times. Using the positive side makes for a cleaner installation but i can use either.
I suspect the manufacture recommends the negative since its much more safer for the consumer to work with.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, I have my new Canyon now and although I don't have it tow ready yet, I;'ve been reading the owners manual(towing section). I'm a tad confused, after the the transfer case is in neutral, is the transmission shifter to be put in Neutral or Park for towing? In one paragraph, it refers to Neutral and another Park. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #38

American Coach Owners Club
My ‘18 ends up in park for towing.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #39

You need to read the structions very closely.
Turn engine off key to acc in drive, disconnect battery, shift to park.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Ok, I have my new Canyon now and although I don't have it tow ready yet, I;'ve been reading the owners manual(towing section). I'm a tad confused, after the the transfer case is in neutral, is the transmission shifter to be put in Neutral or Park for towing? In one paragraph, it refers to Neutral and another Park. Thanks in advance.

You leave it in drive to shut off the motor and then shift it to park for towing. The transfer case will be in neutral and not allow the transmission to move. I used the manual to set up a specific procedure for connecting and disconnecting my Colorado as the steps involved need to be followed exactly per the manual. Some early users (back when the newer Colorado was introduced) had issues that were resolved over time and the later manual reflects some lessons learned.

Where are you looking in the manual?
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
I know what you are referring to, the 2019 manual does not state where to leave the gear shifter. I have read it many times very carefully and it does not state the answer.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #42

This is from the manual it does not state where to set the gear selector for the transmission. When reading the instructions for disconnecting from the MH it refers to putting the gear selector into park so we can assume at least it is not to be left there for towing.
Last instruction is to leave in drive I guess??
Click image for larger version

Name:	175AB190-0768-446B-A3CD-B6DEC1C82C20.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	229841

Name:	052E9D03-6F04-4E77-80BA-D263A169A14E.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	229842

Name:	99AF20B9-4279-4993-985A-8D0C8FA1FBD4.jpg