Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
The CRV is one of the highest rated in the survey you posted above. "but" you stated in your original post which started this thread that ride and comfort "weren't" up to par for your wife and most likely yourself. There is a lot more involved in the selection of a vehicle than the surveys, also these are "predicted" figures, so nothing is concrete or truly scientific about them.

MCDDY posted above about the driveshaft disconnect being trouble free for a very long term. If you prefer the Toyota and this was the only worry then you have at least one concrete testimony that it should work for you. I've spoken with a few people who use them and haven't heard a complaint yet.

If you prefer the Honda then a little more research or a few more replies are in order before making a decision.

To each his own on the toad they prefer. I wasn't trying to be argumentative above. I have simply had better luck with domestics in the last 30 years, obviously others have not.
Either way I hope you gather your needed info and enjoy your new toad whichever you decide upon. As long as it satisfies your comfort and ride desires with the appearance and qaulity you desire, then all is good.

Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Flat Towing a Nonda Pilot Newer than 2006

I was having work done on our CR-V at the Honda Dealer today, and decided to "Broach," the question of towing a New Pilot once again. There appears to still be much confusion as to whether or not it may be advisable to try and tow the New Pilots. It seems that over the years various problems have surfaced while Honda Pilot Owners were towing their vehicles. The transmission on the Pilot appears to be more sensitive during the tow period than the CR-V. The Pilot tranny is a heavier built unit with more moving parts and is more subject to problems than the CR-V tranny. Apparently, keeping the tranny's fluid cool may be another issue as well. I.e.... the fluid doesn't circulate so while under tow, and there is no way to cool it.
In any event, none of the service personnel could give a good reason as to why Honda will not endorse the Toad Application for the Pilot. While speaking with the Service Techs at the dealership, I told them that I had called the Honda Tech line last fall in an effort to try and determine what the possibilities were in the event I purchased a new AWD 2011 Pilot. The Service Personnel at the Dealership couldn't believe that "The Honda Rep that I spoke with by phone was very short, and just "Blew Me Off." I got no where with the Honda Rep as I tried to explain my rational for inquiring about the risk of towing a new Honda Pilot, the Honda Rep didn't care to entertain my questions even though I told them I was interested in purchasing a new AWD Pilot, and I wanted to make an informed decision as to whether or not I was willing to risk the possibility of a voided Warranty in the event of damage due to towing the new AWD Honda Pilot.

The reason for my inquiry at the Dealership today was, that many of you, and some of my friends we camp with are in the market for a new Toad. But, apparently the Pilot is still not available as a Toad unit, or at least I haven't been able to find anyone that knows enough about the Pilot tranny to give me a comfortable feeling about trying to tow one. Good luck to all.
David

Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #17

Rather than asking that question here, and getting "I've been told" or "so and so does it," I'd look at the manual or call Honda...then you've got the correct info.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at the new Buick Enclave, they are beautiful, very quite and can be towed. My DW's car is a 2006 Pilot which has been a great car but, our next car will be the Enclave. I tow a Jeep Wrangler (total Jeep guy) and will also tow the enclave on ocasion.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Hoverbill, what some of us want to know is/are....there any folks who tow a new model Honda Pilot regardless of what the Honda manual states. Just because a Manufacturer doesn't want to stand behind their product under certain conditions(i.e...towing the Honda Pilot), doesn't mean that the product is 100% as the Manufacturer states. Some of us(myself included) want to try and find out why the Manufacturer makes their statement as to the non-tow(flat towing) of the Honda Pilot. I want to know what the risk factors are..... An example is....Ford stated that the late 80's Mustang 5 speed couldn't be flat towed w/o damaging the transmission. As you can see by my Signature, I tow an 88' GT 5 Speed. 35,000 towed miles. There may be wear going on in the transmission, but I'm willing to Risk any potential damage.
Thus, some of us might want to Risk flat towing the Honda Pilot, if we can get some technical info to give us a Risk Factor.
Now, Hardy1000, I see you may want to tow an Enclave. You might want to think about having to pull/replace the fuse each time you want to stop and crank the engine to circulate the transmission fluid. Each time you get ready to pull/replace the fuse, you have to raise the hood, remove the fuse cover(not real easy nor quick to remove, especially in rainy, hot sunshine weather, or night time towing, etc.) If you wire a disconnect switch to it, then GM may want to try and void your warranty. I have the 2011 Enclave myself, and it has it's good points, but fuel milage is not one of them. Having said all of this, I have collected all of the materials to hook up a disconnect switch when I can find the time. I am kindly providing this information/opinion for what ever it's worth.
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Hoverbill, what some of us want to know is/are....there any folks who tow a new model Honda Pilot regardless of what the Honda manual states. Just because a Manufacturer doesn't want to stand behind their product under certain conditions(i.e...towing the Honda Pilot), doesn't mean that the product is 100% as the Manufacturer states. Some of us(myself included) want to try and find out why the Manufacturer makes their statement as to the non-tow(flat towing) of the Honda Pilot. I want to know what the risk factors are..... An example is....Ford stated that the late 80's Mustang 5 speed couldn't be flat towed w/o damaging the transmission. As you can see by my Signature, I tow an 88' GT 5 Speed. 35,000 towed miles. There may be wear going on in the transmission, but I'm willing to Risk any potential damage.
Thus, some of us might want to Risk flat towing the Honda Pilot, if we can get some technical info to give us a Risk Factor.
Now, Hardy1000, I see you may want to tow an Enclave. You might want to think about having to pull/replace the fuse each time you want to stop and crank the engine to circulate the transmission fluid. Each time you get ready to pull/replace the fuse, you have to raise the hood, remove the fuse cover(not real easy nor quick to remove, especially in rainy, hot sunshine weather, or night time towing, etc.) If you wire a disconnect switch to it, then GM may want to try and void your warranty. I have the 2011 Enclave myself, and it has it's good points, but fuel milage is not one of them. Having said all of this, I have collected all of the materials to hook up a disconnect switch when I can find the time. I am kindly providing this information/opinion for what ever it's worth.
David
David,

Thanks for sharing your information about the Enclave as we all apriciate your actual experience. Mt 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon will be my primary toad and if I purchase the Enclave it will be the secondary. The Jeep will spoil you because there is nothing to do except hook it up put the transfer case in neutral trans in park and go. DW and I Fly Fish and like to get in the back country so the Jeep is perfect because we can go just about anywhere. The Pilot has been a great SUV but after driving the Enclave I was very impressed how quiet and the smooth riding it was. I hear you on the MPG but the Pilot gets 18-22 which is not that great these days.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #21

Mutt...understand your view point. I was going to get a new vehicle to tow and unwilling to take a chance on damaging the vehicle or losing my warranty. Thus a Honda CRV, where it tells you in the owner's manual it's okay to tow it and how to prepare it for MH towing.