Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceratto's Grotto View Post
We towed an '05 for several years back and forth between NW Wasington State and Arizona. Switched to a CRV for the last years for more room and ride sharing (no one likes to sit in back with my entusiastic driving). No problems and I still have the MCS (Mini Cooper S) and plan to tow it again. The only down side I found was the low clearance of the MCS requiring a drop in the hitch and having be a bit careful about avoided high and/or steep curbs and entrances.

Good point about the steep entrances. I had kind of thought about that. ... But so far I have only run up against one campground where that would have been a problem. (Salt lake city as I recall ...). Did you ever actually have the hitch drag on the ground when transitioning up a sloped drive?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #16

I towed my 2009 JCW Conv 6 speed manual, for first time for 3000 mile trip appeared to have no problems got home on feb 18. Drove car couple times since woke up this morning to find puddle of oil under front end. Oil was strange it was jumpstart like color and consistency of baby oil. I haven't had time to investigate but have no idea of cause. Was it attributed to towing 4 wheels down?

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I towed my 2009 JCW Conv 6 speed manual, for first time for 3000 mile trip appeared to have no problems got home on feb 18. Drove car couple times since woke up this morning to find puddle of oil under front end. Oil was strange it was jumpstart like color and consistency of baby oil. I haven't had time to investigate but have no idea of cause. Was it attributed to towing 4 wheels down?

Hurk

The minis have synthetic oil. Clearer and not dark like regular oil and less viscous ... Even after quite a few miles. What is "jumpstart" like color?
Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #18

The dipstick had color to it it didn't appear to be engine oil! I checked underneath and a little wet by the transmission area. The oil leak was very thin almost watery. I'll call BMW in morning to see if I can drive to shop or should get towed?
Old 02-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Good point about the steep entrances. I had kind of thought about that. ... But so far I have only run up against one campground where that would have been a problem. (Salt lake city as I recall ...). Did you ever actually have the hitch drag on the ground when transitioning up a sloped drive?

Yes, I bottomed the tow bar at the nut a couple of times, usually on entry from street to RV entrances. The threaded area on the bottom side of the nut became slightly deformed but it is not a safety, functional or structural problem (I had it checked out and even chatted with RoadMaster about it). "IF" the nut ever has to come off for some reason it will require some work though. On the the other hand, that nut will never come off by accident! This is not all that uncommon, as there was usually plenty of past driveway scrapes evidence left before, indicating that I was not at all alone in this issue where it did occur...
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #20

Quote:
The dipstick had color to it it didn't appear to be engine oil! I checked underneath and a little wet by the transmission area. The oil leak was very thin almost watery. I'll call BMW in morning to see if I can drive to shop or should get towed?

Hurk - did you get any input from the dealer on that puddle beneath your engine??
Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #21

Does anybody have a photo of the base plate on the Mini?
Goldwingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Towing Mini 4 down

I am not home yet, but have towed my Mini S 2009 about 6000 miles so far this year. I have had no problems with any of the issues in this thread. I have a Roadmaster hitch and Roadmaster plate on the Mini. I don't have a photo of it as it is quite a piece. You end up removing the original front support and replacing it with the Roadmaster base plate. I was originally concerned about the weight even after removing the tow accessories, but it does not seem to effect the handling or performance.
I am pulling it with a 38' Fleetwood (Freightliner Chassis, Cat 3126 engine). No issues with the "tail dragging" either. I have a 4" drop hitch from Etrailer (Roadmaster). It just gets me into the 4" safety range.
I do need to get a rear rock shield for the bus to keep some of the crud off the Mini. I also have an older RV with the "infamous" slobber tube. It wets the bumper and lower grill on the Right side.
I would never trade my Mini for any of the ubiquitous Japanese cars. It is way more fun!! What car can you say will lift up the front end at 75 mph when you hammer it? My Z06 is about the only one I know!!
Happy motoring!!
Turbinebob
Turbine Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:39 PM   #23

Have you checked with any mfgs??
Been on line to look??
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #24

Quote:

Hurk

Can you tell me which base plates you used? I checked with Blue OX, and Roadmaster. Neither claim to make a base plate for my 2009 Clubman JCW.
desant89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
I bought the one for my 2006 on the internet from (I think) etrailer Mini Cooper Base Plate for Tow Bar - 2009 | etrailer.com The photo looks like the one I installed and installation was not a real challenge.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #26

Flat Towing a Mini Cooper Manual Transmission - has anyone had problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desant89 View Post
Can you tell me which base plates you used? I checked with Blue OX, and Roadmaster. Neither claim to make a base plate for my 2009 Clubman JCW.

I used the Blu Ox base plate. Had it cut two small holes in grill for hitch to connect. As the JCW grill is black you can hardly see them. The chrome grill might be different.

Tags
manual, tow, towing, transmission