Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Flat Towing an Acadia

Just Purchased a 2014 GMC Acadia. Planning on Flat towing behind a 2014 Tiffin Phaeton. Have used a dolly behind a 2013 Bounder in the past. Need advice on what the best Flat Towing System for this vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster or Blue Ox are both good systems and you need to think about a toad brake system also.
I have always used Roadmaster brackets and tow bar and do the install my self also use Roadmaster Brakemaster because of ease of transfer to new toad or second vehicle. One of the best and cheapest sites for either is Etrailer also have videos showing installations.

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I use the Blue Ox Aventa LX on my 2007 Acadia. Brake system of your choice.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

I have used Roadmaster on my 04 Odyssey and my 12 Explorer and they worked well for me. I used SMI brake system on the Odyssey and am using RVi Brake system on the Explorer. I prefer the RVi brake because it is non-invasive and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the same setup as Gary on a 2012 Acadia Denali. The lower grill had to have some trimming done to accommodate the tow bar pins and the break away switch for the BrakeBuddy.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #6

Red face

Thanks for the input. These are very helpful, especially for a novice!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2013 Acadia Denali, and I also use the Blue Ox base plate and Aventa LX tow bar. I chose the SMI AirForceOne braking system and am very please with it. It does a good job and is extemely easy to use. The M&G system would also fit the bill.

In had a 12v battery feed installed in the pigtail to keep the Acadia battery charged while towing, so I would not have to pull the three fuses that GMC suggest (two of which are in the battery box on the floor behind the passenger seat). I checked with GMC tech support first, and they told me that on the 2013, that would be OK as the recommendation for pulling those fuses was to prevent battery draining. (There are other considerations on some earlier models.) HOWEVER, I quickly discovered that unless I pulled the 50a BATT 1 fuse in the engine compartment, that milage continued to accrue on the odometer while towing. So I installed a High Current RVing Fuse Switch under the hood so I wouldn't have to continually pry up the fuse box cover and pull that fuse.

Below is a picture I took showing where I installed that fuse switch. The reason the switch is so large, is that it contains a relay inside the housing so as to eliminate arcing associated with high current switching. (The small wire going to the ground lug is for the relay.)

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

Is it still necessary to remove (or switch) the THREE fuses on the Acadia? If so, when you replace the fuses or switch them back on does it have any negative impact on the vehicle electrical system?

Also, is it necessary to start and run the Acadia twice a day and at stops for fuel to lubricate the tranny, as I have read in other posts?
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased a 2014 Equinox which is very similar to the Acadia. Both are approved by GM for four wheel towing. (The Acadia is actually an identical twin to the Chevy Traverse, but aside from being a little longer and heavier, both models share similar designs and towing restrictions)

I recommend HIGHLY the following gear:
  1. Blue Ox Tow Baseplate and Towbar - Roadmaster is good too, but Blue Ox had a better setup for our vehicle with removable connection points our Chevy looks unaltered when they're removed. The Blue Ox is, however slightly more complicated to install and therefore the labor is a little higher.
  2. M&G Braking system - Unlike every other system on the market, this kit installs in-between the master cylinder and the power brake booster and effectively adds air brakes to your car. The car is totally unaffected when disconnected, and there are no cables to connect to the brake pedal or devices mounted under the dash. The system is manufactured specifically for your car model to apply just the right amount of braking to match your coach. It's a fantastic option. We added the optional kits for Breakaway and to add a light on the dash that illuminates when the brakes are applied in the car so we can see that it's working correctly.
  3. TowDaddy AutoFuse - This kit installs inside the car and automatically disconnects the fuse that keeps the battery from running down and miles from accumulating when towing...as Chevy recommends. I wired mine to sense power from the coach when the lights are plugged in (but not necessarily on) so it just WORKS when the car is plugged in..no issues! The Acadia has a more complex electrical system and two small and one large fuse must be disconnected. TowDaddy has a kit for both size fuses.
  4. Lighting kit - I specified to my installer that they MUST use a wiring harness with diodes AND that had plugs and sockets designed to match my vehicle so NO wiring was cut, spliced or damaged in any way. If the kit ever needs to be removed, the car will be as intact as it was from the factory. Several manufacturers make these, but they take a little longer to get.

We love our Equinox and I know you'll be happy towing your Acadia. Be sure to keep the speed below 65 and start the engine of the car at every stop as recommended by GM to keep the drive train happy.

Good Luck...you picked a good vehicle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilewsk View Post
Is it still necessary to remove (or switch) the THREE fuses on the Acadia? If so, when you replace the fuses or switch them back on does it have any negative impact on the vehicle electrical system?

Also, is it necessary to start and run the Acadia twice a day and at stops for fuel to lubricate the tranny, as I have read in other posts?
The fuses must be removed to ensure that the battery does not discharge while driving AND that miles don't accumulate (these models use wheel mounted speed sensors and WILL accumulate miles if the fuse is not pulled. We installed a TowDaddy AutoFuse kit on our Equinox. The Acadia will need more than one kit and requires two different types due to it's more complex electrical system.

The speed restriction (65MPH) and starting the vehicle frequently are required to ensure the vehicle's transmission is not damaged due to insufficient lubrication.

The 2014 Acadia manual can be found here: http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/g...2k14acadia.pdf
The requirements for Dinghy (four wheels down) towing can be found on page 10-75.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilewsk View Post

If you are asking me about fuses, I outlined that on message above. BATT 1 fuse is one of the three. I do not pull the other two in the battery box as previously stated. No ill effects. There were some reports of electrical system anomalies in some 2012 models if fuses replaced out of recommended sequence. No such problems for 2013 or 2014.

2014 manual suggests running once a day in the morning and at fuel stops. I don't generally drive more than 6 to 8 hours per day, so I don't have to worry too much about that, unless I park overnight without disconnecting.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2012 enclave which is very similar to your vehicle. I have towed it for two years now. My first advice to you is not to have any system installed that works with the vehicle lights. If you have any problem with your car that is going to be the first thing they blame. I made a light bar to fit in my trailer receiver hitch. We installed the 6 pin plug at the front of the car and then ran the wiring back to a plug by the receiver hitch and just plug the light bar in. At 20,000 miles we had to have the front brakes and caliper installed. The first thing that the GM engineers told my GM dealer to check was whether or not I had any of my tow lights hooked into the cars electrical system (I told them it was used as a tow vehicle) When I said no they asked me if the wiring going back to the light bar ran just from the plug to the light bar. I said yes and that it did not run to any of the cars electrical system. 2000 miles later we did the back rotors and calipers ( different dealer) We had the same questions about the brakes. When this dealer started checking he found there was a rare problem where the brake pedal was installed wrong and kept pressure on the pads at all times. The point being both dealers were told to question whether or not I had hooked into the cars wiring. IF you have the diodes and kits hooked into the car wiring and have a problem you are going to be arguing whether or not your wiring did it. I am sure they would have blamed the wiring for towing and not found the pedal problem if I had done it with the diodes.

I am also a big fan of RVi2 braking system.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Caution on using Blue Ox base plates

I just had Blue Ox base plates installed on my 2014 Buick Enclave and I am very unhappy at the way the base plate is made. The plate where the safety cables attach are flat and extend to far out making it extremely visible and really shows when you use it as your daily driver. A person could hit their leg on it if they are not careful. I will call Blue Ox tomorrow to see if I have any options. Maybe on the Arcadia it is different but I would should check.
freen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freen03 View Post
Maybe on the Arcadia it is different but I would should check.
No, it's no different on the Acadia base plate. I noticed right away that they stuck out further than on my old toad and were turned around 90 degrees. You get used to it after a while, but the older ones were indeed more discreet. If you do call Blue Ox for an explanation, please post here what they tell you. I'm also curious as to why they did that.

Tags
towing