Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
flat towing auto with engine running

can you flat tow vehicle with auto transmission by running the engine and the transmission in nutral? has anybody done this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would you do that???????????????????

Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
Why would you do that???????????????????
I would assume it's because the particular vehicle in question isn't approved for towing four down and running the engine would/might keep the transmission lubricated?

It'll be interesting if anyone pops up who has done it successfully.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do you will probably have a serious problem with toad brakes and I wonder what effect having the power steering active while towing would have. If this is a one time thing you might want to rent a tow dolly or leave the car home and rent from Enterprise.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I don't see any difference in doing that than coasting down a steep hill/grade with the transmission in neutral. Although coasting down a 300 mile hill/grade may be a different story. I'm sure the odometer would also rack up the miles.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
I don't see any difference in doing that than coasting down a steep hill/grade with the transmission in neutral. I'm sure the odometer would rack up the miles.
Good point about the odometer registering the miles. George probably brings up an issue which could be a deal breaker though. If toad brakes mash on the pedal while the power brakes are active it might be pretty ugly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
What about fuel usage? How about airflow for cooling being that close behind a RV?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55
can you flat tow vehicle with auto transmission by running the engine and the transmission in nutral? has anybody done this?
I used to do this with an old 1988 Chevy S10 Blazer I owned. It had over 150k on the clock and was well out of warranty

Yes... The idea is if the engine is running, the transmission pump will circulate the trans fluid (trans pump is driven off the torque converter).

I towed this way for a total of about 14,000 miles and never had a problem. At first I would stop periodically just to be sure it was still running, but after a while I quit worrying about it. Never fouled plugs because it was fuel injected.

It would burn about 2 gallons of gas in 8 hours (your milage may vary).

Now... Would I recommend this for a new vehicle... Probably not, but my S10 was very old, I figured I had nothing to lose.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #9

I actually did that for about 100 miles a couple of years ago. GS and I were on a fishing trip and on a schedule to get him back for his first football practice. Some dummy left the towd (CRV) in ACC overnight and the battery was dead. Since we were on a tight schedule, I jump started the car and then left it run until we stopped about 100 miles down the road. Battery had enough charge to start car, no issues with anything. Obviously it wasted fuel and the odometer recorded mileage but it did work.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #10

Sure. I had a Remco pump go out once and had to drive about 100 miles to a place where I could get another. It pulled just fine, and I wasn't the least concerned about the miles on the odometer. Also, I've had a low battery on the toad due to a 7 pin plug charge wire coming loose. I towed the truck about 2 hours with it at idle to charge the battery. Again, without a problem. As far as the overheating issue, the engine is running at idle, not producing any power, so cooling needs are minimal. I'd be surprised if the fans were even running.

I wouldn't hesitate to tow with the engine running for whatever reason. Obviously not the most fuel efficient tow, but easily done.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #11

What about brakes? I think my BB would lock up the toad brakes even at the lowest pressure.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
What about brakes? I think my BB would lock up the toad brakes even at the lowest pressure.
We have the RoadMaster BrakeMaster and I know it'll lock up the brakes even with a dead peddle, let alone with vacuum assist. That would be a problem for us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
yea, thanks for the reply.
I have towed a 2 jeeps, nissan, ford focus and I want something beside the limited available vehicles that can be towed flat 4 down.
the smi brake system will work I have a plug and play that I can adjust.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others here have suggested, letting the toad engine run to lubricate the trans will probably work unless the engine quits unexpectedly. With no lubrication the tranny could overheat or even fry itself in short order and that's a very big repair bill. A dolly or even full trailer would be a safer choice for your pocketbook.
Greg

Bobog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing