Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Jolly Roger is right,

Motorhome towing the 2012 Honda fit, (manual or automatic transmission model) is supported by Honda. See attached reprint from 2012 Fit owners manual.

Dealer gave you incorrect info

This info is from Honda Owner Link, Honda's official customer support site.
The two dealers gave me incorrect information...I'm shocked!!

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Hen

Thanks Mnt. Mike - my only reservation with Fit at this point, is trying to safely roof-top my canoe.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Hen

Thanks for getting back to me Cat320 - I thought the dealers gave you wrong info.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #18

I have a 2010 fit auto roadmaster base plates roadmaster 9300 air breaks the car tows great . I do not see any problems

John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
See attached reprint from 2012 Fit owners manual.....This info is from Honda Owner Link, Honda's official customer support site.
We hadn't really considered a toad when we owned a Roadtrek. Recently, though, we upsized enough to make a toad sound attractive.

We'd already been thinking of an AT Fit to replace one of our cars, so I'm interested in this discussion about the FIT as a toad. Couple things,

1. The .pdf Wanabee put up doesn't say anything about the 8 hr/day & 65 mph restrictions that Jolly mentions. Which is correct?

2. We already own a CRV, but I'm thinking the 900# difference between a CRV and a Fit is such that, towing with an E-450 drivetrain, I should wait to outfit a Fit as our Toad rather than go ahead and outfit our CRV. Any input here?

3. Is there a kit to charge the toad battery via the tow vehicle's electrical system while runnng with the toad in the ACC ignition position?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidger View Post
We hadn't really considered a toad when we owned a Roadtrek. Recently, though, we upsized enough to make a toad sound attractive.

We'd already been thinking of an AT Fit to replace one of our cars, so I'm interested in this discussion about the FIT as a toad. Couple things,

1. The .pdf Wanabee put up doesn't say anything about the 8 hr/day & 65 mph restrictions that Jolly mentions. Which is correct?

2. We already own a CRV, but I'm thinking the 900# difference between a CRV and a Fit is such that, towing with an E-450 drivetrain, I should wait to outfit a Fit as our Toad rather than go ahead and outfit our CRV. Any input here?

3. Is there a kit to charge the toad battery via the tow vehicle's electrical system while runnng with the toad in the ACC ignition position?
1. The fit manual states a maximum speed of 65 mph. I believe the distance is 500 miles per day. The one day I was going to go over that amount. I simply stated the car when I stopped for dinner and put the tranny trough the cycle and finished in neutral for a few minutes. Therefore the 500 mile piece is reset. Not too often I would drive 500+ miles in a day.

2. The fit is alot lighter. Curb weight is only 2,500#

3. I have never pulled the fuse and have never had any issue with the battery getting too low. Just my experience.

It's a great little toad and when you put those back seats down you have a lot of storage space.

Dan
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidger View Post

The pdf states the 65 mph limit on the 1st page, right side of the document.
The second page of the pdf addresses the 8 hour limit and states to repeat the towing procedure if towing for more then 8 hours.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
The second page of the pdf addresses the 8 hour limit and states to repeat the towing procedure if towing for more then 8 hours.
My question on that is how to interpret that 8hours. If I tow it 8 hours and stop over night, do I need to repeat the towing procedure of am I "good to go"? Not a big deal at all, just not how I would have written that.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The two dealers gave me incorrect information...I'm shocked!!
If this were not so prevalent and true it would be very funny! It is absurd the amount of bad/ incorrect/ don't know what they are talking about info that dealers dish out!
It's bad enough that we know they lie about stuff, but now we have to figure out how misinformed they are also!

Thank God for the internet and forums!

Dan
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
My question on that is how to interpret that 8hours. If I tow it 8 hours and stop over night, do I need to repeat the towing procedure of am I "good to go"? Not a big deal at all, just not how I would have written that.
It's for every eight hours on the clock, so it needs to be done again in the morning before starting out. Also includes lunch and site seeing breaks. I'd just do it whenever you stop for lunch or a break.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Oops, musta been these bifocals. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Just buy a manual transmission and you won't have to worry about cycling it every 8 hours. Plus, the MT makes for a "peppier" drive anyway.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #27

Today I purchase a 2012 Honda Fit 5 speed automatic. It can be tow behind a motor home. Page 159 in the owner manual give the instruction also I called Honda to confirm it. Now I need to get the front mount. I think I will not use a Brake Buddy this time.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, the Fit and the CR-V are the only two Honda's presently OK'd to tow four down, in fact it's been that way since 2005, except for a few 2005 Pilots.

Luckily we had it in writing on Honda letterhead that our '05 Odyssey we bought to tow four down was towable four down. Helped us get our money back on the towing equipment we bought anbd had installed.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing