Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Hen

Flat towing Honda Fit

I am seriously considering purchase of a new Fit, specifically for flat towing. It is approximately 1/2 the gross wt., of my RV's towing rated capacity and therefore should tow like it is not there ??? Also anticipate not much loss in fuel economy with the RV (powered by an 08 Ford V-10, in a 24 Ft. mini-winie. Has anyone flat towed the Honda Fit, and what was your experience ?? Thanks, Hen.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Up through the 2011 model, the Fit was towable four down. I visited two Honda dealers last Sat and both said the 2012 model is no longer towable four down.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Up through the 2011 model, the Fit was towable four down. I visited two Honda dealers last Sat and both said the 2012 model is no longer towable four down.
No change as far as I know, but I'll check the FMCA towing guide when I can get the site to come up.
I couldn't get into the FMCA site but Motorhome Magazine lists the 2012 Fit as towable four down using the same steps as the CR-V.
Find different dealers or have them call the service line and ask, that way they'll know for the next customer.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

I'm currently towing a 2010 Honda Fit Sport with the 5 speed automatic. I've had absolutely no problems with this set up and recommend the Fit.

Mike
Old 02-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Hen

Thanks Cat 320 - did they get the non-towable information from the 2012 vehicle manual, or from another source ?? I have had a local dealer here telling me it is flat towable, and was also e-mail a copy of a manual page that states towable. However, that page could have been from a 2011 manual ???
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Hen

Thanks, Mr. D : this is confusing, since the local dealer had e-mailed me a copy of a page from a Fit manual that states it is flat towable - but that could have been from a 2011 vehicle.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
Thanks Cat 320 - did they get the non-towable information from the 2012 vehicle manual, or from another source ?? I have had a local dealer here telling me it is flat towable, and was also e-mail a copy of a manual page that states towable. However, that page could have been from a 2011 manual ???
I don't know where they got the information. I was with my daughter who was shopping for a new Accord and happened to mention towing my CRV...that's when they said the Fit was not towable any more.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Hen

Can you give me the contact information for this Dealer, as I would like to clarify with them. A local dealer has sent me e-mail with an excerpted page from what is reportedly the 2012 Fit owner's manual - saying that it is flat towable, and giving prep instructions ?? The Fit is 1000 # lighter than the CRV, which I am convinced will be better for my mini winne, with the 6.8 L gas engine. I appreciate your hanging in there, until I can resolve the mixed info. I can't afford to make a mistake here. Thanks, Hen
Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Frank Fletcher Honda, don't have the sales guy's name, (417) 883-4330.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Remember the old saying...."if a salesman's lips are moving...."?

Take a look at the manual yourself for the vehicle in question. Most of the salesman wouldn't know the difference between flat towing and towing in any format.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Honda Fit

I just bought a 2012 Honda Fit to be flat towed. I looked at the owner’s manual before buying and it gave instructions for towing behind a Motorhome. It can be flat towed for up to 8 hrs a day at speeds up to 65 mph.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #12

I bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze with 6sp AT. The manual and all other resources indicated it was flat towable. Eleven months later GM sent out a supplemental page for the manual stating the AT was not flat towable. The letter that came with that said that transmission failures related to flat towing wouldn't be honored.

GM did right by buying back the car under the lemon law at full retail. I had over 20K miles on it. I replaced it with a 2012 Cruze Eco with 6 sp manual. They even paid taxes and tag fees.

So you can't always trust the manual. Sometimes the transmissions are changed (improved) from year to year. If you get a manual AT you will always be safe.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
I am seriously considering purchase of a new Fit, specifically for flat towing. It is approximately 1/2 the gross wt., of my RV's towing rated capacity and therefore should tow like it is not there ??? Also anticipate not much loss in fuel economy with the RV (powered by an 08 Ford V-10, in a 24 Ft. mini-winie. Has anyone flat towed the Honda Fit, and what was your experience ?? Thanks, Hen.
Jolly Roger is right,

Motorhome towing the 2012 Honda fit, (manual or automatic transmission model) is supported by Honda. See attached reprint from 2012 Fit owners manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Dealer gave you incorrect info

This info is from Honda Owner Link, Honda's official customer support site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motorhome towing Honda Fit.pdf (57.4 KB, 947 views)

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I agree most sales people don't know what flat towing is. When I asked about the weight of the car he gave me the gross weight. The Fit is a great little toad and when you put down the back seats you have alot of storage!

Dan

Tags
towing