Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 12:23 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Pressure reducer/regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Anyone use the Roadmaster Brakemaster system on their LX470? Roadmaster says I need a pressure reducer.I know it has active electric hydroboost brakes but I tow my LX with the key in the off position so I'm not sure that the power brakes work with the key off.
Hi bird Hunter!

I tow my 2019 4Runner Off Road Premium with the Roadmaster Brakemaster system. I also tow with the ignition key in, but turned fully off, to keep the starring wheel lock from activating. On mine, the power brakes work at all times. So in my case they are correct that you need a pressure reducer/regulator, or the brakes will lock up every time you apply the motorhome brakes. I tried several cheap regulators, but they were not accurate or consistent enough. I finally ordered a low pressure one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus...64ZZNEGF4ZQ8VH

I set it at about 8 psi and it works really well. 10 to 12psi will work, but you will really feel the car braking hard behind you. At the 15 psi that Brakemaster told me to try first, the wheels would almost lock up.

Good luck and regards,
Tad
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #44

Thanks Tad.
I guess the questions would be do you have the same type of braking system as my lx470? Is it an electro hydroboost system with an accumulator? second question is did you try the regulator that Roadmaster sells before you purchased this nice little one?

Rich 2002 Country Coach Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Hi bird Hunter!

I tow my 2019 4Runner Off Road Premium with the Roadmaster Brakemaster system. I also tow with the ignition key in, but turned fully off, to keep the starring wheel lock from activating. On mine, the power brakes work at all times. So in my case they are correct that you need a pressure reducer/regulator, or the brakes will lock up every time you apply the motorhome brakes. I tried several cheap regulators, but they were not accurate or consistent enough. I finally ordered a low pressure one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlus...64ZZNEGF4ZQ8VH

I set it at about 8 psi and it works really well. 10 to 12psi will work, but you will really feel the car braking hard behind you. At the 15 psi that Brakemaster told me to try first, the wheels would almost lock up.

Good luck and regards,
Tad
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #45

Yeah I think the electric booster pump has to run for the power brakes to work with the engine off. I'll look into it.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
My brake system is also the electro hydroboost system. Not sure if they are the exact same though. My power brakes are always active unless I disconnect the battery. I did not try the Roadmaster pressure regulator as it was more expensive and needed a permanent mount in the car. I mounted the regulator right on the Brakemaster brake unit itself where the air line normally attaches.

So far I have had no problems. I don’t have anything mounted permanently that would show Toyota that I am towing it 4 down as my dealer said it could void my drivetrain warranty.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #47

Thank you Tad this is extremely helpful. So did you have to run power from the coach to your 4Runner to prevent the battery from running down due the electro-hydroboost coming on when your towing it?

Rich
Old 09-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
I have not added a 12volt power source from the coach to the 4Runner. I have towed 3 days in a row without unhooking, with no noticeable problem with a low battery or starting issue. I am at Lake Powell this week, but I will put up a picture of my brake unit with my regulator mod when I get back if you want.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #49

Quote:
I have not added a 12volt power source from the coach to the 4Runner. I have towed 3 days in a row without unhooking, with no noticeable problem with a low battery or starting issue. I am at Lake Powell this week, but I will put up a picture of my brake unit with my regulator mod when I get back if you want.
That would be great Tad. To
Old 09-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #50

Flat towing Lexus LX470

Bypass tapping into the brake system and just get an RVI brake 3. While you can certainly do it, the rvi brake makes it way simpler.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #51

Quote:
Tad, if your back I would really like to see the pictures of your pressure regulator install and the fittings that you used to put it on the brake master. You could pm me if you like. I would also like to know if you installed the brake switch operated LED that goes to the dash of your coach. The breakaway system?

Rich
Old 09-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rich,

I just got back and will get a pic tomorrow. I did install the red LED brake light on the dash of my old coach. After 6 years and 35,000 miles towing my Jeep, I never had the Brakemaster fail to work or release as it should, so I am not installing it in my new coach. I do have my wife check at hookup to be sure it is working as it should.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Rich,

I just sent you an email with some pics attached.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #54

Pics too please

Can I get some pics of your setup too? Pulling an 02 LX470 here, and wanting to get the setup correctly installed.
Big Greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I figured it might be useful for others in the future if I showed how I ended up wiring the lights on my 06 lx.

I was able to tap into the existing rear led taillights by running the 4 wire blue ox kit front to back. I ran the wires through the rubber boot that covers all the electrical wiring coming in to the coach.

As it sits now, I have full functionality including license plate and third brake light as well.

Really Simple and I’m super pleased I have oem lights when towing. No drilling holes and it all works as it should!

One issue I had concern about was What would happen If the coach activated the brake lights and my braking system pressed the pedal. Well it turns out nothing happens. The rear lights being led only take the charge needed so No fuses blow and nothing is damaged. I also added a 12v charge line from the coach so no dead battery.

Black wire - ground
Red - brake lights/turn signal
Yellow - tail lights

Really easy and straight forward. As others have stated procedure for towing: key on, shift trans to N, shift transfer case to N, shift trans back to P, turn key all the way off but leave key in ignition to keep steering unlocked!

Hope this helps!

Attachment 233292
Attachment 233293
Thanks for the great info! Just picked up my 08 Camelot and was super excited to find out that my 06 LX470 can be 4-toad! Can you post the model number of the wiring kit?

Already got the tow bars etc mounted

Oh and my first post here
Max4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Tad, if your back I would really like to see the pictures of your pressure regulator install and the fittings that you used to put it on the brake master. You could pm me if you like. I would also like to know if you installed the brake switch operated LED that goes to the dash of your coach. The breakaway system?

Rich
The LC/LX 100 series does not need a pressure regulator for the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9xxx units. I’ve towed mine 4-down for over 10,000 miles without a regulator; no issues. Brakes still work like a champ!
Big Greener is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing