Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Gulf Streamers Club
flat towing lifted jeep w/ spring over

Getting ready for a trip to the jeep trails. Going to flat tow my jeep behind the motor home.Using a kit from walmart. The jeep has considerable lift with 35" tires , a spring over suspension,1 1/2" lifted springs,and a 2 1/2" shackle reverse kit. I have welded on the tow bar brackets to the face of the shackle bracket's below the front bumber. This is all heavy duty steel , and reinforced. The bracket is above the spring eye. When the jeep is hooked up to the r.v. ,(Ive taken a 10" drop, bar upside down) It sets level. Do you think the jeep suspension will turn ok? or have any problems? this jeep manual says to put in the key and set to freewheel. should I bungee the wheele? any concerns?

sunsport96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
I've towed my lifted CJ7 over 10,000 miles and had only one issue when one of the bolts that was mounted on the winch mount broke , didn't breakaway completely , just half and the aux brake did it's job and set off the alarm in the coach and put the jeeps brakes on. Mine is not a springover , but it sounds like your pretty high up. If the bar is level you should be okay. I would remove the drivshaft just because you have no idea what is going behind you while your driving . The backup camera only shows you that the jeep is still there . I undid mine at the rearend hung it with rubber bungie cords when I went out to the Easter Jeep Safarie in Moab. That was 2511 miles from Cape Cod Ma. to Canyonlands campground in Moab. I would suggest you take it to a large parking lot and hitch it up and drive around making lots of turns , just to make sure the wheels return to center, maybe have someone drive the coach and you watch from outside. You didn't say what your jeep is so I will add MAKE SURE STEERING WHEEL IS UNLDCKED. Have SAFE AND FUN TRIP.

2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
As long as your caster is within/near spec you shouldn't have a problem. Like the front wheels on a grocery cart that have a lot of caster they will always seek to follow the path they are pushed or pulled to. We tow a Jeep Liberty that has a 2.5" suspension lift and has 10" X 30.5" 16 tires and have no problem at all. I checked the wheel alignment figures to make sure that the caster was near spec and it tows just fine. Just make sure that if you have a locking steering column that the key is in the unlock position. Oh yeah, DO NOT try to back the MH with the Jeep in tow. The caster will cause the wheels to turn to lock one way or another and something will bend/break. That is a given. If you get in a tight spot get out and unhook, back up and then reattach the Jeep.

Moab is great. Wish we were going along. Wonderful trails and scenery. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Gulf Streamers Club
Thank's for the info.. I will make sure to get all squared away, before hitting the road. The caster angle at top is just past center towards the front. runs straight when driving. hope i dont have to shim the springs..
sunsport96 is offline   Reply With Quote