Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Hen

Flat Towing Small Trucks

My class C motor home has a towing capacity of 5000 #, and therefore I can not consider towing a full-sized truck. Would like to remain below 4000#, starting curb wt. Need to use a Dinghy towed small truck as my primary vehicle, and avoid added expense for a small car (just for towing). My research to date indicates that there are few options, among both foreign and domestic manufacturers that will warrant a small truck (with auto transmission) when flat towed. Fewer still that can be towed without modifications. Thus far Chevy Colorado 4 WD is the only truck that fits this need. I can not believe there are not other options. Would appreciate any leads - Thanks, Hen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hen,I have the same problem.I am towing a 93 Toyota T100 that needs to be replaced.I am using a drive line disconnect,that has worked very well for me.
I would like to buy another Toyota,but they make no small ones now.No one makes a small pickup anymore.
Doyle
mackpeteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Hen. Find a small truck that you may be interested in towing and then check the Remco site. http://www.remcotowing.com/ . It could be a driveshaft disconnect or lube pump is all you would need to make it towable.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Hen

Appreciate response. Although I am aware of after market gear that should make a small truck towable, I would not wish to do so, unless Flat-towing is supported by the manufacturer and warranty.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Hen

Appreciate response. Although I am aware of after market gear that should make a small truck towable, I would not wish to do so, unless Flat-towing is supported by the manufacturer and warranty.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The 2006-2010 Ford Ranger 4WD automatic is towable without mods, but it needs the Ford Neutral Tow kit installed. I have heard that the kit is hard to find these days, though there may be substitutes or workarounds. Use the iRV2 SEARCH to find more info on the Ford Neutral Tow Kit.

Info on the Ford Neutral Tow kit here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/good-...in-101067.html
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #7

Some of the 4x4 Dakota's are flat towable. Mine is I know ('06 w/AWD) - but it's pretty heavy (pushing 5000), and thinking the Colorado will be as well? Even the older ones are well over 4000lbs. empty - which is why we went with a CRV.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
JDT

Hen, not sure if you are looking at new or used, but just some info. I read that production of the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado will be discontinued about mid year. A new, redesigned model will come out later this year as a 2013. Not sure if it will be towable but I sure hope it is. I will probably replace my Sierra in the next year or so and I would like to downsize with one I can pull behind the motorhome. The Ford Ranger and Dodge Dakota have both been discontinued and will not be replaced according to what I read. If you are buying new I think the GM models are it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just purchased an 2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4, v-8 crewcab, it is towable 4 down, looked at the canyon and colorado but the dakota seems bigger inside. These are the only newer mid size trucks that can be towed without a driveline disconect that I know of..............
stryker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Hen

Flat Towing Small trucks

I appreciate the responses and useful information to date. Thanks to all. Several days ago I asked Chevy e-contact staff if a 4W drive, auto transmission, extended cab colorado with 5.3 L engine was available and what the staring curb wt. is. Also asked them to verify it is flat towable without modification (some independent earlier reviews on the 3.7 5 cylinder engine are not good). They responded that there are none available anywhere and it would have to be special ordered. I'm still waiting for the verify and curb wt.

Hen
Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
I appreciate the responses and useful information to date. Thanks to all. Several days ago I asked Chevy e-contact staff if a 4W drive, auto transmission, extended cab colorado with 5.3 L engine was available and what the staring curb wt. is. Also asked them to verify it is flat towable without modification (some independent earlier reviews on the 3.7 5 cylinder engine are not good). They responded that there are none available anywhere and it would have to be special ordered. I'm still waiting for the verify and curb wt.

Hen
Prior to buying my Dakota, I took a close look at the Colorado as well. If I remember this right, those Colorado V-8's were made available because of the way the small Hummer bombed sales wise. They aren't something GM is trying to push/market at all. I think the Hummer has the same drive train as the V-8 Colorado? What I'm getting at, is to check Colorado 4 down capability, you might have a look at the Hummer's capability? Weights may be similar as well?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the 3.7 I5 4X4 extended cab and it tows like a dream. It has a transfer case with neutral and all I do is shift it to neutral put the auto tranny in park and tow. nothing has to be added or changed to tow. I think it actually tows as easily as the CRV did even tho it is 700 lb heavier.

Glenn
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Hen

Glenn: How long have you been towing the Colorado ?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Yaj

I've been towing a 2004 crew cab Colorado 4X4 for about 3 years now, about 20,000 miles so far. Tows great, easy to hook up, bed loaded with tools and a cap. I love my Ready Brute w/Ready Brake tow bar. I've been real happy, both as a good truck and a Frog! 130,000 indicated miles and I need tires again! Some of the 5 cyl engines had a problem with valve seats and some of heads were replaced which apparently fixed the problem. So if a used one had a head replaced it should be good to go!

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing