Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
Location: We are now cruising the South West in search of Bluegrass Festivals.
Two replies:
First: concerning towing in Park:

When I get hooked up, I put the key in position 1, place the transmission in neutral and pull the coupling knob. I then put the transmission in park. The key stays in the ignition.
At the end of the journey I place transmission in neutral and start the engine. You then simultaneously turn off the engine and mash the knob back in the home position.
I don't think MB takes a position on this. The service manager in Salem Oregon didn't predict dire consequences when I talked over my plans with him. His only warning was to use new bolts each time I disconnected the driveline if I wanted to tow that way.

Second concerning pintle style hitch:

The simple answer is I was only informed of the pintle style 20,000 tow bar. I was expecting to put on a 10,00 lb ball style, but the owner at Specialties RV refused to put anything less than 20,000 lb. I presume for fear that I would overload the van. I guess I could have done some more homework.

I issued a new blog on my personal web site today. There are several photos there.

Gary and Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
Location: We are now cruising the South West in search of Bluegrass Festivals.
We have towed about 3000 miles without any issues. Fuel economy is probably lower, but until I have run through several tanks of fuel I won't be able to quantify that. It is that close. I don't pass as many trucks going up the passes, but it is not lugging down either.
To tow we simply start up the Sprinter and place in neutral. I then pull the disconnect knob. I shut it down and place it in park and turn the key on one notch.
I turn the "Stay in Play" brake unit on, hook up the draw-bar, safety chains and lights. I also visually confirm that I can see daylight between the disconnect halves. I have one visual aid. I have a pair of ping pong balls mounted on foot long 1/4" dowel rods. The dowel rods have a steel sleeve and fender washer on the end. This snaps into place on the magnetic door catch at the back of the Sprinter. I can see this in the mirrors and easily judge where the rear of the tow is.

Gary and Judy is offline   Reply With Quote