Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #15

76,104 tow miles so far (one pump replacement very early on and Remco just sent it right out) no problems...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just installed one on my 09 Jeep Liberty. One trip under our belt with no problems! PITA to install though!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-brenda View Post
I am wanting to use a Remco pump on a 2012 Ford Escape that we bought and found out after the fact that it couldn't be successfully flat towed. With that being said, we are looking for some positive responses to this application. However, if anyone has any negatives experiances, please respond as we need to know.
Below is quote from Remco's web site on the 2012 Ford Escape.
Application Notes

Towable as is from Manufacturer. Refer to Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures. Manufacturer has speed restriction on vehicle while towing so Remco offers a Lube Pump Kit (LP FORD KIT) so end user can tow beyond Manufacturer's speed restriction.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a Remco Lube Pump Kit, Do you also need the Drive Shaft Disconnect? I have a FWD Hyundai Tibron, And a GMC RWD truck. both automatic. What would be the best way to go?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Buick LeSabre

If you have the lube pump, a driveshaft disconnect is not required on a front wheel drive vehicle. Driveshaft disconnect is primarily for rear wheel drive.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #20

Quote:
I am wanting to use a Remco pump on a 2012 Ford Escape that we bought and found out after the fact that it couldn't be successfully flat towed. With that being said, we are looking for some positive responses to this application. However, if anyone has any negatives experiances, please respond as we need to know.
We tow a 2011 Escape. After 5,000 towing miles no problems. I think the key is the proper fluid level adjustment. The fluid temp must be up to 185 degrees or more to get a proper reading.

I installed a ScanGauge on our Escape before departing for Florida in October. Temperature got to 176 and then after five or ten minutes being stopped it rose to 190 (no more air moving under it when not moving). It is necessary to run the engine for five minutes at the start of towing while shifting through the gears and then again after six hours or when stopping for fuel or for any length of time.

It should be noted that the GM manual for the Equinox/Terrain requires the same procedures at start up and after six hours. It also requires pulling a fuse which doesn't have to be done on the Escape.

DW loves her Escape (she had an Equinox previously) I'm going to have a good time getting it away from here in a few years. I have a feeling that the next version of the Escape may not be towable.

An interesting vehicle that can be towed is the 2012 Focus. But, DW likes to sit up higher and a Focus or any other car like that (such as a Malibu we rented recently) would not even make her long list.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

I have a remco pump on my 2002 Toyota Highlander and it works great . I had a little problem with dripping trans oil but they fixed it quickly . Fitting cracked .
My friend has a escape , and has burned up one transmission , they told him about the dip stick adjustment , then they said to get a remco pump . The pumps are expencive but why tear up the trans . Good luck . T. T.

2002 Winnebago V 10
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #22

As peviously stated, we have purchased a 2012 Ford Escape for flat towing behind a Winnebago Itasca Horizon. Also as stated we did not want to go out and try flat towing the vehicle with the past history of transmission failures and incurring out of pocket cost for such failures even though the transmission is under warranty. So, after doing 3 months of investigation we installed a Remco pump before leaving Springfield Illinois for Florida. In route we followed a TSB's issued by Ford and have had no problems to date. We are keeping an operational log of all pertinant information including ambient temperatures and various transmission components via infra red temp. guage.
We are confident that the installation of the Remco pump is the answere for these transmission problems with this vehicle.
Remco has put a lot of research along with Ford Motor Co. to develope this application.
We will keep all posted on future events and success of our Remco pump application in the future.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Remco pump

Tom /Brenda , I am really happy with my Remco pump on my 2005 Toyoya Highlander . The Highlander gives a nice ride and plenty of storage when your taking a trip .
I always check my alarm system on the coach before I pull off to make sure all systems are go .
The Remco pump is a good investment when it comes to flat towing . I had no trouble selling my tow dolly , and I don't miss crawling under it when we go , and finding a place to store it in the campground .

Happy travels , Tommy Trucer
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not used a lube pump but have been reading the forums for some time. I have heard of one or two failures, including at least one that cost the owner a transmisison.

Considering the hundreds I've heard from who use the lube pump.. that is really very good.

The other options for 4-down towing are an axle lock or Drive shaft disconnect.

Regarding the Axle lock (used on front wheel drives) I have not heard of a failure PERIOD. The technology is older than I am and in all that time I have heard of one case, and only one, where the technology failed (I'm over 60) and that was due to a technician failing to lubricate the wheel properly. (in short not the technology's fault but a persons).

Drive shaft disconnect are used on rear wheel drive and failurs here are more common, they come in two types. Vibration and cable freezing up. the latter is easily fixed.

I prefer passive technology to active.. but quite frankly that is a personal preference, and I'd have no problem recommending the lube pump.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #25

Quote:
So did you insatall one?
Old 05-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the Lube Pump.. Who was it up-thread Mr-D who mentioned a failure.

REMCO for many vehicles offers a choice of a lube pump and either a Drive Shaft Disconnect or an Axle Lock.

For many years I posted that I suspected the Drive Shaft Disconnect was nothing more than a spline clutch.. Well, a couple weeks ago I got a look at one and guess what. That is exactly what it is. These have a very low failure rate (I have heard of failures)

The axle lock .. Well the technoolgy used there has been around longer than I have (I'm 61) and I have NEVER heard of a failre save for one case where .. Well it was a technician's fault and he had to fix it. WHen I was a pre-driver, I noticed the locking hubs (Wagner I think was the make) used on Jeep front axles.. Same technology it was one of these which failed after a wheel bearing repack by a dumb technician. (Did not grease it).

The axle lock.. well it takes care of lubrication by different means so that can't happen.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #27

You might be referring to "Warn locking hubs" on the Jeeps.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could I save some money, buy a 12v fluid circulation pump, some hose and wire and not buy the $800-1200 Remco Lube Pump-1. Has anyone done this?

Tags
toad, towing