Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #1

Flatbed towing questions from a newbie

We just got our first RV (technically haven't picked it up, but will in a couple weeks while it's getting prepped) and I have several questions that I hope you guys might be able to help us with. The RV is a used 2013 Fleetwood Expedtion and we intend to full-time it in 6-12 months. About two months ago, though, I got into a three year lease on a new Camaro. So, before any suggestions about using another car, understand, that I absolutely love the car and look forward to cruising in a sports car once we get to our destinations. (I know it won't be ideal for some places, but we intend to follow the seasons)

The Camaro is definitively unable to be flat-towed or dolly towed. Thus, I need to get a flatbed. First, as a noob to this, how come it is so hard to find a good used flatbed? I've searched Craigslist and 1 or 2 other sites, and there are only a sporadic few. Most, in fact, say that they are home made. That's just a little scary for me, a first timer. Particularly don't want a trailer falling apart with that car on there. Of course, I could go new, but at best I'm seeing about $2500. It's $3,000 if I want the front shield.

That leads me to a second question which to me is very important: Is a front shield necessary? Can I use a car cover instead? Will a car cover even work going down the road? Will rocks, gravel, dirt, etc. fly up on to the vehicle on the flatbed without a shield?

What about brakes? I will be getting one with brakes, but when getting a trailer what do I need to know? I assume it connects to the RV air brakes somehow, or is it electronically controlled? (this may be an obvious question, but I totally admit I knew to this).

Final question. Any recommendations about a tow bar? What am I looking for?

Thanks so much in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally if it was me I would look for an enclosed car hauler trailer large enough for the Camaro. One with a V shaped front and a side door for getting in and out of the car. It would also have surge brakes.

You wouldn't need a tow bar with a trailer.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you confirmed that the MH can tow that much weight (trailer plus Camaro)? What engine is in the mH?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Are you sure your camero cannot be flat towed. My research showed some gm vehicles have automatic trans that you just place the shifter in neutral and tow it. Of course if you have a stick shift it can be towed for sure.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:27 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
angelbones-

Here is a link to a Google search for iRV2 posts with the phrase "car trailer" in them.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
angelbones-

Here is a link to a Google search for iRV2 posts with the phrase "car trailer" in them.
Searched this forum for hours. Still can't find advice to my question though (other than the enclosed idea which is frankly much more than I want to spend).
Old 07-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you live?

I have a friend that lives in California that came to Georgia to visit. While he was here I took him to look at some enclosed trailers. He said they were much cheaper here than California

Here is an example: http://www.storagetrailersmacon.com/...-Bonaire-GA-20

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #8

Wihy cant it be dolly towed?

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #9

Another vote for an enclosed car trailer. Seems like all car trailers hold their value.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
Another vote for an enclosed car trailer. Seems like all car trailers hold their value.
Would love to get an enclosed one, but I'm generally seeing about $10k+ for an enclosed and $3k for an open one with a shield. Just not feasible.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #11

racingjunk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Would love to get an enclosed one, but I'm generally seeing about $10k+ for an enclosed and $3k for an open one with a shield. Just not feasible.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Did you read my post above?

2016 Cynergy Cargo 8.5x20CH-wh Bonaire GA 20 :: Mobile Space :: Trailers Atlanta GA,Bubba Grills Macon Georgia,Storage Containers Bonaire,Portable Offices,Enclosed Custom Trailers,Mobile Offices Atlanta,Cargo Utility Trailers,Harley Davidson,Modular

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 07-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

An open trailer will be fine. If you do want enclosed you can buy one for much less than 10k. I bought a 8.5x20 enclosed for $5500. I also have an open trlr that i pd $4500 for but its rated higher than the enclosed. Both were bought new.
These guys are all over the country.
https://www.trailersplus.com/invento...category=FltCC
Old 07-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
An open trailer will be fine. If you do want enclosed you can buy one for much less than 10k. I bought a 8.5x20 enclosed for $5500. I also have an open trlr that i pd $4500 for but its rated higher than the enclosed. Both were bought new.
These guys are all over the country.
https://www.trailersplus.com/invento...category=FltCC
I appreciate the links. They have all been very helpful. Racingjunk.com I bookmarked. Meanwhile, I found something out that affects my decision. First, while an enclosed hauler would be optimal, I'm afraid I'd be pushing it with my hauling limit to be 7500 lbs. More importantly, though, is under Florida law, if the trailer's actual weight is 1,999 lbs. or less it doesn't need the same registration and thus cheaper to keep. So, I guess an enclosed hauler is probably out (I've seen some that are intentionally made under that weight limit but they are 10-$15k). Back to one of my original questions. Do I need to worry about rocks, gravel, etc. if I do not have a cover or shield for the car?

Tags
newbie, tow, towing