Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Flatbed trailer

I am all set for my Newmar Baytar 29' to tow my Honda CRV. I now would like to take my Mazda Miata MX5 on just a few trips. Weighs approx. 2500 lb. Thinking Flatbed. Any opinions on how best to tackle this on a very limited basis. Possibly renting something?

Andy & Elizabeth Farmer
Andyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Rental trailers are built pretty stout to handle the abuse of lots of use. They probably weigh near as much as the Miata. You also need to think about where you're going to park this trailer once you get where you're going.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfarmer View Post
Any opinions on how best to tackle this on a very limited basis.
Andy,

IF (Big IF) your Miata is a Manual Transmission, you can tow it 4-down.
It is easy...... I tow mine.

If it is an automatic transmission, a trailer is your best option. If you don't plan to tow it too often, check into a rental. A trailer and your Miata should be about 4,000 pounds (open trailer 1500, Miata 2500).

PM me if you want more information on flat towing. I have installed brackets on several older and a couple of newer (2006+) Miatas.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

Me too, flat tow. What's your towing limit? If 5,000 lbs then you're going to be at your limit with the trailer and miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
If 5,000 lbs then you're going to be at your limit with the trailer and miata.
Bruce,

I sometimes tow my Austin Healey in an enclosed trailer.

My trailer weighs 2,000 and my Healey is 2,400 = 4400#.

A open rental trailer should be lighter than my 7,000 capacity enclosed.

Tim

PS: Just sent you an Email.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

Understood Tim, but even at 4400 lbs, Your getting close to class c limits. Would make me a little uncomfortable.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Would make me a little uncomfortable.
I agree that it is close.... My 22 footer only had a Chevy 350 and I pulled the Healey & Trailer from Dallas to both coasts.

Kinda slow going up the steep hills, but do-able. 4 wheel trailer brakes and "Granny Gear" coming down.

Tim
Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #8

I have an H&H aluminum 20' tilt trailer that I tow behind a 2013 Unity TB. Towed my wife's Porsche to Albuquequre last week and had both vehicles serviced. Last month I towed one of my hot rods to Mesa AZ for a rod run. While it is a hassle for parking from time to time, a flat bed trailer is really handy. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1397273828.073320.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	756.0 KB
ID:	60432
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote