Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #1

Folding Auto Trailer...anyone???

Ok...Please allow me to preface this with understanding that I am NOT a mechanical engineer, inventor, or really that much of an early riser. But here's the thing. I would like to tow vehicles behind my coach. I would like the convenience, control and ease of trailer towing without getting stuck with a trailer to store at campsites.

What if there was a trailer that was somehow hinged (horizontally) near the connection point and used some sort of electric or manual winch to "fold" the trailer back up (vertically) parallel to the back of the coach with enough clearance to access the engine bay or storage depending on the type of rig you have.

Does this sound crazy? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

And...go...
Rule62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rule62,
Sounds like you need an acme ez tow dolly. It is light and can be stored on its end.
Plz update the signature area of your profile to include info about yourself, Rv, toad, and location.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Rule62,
Sounds like you need an acme ez tow dolly. It is light and can be stored on its end.
Plz update the signature area of your profile to include info about yourself, Rv, toad, and location.

Thanks Dan. A dolly won't work if you need all four wheels up.

I don't have a coach or a toad at the moment. But I live in SoCal.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1 .Click "User CP" on left side of the screen in about the middle.
2. Click "Edit Signature" on left side 7 bars down under Your Control Panel.
3. Fill out your signature information.
4. Click "Save Signature"
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rule62,
Harbor freight has a folding trailer made in China. Imho it dosen't have the capacity necessary to carry any car.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Rule62,
Harbor freight has a folding trailer made in China. Imho it dosen't have the capacity necessary to carry any car.

Yes. I've scoured the internet and haven't found anything that remotely matches my vision. I'm meeting with some friends this weekend to brainstorm some design ideas.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Good luck. I think the idea has merit. It could be a good answer to the terrible lack of choices in tow cars.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #8

Take a look at https://www.kendonusa.com/stand-up-folding-trailer/ They have a folding trailer that will fit a SmartCar, which may be smaller than you were thinking, but it is a start
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Take a look at https://www.kendonusa.com/stand-up-folding-trailer/ They have a folding trailer that will fit a SmartCar, which may be smaller than you were thinking, but it is a start

Thanks. I'll check it out but I'm looking to accommodate up 10,000 lbs.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:00 AM   #10

I think that weight goal is likely to unrealistic without using exotic (expensive) materials. A typical non folding steel construction automobile trailer will weigh roughly half as much as what it is rated to carry. In other words an 18 ft auto hauler trailer rated to carry a 5,000 pound car will weigh in at about 2,500 pounds empty. Some weight can be saved by using Aluminum construction, which has its own sets of pros and cons, but you are still looking at about a 1,500 pound empty trailer weight on a trailer rated to carry a 5,000 pound car.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

10,000 lbs capacity, and you want it to fold vertically?. While almost anything can be done if you throw enough money at it, I respectfully suggest your goal is not realistic. We tow an Aluminum car trailer, and have little or no issue with campsites. If you have something that has towing capability for a trailer with 10,000 lb load capacity, you are in the bigger is better category and the only downside of this is needing more space. You can always call ahead or research for pull-through sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule62 View Post
Thanks. I'll check it out but I'm looking to accommodate up 10,000 lbs.
Quote:
Ok...Please allow me to preface this with understanding that I am NOT a mechanical engineer, inventor, or really that much of an early riser. But here's the thing. I would like to tow vehicles behind my coach. I would like the convenience, control and ease of trailer towing without getting stuck with a trailer to store at campsites.

What if there was a trailer that was somehow hinged (horizontally) near the connection point and used some sort of electric or manual winch to "fold" the trailer back up (vertically) parallel to the back of the coach with enough clearance to access the engine bay or storage depending on the type of rig you have.

Does this sound crazy? Has anyone heard of such a thing?

And...go...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
10,000 lbs capacity, and you want it to fold vertically?. While almost anything can be done if you throw enough money at it, I respectfully suggest your goal is not realistic. We tow an Aluminum car trailer, and have little or no issue with campsites. If you have something that has towing capability for a trailer with 10,000 lb load capacity, you are in the bigger is better category and the only downside of this is needing more space. You can always call ahead or research for pull-through sites.

Thanks. Since we're in the early stage of design, I figure we'd aim high on capacity, even if reality dictates that we're closer to 5000 or 6000 lbs.

The idea is that it will tow virtually any passenger car and most SUV's without a problem.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #13

My original comment was based on your 10,000 lb. specification, and a motorhome with this hitch capacity is almost always a Diesel Pusher. Most other motorhomes have hitch ratings of 5000 lbs and tongue weight of 500 lbs.

And, back to your original post about storing trailers at campgrounds; we have almost always towed a succession of car trailers and in 40 years, have only needed to store a trailer separately from our site 4 or 5 times, we just unhook and leave the race car trailer at the site if we need to move the motorhome. We have always had short motorhomes, our overall length has been around 50 ft. and we rarely have to accept a back-in site.

Just for conversation, a stored vertically folded trailer will surely need substantial front and rear folding braces to keep if from falling over. I suggest that a trailer with an 18 ft. bed, stored vertically, will need braces extending some distance outward to assure it doesn't fall over. The total "footprint" might be close to half as long as a normal trailer, meaning you will have spent a lot of effort and cost to save maybe 10 - 15 feet at a campsite. Further, there is a potential issue of a campground owner even allowing such a thing, especially on a grass site.

Quote:
Thanks. Since we're in the early stage of design, I figure we'd aim high on capacity, even if reality dictates that we're closer to 5000 or 6000 lbs.

The idea is that it will tow virtually any passenger car and most SUV's without a problem.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer