Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

For all you later model Jeep towers, BEWARE!!

Gang,
This may have been already brought up and, if so, sorry for repetition. But, if not, then there's something to really pay attention to here. There's quite a few threads on here about towing, operating, cost, etc. about Jeeps and Wranglers especially. But, watching local news tonight, broadcasted from a Phoenix station , there was a story about car thieves now being able to steal a car, WITH A LAP TOP.

Now, the story was about just that but, the emphasis was on Jeeps and Jeep Wranglers especially. It appears, according to the story and, some qualified consultants that were interviewed, that what the thief does is, breaks into the Jeep, using whatever means possible and, simply sits down in the front seat and hooks their lap top directly to the diagnostic port, in the lower left corner, under the dash.

They then, "trick" the car's control (otherwise known as the BCM or, Body Control Module in the later JKs etc.) into using a fake key to start the engine. They showed an actual thief doing it under the video of a home owners home defence cam.

One of the interviewees was an Auto Insurance Theft investigator. She stated it's nothing less than "digitally" hot wiring todays cars/jeeps etc.

Now, I don't know how old this "new" technology is for electronically tricking the newer Jeeps(cars) but, I know that many of you paid in excess of $40K for these darn Jeeps and, you'd hate to see it GONE in the morning either from your campsite or, your home or, even the grocery store. So, this is just some info for you Jeepers (and I suppose any other sought out, top of the thief list for stolen cars/trucks etc.)

Some of you may have anti-theft devices or, no-start systems already in place. If so, that's a good starting point. There may be other things that need to be looked at or done, to keep your prized possession YOURS!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks for posting Scott. It seems it doesn't matter what steps we take to prevent theft, somebody will figure out a way to defeat it.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #3

The thieves have been doing this for a while now. Virtually nothing is safe as if they really want it they are going to get it somehow. I have even seen vehicles stolen via a tow truck, which looks legit when going down. Locks keep honest people honest, and the more you have in both locks and anti theft devices the better the chance of not being victimized. But for the most part crooks are opportunists and will go to the point of least resistance. They will knock on door after door when doing home burglaries until they find one unlocked, with nobody home. They will avoid houses/cars with burglar alarm warnings ect, but at the end of the day if you have something they really want they will find a way to steal it, even if it means you are occupying it at the time of theft.

Most of those using the computer systems are more the "professional" type thief looking for the high dollar vehicle, or one outfitted with all the extras, and have most likely been watching for an opportunity to steal it. It doesn't take long, most can do it in a matter of minutes. They then take your Jeep to a "garage" where it can be stripped and parted out within hours. So good post Scott, probably not a lot of people know about this, we just need to find a way to keep one step ahead of them.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Maybe it's an already marketed item but, I designed and built and electronic starter disconnect for my TJ. Since I don't have a JK yet, I don't know if the electronics in the JK will allow my system to be installed. It had/has a hidden spring loaded two way toggle switch that controlled a latching relay. The way it worked was this.

The system is designed to disconnect the main battery cable from the starter. It is then re-routed to a hidden "latching solenoid/relay".

When the toggle is pushed in one direction, it sends a signal to the solenoid to temporarily connect the two battery cables. At the same time you swing the toggle, you turn the key to start the engine. When you let go of the toggle from swinging it in that particular direction, due to spring pressure, it returns to the center position. And, the solenoid disconnects the two battery cables. So, the next time you go to start the Jeep, and don't swing that toggle, all you get is "click-click-click", just like what you get when you have a dead battery. You must push it in that direction, each and every time you want to start the Jeep.

Now, if you swing the toggle in the other direction, you latch the solenoid permanently. And, when you let go of the toggle after pushing it in that particular direction, the solenoid stays engaged. So, you can now start the Jeep each and every time you like, without touching the toggle.

Why would this system be good, you ask. Well, it's kind-a simple. In the first case scenario where the solenoid needs to be latched each and every time you try and start the Jeep, that is for when you will be AWAY from the Jeep or, it's out of sight. i.e. grocery store, Home Depot, and a zillion other places including your home, if your Jeep is left in the drive way or outside.

But, if you're on the trail and will be starting and stopping every so often and, don't want to be touching that toggle, you simply push it in the opposite direction and, your starting system works as though nothing is added.

This kind of system, for disengaging the high voltage cables to the starter, is for about 95% of the would be thieves out there that steal Jeeps routinely. But, for the flatbed tow truck, high end operation thieves, there is no way to protect your Jeep, period.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
This kind of system, for disengaging the high voltage cables to the starter, is for about 95% of the would be thieves out there that steal Jeeps routinely. But, for the flatbed tow truck, high end operation thieves, there is no way to protect your Jeep, period.
That is 100% correct, anything like this, or audible alarm, or common things that come with the vehicle will thwart 95% of the crooks. You have insurance for the other 5%.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I and many others in socal have installed Ravelco theft protection in our Jeeps. Mine was attempted to be stolen but they did not get it. Broken door lock and steering column, but still have the jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow