Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #1

For those that tow or trailer a toad

Just thought I would let you know what I saw today.

Driving in our Jeep Cherokee we were passed by a motor-home with a small Fiat towed with the front two wheels on a dolly or small trailer.

A few minutes later we came to a red light that had just turned green. There was the motor-home but it was stopped in the slow lane. A lady jump out of the motor-home and ran back towards the Fiat. It did not dawn on me right away but I soon realized she was running back towards the Fiat because it was sitting on all four wheels on the road. The car had come off the dolly and was just sitting there.

If that car had come loose a few minutes back it would have caught me and probable several other cars in a bad accident.

For all of us who tow a vehicle we have a responsibility to everyone on the road to make SURE our tows are safe. I have only been in the RV world for two years but everyone I have meet have been fantastic and caring people and I believe that if a car they were towing came loose and injured or worse killed someone it would devastate them as I know it would me.

I have no right to preach, and I am not trying to, but as a volunteer firefighter I have seen my share of tragedies that could have been avoided by a little extra care.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you describing that the car came off the dolly?
Or did the dolly part from the RV?

Safety chains are normal fare for both of those connection points

Hope no one was injured. And hope they learned a lesson about the safety gear.

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

The car came off the dolly. She was, I think, going to start the car and get it off the road. No one was injured. My guess is that when they went to pull out from the red light it separated at that time.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally on a dolly, both front wheels are strapped down and should be checked after a few miles on the road. There is also one or two (prefer two) safety chains drom the dolly to the anchor point on the dolly.

Next, the dolly has two safety chains from the dolly to the TV.

Sounds like they did not properly anchor the car to the dolly.

Ken
Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wonder what happened to the wheel straps (?). They obviously didn't use the safety chains.

The car "should" have stopped as soon as it came off the dolly from the transmission being in Park or a manual in gear...but it could have been in neutral

Stranger things have happened
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwarren718 View Post
For all of us who tow a vehicle we have a responsibility to everyone on the road to make SURE our tows are safe. I have only been in the RV world for two years but everyone I have meet have been fantastic and caring people and I believe that if a car they were towing came loose and injured or worse killed someone it would devastate them as I know it would me.
AMEN
Old 08-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the post.
I have my caddie (Front wheel drive) on a karkaddyss , We have 2 safety chains attached from the KarKaddy too the caddie and use 2 straps on the front wheels. 2 safety chains from the KarKaddy to the receiver on the MH.
We check them at every stop which happens every 2-3 hours as the 4 legged girls have too potty. It seems one side's strap always come's a little lose. I can't figure out why, I have the ratchets tight by standing on them too get them as tight as possible after hand cranking on them. The caddie is in park at all times.
Any one have a thought as too why this happens?
Again thanks for the Post. I bet what ever they forgot too do won't happen again. How scary.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good post reminding us never to take short cuts. One should never say I am just going for a short ride I don't need to do all the steps.
Also, a checklist is almost mandatory. Some people do this every day. Other do it every few months. Either way, a checklist makes sure you are doing each and every thing that is supposed to be done.

Tags
toad, tow