Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
For Those Who Tow an Enclosed Trailer...

I'm working on the logistics of taking all of our toys with us when we go full-time. I was hoping some in this forum might be able to provide us with some insight in what to expect. Couple of questions:
1. What happens to your trailer when you get to the campground? Our intent is to set up as workkampers for 3-6 months at a time. We would use the trailer as a 'garage' for the motorcycles, tools and seasonal stuff that we will need but just not right now.
2. Should I keep the trailer small 12' for just essentials (bikes & tool box) or go large 25' to hold the bikes and jeep?
As we are just starting full time I really don't know what to expect once we're out there. I learn a lot from these forums and value everyone's experiences and insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We used to tow an enclosed trailer with our Harleys. 87 Softail & 96 Dyna Wide Glide. Did not tow a car then so the trailer got parked in the site space for your car. That didn't last long due to the problems with not being able to get enough groceries etc. Rainy days weren't much fun either.

If you have both a car and trailer or large trailer many CGs will have you store the trailer in a storage area and possibly charge for it.

A toy hauler towing a car might be an option to take the bikes and have a car without a trailer.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #3

Trailer Towing

You need to consider what you are going to be pulling with first. Is you MotorHome powered and set up to tow larger trailers? I have pulled a 28 ft. trailer for two years now after towing just a car for 7 years prior to that. The trailer has always been accessable where ever I stay. I may have to walk to storage if I want to keep my Motorcycle in ther. Big woop! Other times the site may be long enough that I keep it attached and work in and out of it on site. Ther is not just one answer to what happens to the trailer. I also haul a Pontiac Vibe in the trailer that gets unloaded for the duration of the stay. I actually like having my storage garage with me when I travel. I built in a closet for my biking clothes and winter gear, have a four drawer accessory cabinet with my four drawer tool box bolted on top. Great setup for what I do ad the pusher I drive.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

MH/Trailer combo

I am new to the world of Motorhomes, and need some help. I am traveling the country with a 43' Diesel Pusher and a 12' traler. This brings my overall length to 60', which makes me legal in all States. I want to upgrade to a 22' trailer, which will make me 73' overall. I know that this exceeds the legal length in most States, but everywhere I go I see people with race cars and other trailers a lot longer than this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Do any of the States pull over MH's with longer trailers?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Too Long

I am 70+ feet long and travel a great deal of the country and have never been stoped. The only place I wory about is Califonia. Strange place! But, I do go thru there and I understand that as long as you do not travel a lot of side streets touring the town you will not be bothered. I guess if we followed all the rules and regulations by all the different states we would not leave the driveway. Go have fun and enjoy. We only get one shot at this.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #6

As Mark said taking just the bike will prove a bad choice. Did that too and ended our trip early because we couldn't stand being locked up in the MH so much while the weather was bad. I pulled the bike on a 15' bike trailer and a lot of CG's wanted me to disconnect it and put it in storage before we set up which I wouldn't do. I suspect you will find the same thing.

If I were to do it again I would buy a lift for the bike and a Smart car to tow. You could fit a Smart car in a 12' trailer if you wanted too.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yea you will need a car from time to time ,,.. Put the jeep in the trailer and when you get to your new home ,use the jeep to park the trailer
Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #8

I have stayed at a number of Parks that required the trailer in storage. No big deal! I set it up where I can access the drop down door in the rear and use it as a remote garage. I have the best of all worlds! Trailer for a garage, car to drive, Motorcycle in out of the weather and two feet to take me from the Motor Home to the trailer. A nice little walk warms up the old bones.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Got an idea!!! How'bout towing a vehicle large enough and open to accomodate bicycles, toys, etc? Pickup truck? Large SUV? That way you have the destination transportation and cargo capacity.

If your tow vehicle has the muscle to tow a large enclosed trailer, it should be okay with a large toad.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great idea, I tow a 2011 GMCSierra crew cab, with a sport loader in the bed to haul Harley or 4 wheeler when we go. It works great !
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #11

overlength

Well all of the states are starting to enforce the length, weight and width restrictions alot more now days. It means money in their pockets. A friend that has a toter home and long stacker trailer that races just got fined $3700 after a race in Chicago. I personally got stopped in Oklahoma (and I live there) about 2 years ago hauling a boat for a friend. 1999 FL60 Freightliner pulling a 46 foot boat. He wanted a CDL, Fuel Tax Stamp, DOT and a bunch of other stuff but after talking to him for about 2 hours he let me go without even a warning but then again I knew the head of the Highway Patrol and new some people that he grew up with. In fact when he let me go he said that he wouldn't get any of the required stuff because the chances of seeing him again were slim. The only 2 things he could have actually got me for were being over width 9'6" and having a vehicle that had never been tagged (another story) but he didn't catch those items.. But anyway the states are all looking for ways to support there departments. If your from out of state you have to pay with a credit card on the spot (actually had a credit card swiper on the dash) and in state they just write the ticket for future payment.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterok View Post
Well all of the states are starting to enforce the length, weight and width restrictions alot more now days. It means money in their pockets. A friend that has a toter home and long stacker trailer that races just got fined $3700 after a race in Chicago. I personally got stopped in Oklahoma (and I live there) about 2 years ago hauling a boat for a friend. 1999 FL60 Freightliner pulling a 46 foot boat. He wanted a CDL, Fuel Tax Stamp, DOT and a bunch of other stuff but after talking to him for about 2 hours he let me go without even a warning but then again I knew the head of the Highway Patrol and new some people that he grew up with. In fact when he let me go he said that he wouldn't get any of the required stuff because the chances of seeing him again were slim. The only 2 things he could have actually got me for were being over width 9'6" and having a vehicle that had never been tagged (another story) but he didn't catch those items.. But anyway the states are all looking for ways to support there departments. If your from out of state you have to pay with a credit card on the spot (actually had a credit card swiper on the dash) and in state they just write the ticket for future payment.
I know that's right. My rig was 60' long and I got stopped in 3 states to be measured. One of them weighed me. They are looking for revenue anywhere they can find it. You won't get away from it much longer...
Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #13

length

Well I went from 44' RV plus 26' trailer plus 5' tongue (75') to 20' plus 4' tongue for a total now of 68' but with the tandem axles it looks short or shorter so HOPEFULLY they want pull my number.