Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #1

Ford 65 MPH Limit on Flat Towing - Why?

I just bought a 2010 Flex AWD to replace my '99 Suburban. The manual specifies a maximum speed of 65 MPH when 4 down towing. This is not really a hardship since that is about what we move along at pulling the Suburban, but on downhill grades we will let it roll up as high as 75 MPH.

Since I don't know why Ford limits the speed to 65, I don't understand the consequence of a short period above 65. I'm assuming the limit has a margin of safety, but I'd hate to wreck something.

Any ideas?
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

probably will cause a problem with transmission, of course you will be out of warranty coverage, when trans. fails. I'd put on the brakes and keep it below 70, if I wanted to save a big repair bill, oh ya I have a Jeep and it doesn't have any speed limit. Dave
Old 11-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
It's really very simple; Lawyers and to CT Butts.

TeJay
Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It's really very simple; Lawyers and to CT Butts.

TeJay
I agree!
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

The CRV has the same tow restriction. Mainly it is because of how the transmission is lubricated and how much heat is generated when towing. Many autos have transmissions coolers. These only work when the engine is running. The manufacturer has determined that at 65 mph the transmission will self cool enough not to cause damage.
This is not a hard fast limit. Occasionally going 70-75 down a grade will not hurt the tranny as long as it is not sustained and that you get back to 65 or less shortly to allow the fluid to cool.
In addition some manufacturers require you to run the engine through the gears every so many miles. For the CRV I believe that is every 300 miles, probably the same for the Ford.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Distaff, I too pull a Ford Flex and read that about the 65mph limit after I had pulled it on a trip for 2200 miles at 75. No problems, I have the transmission serviced every year and I use synthetic fluid. My mechanic even said he doesn't know why they would say that other that to cover their butts. The trans-axles are sitting in the oil and the difference in speed between 65 and 75 is not going to make one starve the axle or overheat it. Not wanting to start any wars here, but that is what I do and it works for me. I have pulled mine now over 15,000 miles. JMO Randy
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
on the Honda crv, there is a procedure the want you to go thru. you run the engine and warm it up, go thru the gears and then shift up to reverse. I says not to go from reverse. don't know why.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford does ask that you start it up every 6 hours of travel and put it in drive and reverse. I assume that is to circulate the fluid and make sure everything is lubed. Still you have to figure that pulling it at 65 for 6 straight hours, it has to be pretty safe bet that the important parts are getting lubed. I start mine anytime I stop for fuel or a walk around break. Randy
Old 11-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies and insights. I need to get a base plate installed and start dragging it.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2008 Ford Taurus X has essentially the same drive train as your Flex. We have towed that car well over 50,000 miles and exceeded the 65 mph criteria many times without any problems. Overall, the car has more than 100,000 miles on the odometer and, knock on wood, is still running like a champ!
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow, towing