Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #29

Escape redux

Stopped by the Ford dealer where I bought the Escape. He is still firm in his response that I can tow it 4 down with no problems, he has many customers and a few employees doing it for thousands of miles. He also told me to do the start/shift to drive shift to reverse back to neutral thing EVERY 250 miles. so I will and keep posting what I find out. Happy Trails.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #30

2012 Ford Fusion flat tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder2 View Post
I picked up my June FMCA Magazine this morning and read with dismay that Ford had amended it's towing information on the 2012 Escape and Fusion. The FWD, AWD and 4WD models cannot be flat towed as transmission damage may occur.

One of our friends had recently bought a 2012 Escape for the specific purpose of towing so this is a real disappointment.

Does anyone know the story behind the change in policy?
I contacted Ford Motor Co and they stated that only the 2012 Ford Fusion with an in service date of March 30 2012 with an Auto transmission 6F35 is efected by this Notice>It can not be flat towed. I have a 2012 Ford Fusion with an in service date of Oct. 25 2011 with an Auto transmission 6FMID which is OK to flat tow and is not included in this notice. Hope this info is helpfull!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroan View Post
I to purchased a 2012 Ford Escape to tow - I am still trying to figure what direction to take - Try to get Ford to buy it back or see what deal they might make on a Edge - also REMCO lube pump might be the way to go however if the transmission went south while towing Ford wont warranty it.
I wish someone with the Knowledge or now towing a Escape with the REMCO lube pump installed would post their findings.

Jroan
I have an '09 Escape. Burned up THREE transmissions. I kept asking Ford Dealer about installing a Remco Lube Pump as I had used on on another toad with no problems. Ford said "no way in hell" but after the third transmission the Dealer talked Ford into paying half of the cost. I have NO problems with the lube pump.
Hope this helps.

Chuck
Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
fusion or MKZ both ford Hybrids

MY QUESTION TO fORD MOTOR CO.;
: I purchased my 2012 MKZ Hybrid to tow behind a motorhome 4 wheels on ground; I need confirmation on the correct procedure: Place climate control system in recirculated air mode Tow only in the forward direction. Release the parking brake. Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral). Place the ignition in the accessory position Vehicle may be towed up to a speed of 75 mph Are there any other procedures that should be followed? Are there any fuses that should be pulled?Will miles be accumulated when towing?Does this car have vacuum assisted breaking system?
QUOTED ANSWER FORM FORD;
Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. My name is J and I'm from Ford's Customer Service Department.

Let me first congratulate you on the purchase of your 2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. I'm sure you are enjoying your brand new vehicle.

I can see the reason why you purchased your vehicle is for recreational towing. The guidelines for recreational towing that you have outlined in your email is correct. In terms of fuses that should be removed, your Dealer would be in the best position to advise if there are any.

What I found in my resources is about transmission fluid. Recreational flat towing may require the transmission fluid to be set to a lower fluid level. This will prevent damage to the transmission. The transmission fluid level is within the normal operating range and will not require the transmission fluid level to be readjusted after recreational towing.

In reference to the braking system of your vehicle, your vehicle is equipped with vacuum-assisted active booster. The active brake booster uses vacuum supplied by an electric vacuum pump mounted on the engine when engine vacuum is unavailable. The active brake booster is similar to a conventional brake booster but with the addition of a brake booster (vacuum) solenoid, a brake booster travel sensor and a vacuum sensor.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #33

I purchased a new 2012 Escape V6, 4 wheel drive in January to pull behind my motor home. After reading this post I got concerned so I called my dealer today and he advised me that the 2012 Escapes built after 2/27/2012 cannot be towed 4 down without causing transmission damage. If built prior to that date, towing 4 down is okay.
adamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
We purchased a 2012 F150 4X4 back in Dec and just returned from dragging it to NH and back through the Poconos and had no problems.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus
We purchased a 2012 F150 4X4 back in Dec and just returned from dragging it to NH and back through the Poconos and had no problems.
How do you put it into neutral
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirbigfella View Post
How do you put it into neutral
In the owner's manual (I had to point this out to Dealer when purchasing)
"4. Shift the transmission to N (Neutral).
5. Rotate the 4WD switch from 2H to 4L and back to 2H five times
within seven seconds.
If completed successfully, the instrument cluster displays NEUTRAL
TOW LEAVE IN N or NEUTRAL TOW ENABLED LEAVE
TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL, indicating that the vehicle is safe
to tow with all wheels on the ground.
If the message is not shown in the display, the procedure must be
performed again from the beginning.
An audible noise may be heard as the transfer case shifts into its
neutral position; this is normal.
6. Leave the transmission in N (Neutral) and turn the ignition as far as it
will go toward the off position (it will not turn fully off when the
transmission is in N [Neutral]). The key must be left in the ignition while
towing. To lock and unlock your vehicle, use the keyless entry keypad or
extra set of keys.
7. Release the brake pedal."
No mods to pickup other than added RVI Brake and stop/tail/turn/clearance lights. I could have added the extra bulb in the existing tail light housing, but it scared me to think of drilling holes that large through a plastic lens that if I messed up, didn't want the extra cost of replacement.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #37
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamson
I purchased a new 2012 Escape V6, 4 wheel drive in January to pull behind my motor home. After reading this post I got concerned so I called my dealer today and he advised me that the 2012 Escapes built after 2/27/2012 cannot be towed 4 down without causing transmission damage. If built prior to that date, towing 4 down is okay.
I purchased the same escape in December to tow, and will contact Ford in writing.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes Hybrids are towable
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #39

Towing 2012 Escape

I ordered a 2012 Escape in Jan. '12 and took delivery in April. In early June I came across a little slip of paper in the wallet that contains numerous manuals and warranties and discovered it to be the addendum to the owners manual which rules out towing 4-down.

As others have described, having bought the Escape specifically because it was simple to tow, this caused a little consternation.

I emailed a copy of the addendum to my dealer. In less than 24 hours he had Ford Canada's agreement to supply and install a Remco pump at Ford's expense and the new vehicle warranty would apply to those parts as well.

Needless to say, I can't say enough nice things about Ford Canada and my local Ford dealer. I suspect that timing of my purchase was the critical factor in Ford's acceptance of the retrofit expense as it appears that someone at Ford goofed in not advising the dealership of the change.

I first towed the Escape in August and everything seems to work beautifully.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm curious if the new 2013 model is not towable without such mods.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Oliver II,

I'm glad to hear they are standing up for misleading you. I have a 2010 Escape and have not had any issues..yet. I've faithfully followed all of the provisions to tow but I've read of so many failures. I think you've got the correct remedy.

Wanderso,
I don't believe the 2013 Escape is towable without a modification like the lube pump. Still might have an issue with Ford not recognizing the pump.
JohnFreyja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #42

John,
I don't have anything in writing from Ford, so take this with a grain of salt:
My dealer told me that Ford is going to make the Remco pump available from Ford and that it will carry a Ford part number (therefore, Ford warranty). His understanding, as of July 2012, is that it was yet to be decided whether the pump would be offered as a factory option or as an after-market accessory.

While this may solve your concern re warranty coverage it may not make the solution inexpensive. The bills I saw for parts and labour for the pump installation and control system in the motorhome came to beer-money shy of $3,000. But perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions and Ford will find a way to trim the cost once it doesn't have to be done as a one-off rush job.

They also asked if I wanted to wait for the official Ford part that, they thought, might come packaged with a few fittings specifically designed for the Escape. Since the generic version was also guaranteed to fit, I chose the generic for the sake of expediency.

Whether Ford (U.S.) and Ford Canada take a common approach could also be a subject for speculation.

Tags
ford, towing