Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

FORD changes towing info on 2012 Escape & Fusion

I picked up my June FMCA Magazine this morning and read with dismay that Ford had amended it's towing information on the 2012 Escape and Fusion. The FWD, AWD and 4WD models cannot be flat towed as transmission damage may occur.

One of our friends had recently bought a 2012 Escape for the specific purpose of towing so this is a real disappointment.

Does anyone know the story behind the change in policy?

sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Yes it's really very simple, Ford got tired of buying burnt up transmissions under warranty when the vehicles were towed 4 down. They thought the transmissions would survive towing but found out in the real world they wouldn't. So they changed to a no towing 4 down policy. GM did the same thing with the Chevy Cruze.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
ford Escape

I to purchased a 2012 Ford Escape to tow - I am still trying to figure what direction to take - Try to get Ford to buy it back or see what deal they might make on a Edge - also REMCO lube pump might be the way to go however if the transmission went south while towing Ford wont warranty it.
I wish someone with the Knowledge or now towing a Escape with the REMCO lube pump installed would post their findings.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you consider towing a focus or fiesta manual trans instead? Much lighter than the edge. Both can be towed as auto as well.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2010 Escape. But after reading all the problems everyone was having trying to flat tow them, I opted to puchase a tow dolly. I don't need any tranny problems!
Towertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Honda did that to us with our '05 Odyssey, luckily I had it in writing that it was OK to tow four down on Honda letterhead signed by one of their support people. Cost Honda about $2,200 to pay us back for the towbar, brackets and brake system. I did the wiring so they didn't pay for that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

GM ended up buying back a significant number of Cruze's after they made the "no-tow" determination. Escape and Fusion owners should make Ford do at least as much.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Can you consider towing a focus or fiesta manual trans instead? Much lighter than the edge. Both can be towed as auto as well.
I had purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta - and on the way to DC the transmission went into gear - trashed the transmission and two front tires this happen without even a 1000 miles on the car. Fords cost was $7500.oo to repair. the second time just under 5000 miles it trashed the engine + the transmission and two front tires. Cost to Ford to repair was $15,000.00. I talked with Ford and arranged a full credit for my Fiesta and Purchased the 2012 Escape. I am really wondering if buying another Ford product is the right thing - who to say they wont come out with Owners Supplement for towing the Edge.

Jroan
Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did the tranny go into gear on an auto or manual. I know on the fiesta the auto is a manual tranny with an automatic clutch. Off that it would end up in gear.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
Did the tranny go into gear on an auto or manual. I know on the fiesta the auto is a manual tranny with an automatic clutch. Off that it would end up in gear.
My Fiesta was the Auto clutch/manual transmission. Ford called me and ask me what steps I was using to tow. I told the the Owners Manual. But both times The transmission went into gear was after about an hour on the road. The last time we had left the Smokeys Mts and stop for the night in Birmingham AL and did not unhook the Fiesta as we had a pull thru - the next day on our way to Jackson MS about a hour out of Birmingham the transmission went into gear. That is the time the engine was trashed along with the transmission.
I will say this Ford did right by me on the buy back and now I hope they will do the same on 2012 Escape.

Jroan
Old 06-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroan View Post
I to purchased a 2012 Ford Escape to tow - I am still trying to figure what direction to take - Try to get Ford to buy it back or see what deal they might make on a Edge - also REMCO lube pump might be the way to go however if the transmission went south while towing Ford wont warranty it.
I wish someone with the Knowledge or now towing a Escape with the REMCO lube pump installed would post their findings.

Jroan
I would think that the Ford policy that was in place when you purchased the vehicle would be the one they would have to honor. They originally said it was OK to tow, and you made your purchase decision based on that information.

So, you can use this as leverage. Tell them they need to buy the vehicle back or trade it for a comparable vehicle that is flat-towable, else they will be replacing your transmission on a regular basis under your original warranty.

Worth a shot, all they can do is tell you to lawyer up.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

2012 Fusion Hybrid

I just purchased a 2012 Fusion Hybrid to tow behind our motorhome. I can't find anything that addresses the new owner's manual addendum related to the hybrids. I anyone else sucessfully towing a hybrid fusion or escape? We are scheduled to have our base plate installed on Monday and am just now reading about these problems.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcfaror View Post
I just purchased a 2012 Fusion Hybrid to tow behind our motorhome. I can't find anything that addresses the new owner's manual addendum related to the hybrids. I anyone else sucessfully towing a hybrid fusion or escape? We are scheduled to have our base plate installed on Monday and am just now reading about these problems.

I didn't think ANY hybrids were 4-down towable.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #14

Ramblin...my owner's manual says the hybrid is towable....just put in in Neutral, key in ACC and drive away, which is much different than the non-hybrid instructions.

Tags
ford, towing