Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Cmax supplemental braking system

Is anyone towing a Ford Cmax? If so what supplemental braking system are you using? I currently have a Brake Buddy Vantage Select which Brake Buddy told me could not be used with the Cmax. I was told by RoadMaster that thier Invisibrake should work on the Cmax but they have not verified this application.
I don't want to start using a tow dolly if I can avoid it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are towing a 2013 C-Max Sel. We had the SMI Air Force One installed. Have only towed its couple of times. No problems.

John Abbott
2004 39' Winnebago Journey

Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

I traded my Brake Buddy Classic for the unit that works on cars with electric brakes. Works fine but you either need to add a 12v outlet or use a portable power source...the outlet in the console shuts down. The outlet in the back of the car is full time but the brake buddy cord wouldn't reach and an extension robbed voltage.

Also did you add a charge line for the car battery? There is a thread on the CMAX forum...many owners have had battery issues. I added a Toad-Charge line.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

We tow a C-Max and use the Blue Ox Patriot Brake. It works fine. The brake system notifies us if the battery in the car is low. There is a wireless control box that shows us the error. So far, we have only had one time where we had the battery run down enough to need a jump start. It was after about 6 hours. We got the low battery error and didn't stop immediately because we were stuck in traffic. It probably would have started without the jump if we had just let it sit for a few minutes. We don't usually tow more than six hours at one time anyhow.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all for response

These supplemental brake systems are not cheap so I want to make sure I get one that is known to work with my CMAX SEL.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #6

I've only had experience with Brake Buddy and I'm very satisfied with the unit. I had my original brake buddy for 8 years and never had any issues. The new unit appears the same but it works on cars with electric brakes.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Brake Buddy Update

I did a follow up call with Brake Buddy and found out that in fact the Brake Buddy system can be used on the Ford Cmax. They apologized for the mistake and said they were given incorrect information about the Cmax brakes. The Cmax has standard vacuum assist power brakes making it compatible with many supplemental brake systems.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I know this is an old post but all the information is great because I am getting ready to set up a 2015 C-Max energi.
will let you know what i use and how it goes
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford C-Max Toad

I pulled a 2013 C-Max for 2 years using a Demco tow bar and adapter. I used a Brake Buddy Vantage Select set to 25 lbs for brake pressure. I also installed a "Toad Charge" in the C-max to keep the starting battery charged. Since the Cmax ignition needs to be ON but not started (start button pressed without foot on brake) it will drain that baby starter battery after a few hours. I was carrying a "jump box" to start the car when the battery was low. The Toad Charge solved that problem and I never needed the Jump Box after that. I put the adapter plate on myself but it was a lot of work. The Demco adapter fit perfectly.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We use the Brakemaster 9000 made by Roadmaster. Our coach already had the system installed on the coach by the OP. It has worked very good. We also needed a charge line installed for the battery.
The only problem we have towing our Cmax is we must use a drop hitch and we drag it quite often and need to be very careful where we fuel and stop when getting off the highway.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you all for the replies. After reading this forum and the Ford forum I have decided to go with a roadmaster baseplates and RVI2 braking system. I am also going to install the charge line as everybody recommended and I will be putting the diodes on the light system.
After I get this all done over the next month I will report back my findings to share with the forum.
2006 Journey
Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

We are in a 2005 Journey and are going to have our 2013 Ford Cmax Energi set up for 4 wheel towing very soon. We have been towing it on a tow dolly for almost 2 years and decided that enough time has gone by to finally attempt to find someone to do this for us. How did your install of the different components go?

maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford