Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbramsey View Post
Your best source as to whether or not a given Ford can be flat towed is found at RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Pick the year in question. There is a section in each guide called "Four Wheel Down Towing". For 2016, it is located on page 11. It gives all the special requirements such as starting and running the vehicle and how long to do so, what speed to not exceed, etc.

It's a good source but not totally reliable . There have been several models , that originally were said to be flat towable by manufacturer, then later retracted. But they are already listed in that guide as towable . Some examples of this are Ford Escape & Fusion, also the Chevy Cruze.
Best source is manufacturer. Also Remco seems reliable .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
It's a good source but not totally reliable . There have been several models , that originally were said to be flat towable by manufacturer, then later retracted. But they are already listed in that guide as towable . Some examples of this are Ford Escape & Fusion, also the Chevy Cruze.
Best source is manufacturer. Also Remco seems reliable .
Depends on the year in question, the 2nd gen Escapes (2008-2012) are flat towable. Model years 2013 - Present are not.

Edited post to remove incorrect information. Didn't know FWD Escapes of that generation could be flat towed.

Old 06-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #17

Are you sure ? When originally produced Ford said yes.
Apparently there have been a number of transmission failures & I believe Ford now says no.
2 years ago we were looking at an 09 Escspe, I called Ford & they said no. The only 09 cars from Ford that they said could be were Edge , Flex & Taurus
Old 06-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Are you sure ? When originally produced Ford said yes.
Apparently there have been a number of transmission failures & I believe Ford now says no.
2 years ago we were looking at an 09 Escspe, I called Ford & they said no. The only 09 cars from Ford that they said could be were Edge , Flex & Taurus
According to http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...9RVTTguide.pdf, page 12, the Escape I-4 (2.5L) with Manual as well as Automatic Transmission as well as the Escape V-6 (3.0L) with Automatic Transmission can be flat towed. The print date for this guide was August 2009 RV-VER11721-0809. If Ford as a corporation would have retracted the ability to flat tow, it would have replaced this document online.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #19

Ok cool. I was told no .
Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
I double-checked myself on the subject of Recreational Towing the 2009 Escape. I downloaded the latest copy of the Escape owner manual from the link I provided in a previous post.

There are still step by step instructions on how to flat tow the FWD as well as the AWD Escape.

Tags
ford