Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

Ford Edge

Is anyone using a 2015 Ford Edge for your tow vehicle? Just purchased one with the v6 6 speed trans and AWD, Ford assured me it was flat towable, the manual also said it was flat towable.
What is your experiences?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #2

Edge

Your good to go. Friends have one and have towed for many miles.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
We are towing a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD and it tows very nicely. There don't appear to be many differences between the 2015 and 2016 Edge. We have a Blue Ox Base Plate and Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, both of which seem to be well made and are easy to connect. We use an Air Force 1 brake system.

We opted to use a battery charge line to keep the battery charged rather than disconnecting the negative side of the battery.

Good luck.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

As stated, you are good to go. We have a 2011 Edge Sport using the Air Force One braking system.
https://smibrake.com/towed-vehicle-b...-force-one.php
If your coach has air brakes this is a good way to go if not then I would go with the Stay-In-Play
https://smibrake.com/towed-vehicle-b...-force-one.php
I also installed this battery charger works great
RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement
I got my base plate, AF1, and new tow bar all from etrailer, love there you tubes on installs.
Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

I think the only issue is the LED tailights are a bit more work to hook up vs the older Edges with conventional bulbs. Otherwise a great toad. I flat-tow a 2008 Edge awd myself.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Flat tow our 2008 Edge. Demco Baseplate and Excalibar towbar. We use our Brake Buddy for the braking. Works great! We do not disconnect the battery and have had zero issues.
What I did do is get a plain Ford key cut and use that to keep the steering unlocked. Best part is the Edge won't start with that key! Needs the chip in the factory key to start.
Other than the key, we follow the owners manual for towing. Also the towbar is almost perfectly level. Demco wants it +- 3".
Old 06-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
We are towing a 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD and it tows very nicely. There don't appear to be many differences between the 2015 and 2016 Edge. We have a Blue Ox Base Plate and Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, both of which seem to be well made and are easy to connect. We use an Air Force 1 brake system.

We opted to use a battery charge line to keep the battery charged rather than disconnecting the negative side of the battery.

Good luck.
Hi , We have a 2016 Ford Edge AWD with the V6 engine that we would like to flat tow behind our rv. The company that would be installing the Blue Ox tow kit said Blue Ox doesnt have a wiring harness that would operate our brake, signal lights on our Ford.
I contacted Blue Ox directly and they told me I would have to use the magnetic style lights because the Ford uses LED lights with 2 wires vs the std 3 or 4 wires.
Did you have any issues connecting your rv to the Ford lights?
Thankyou..
Old 06-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
edge

Has anyone flat towed a 2013 AWD Ford Edge? I was told it cant be done
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roada View Post
Hi , We have a 2016 Ford Edge AWD with the V6 engine that we would like to flat tow behind our rv. The company that would be installing the Blue Ox tow kit said Blue Ox doesnt have a wiring harness that would operate our brake, signal lights on our Ford.
I contacted Blue Ox directly and they told me I would have to use the magnetic style lights because the Ford uses LED lights with 2 wires vs the std 3 or 4 wires.
Did you have any issues connecting your rv to the Ford lights?
Thankyou..
I had the installation done at Sherman RV in Sherman, MS. After we discovered that Blue Ox didn't have a wiring kit specifically for a 2016 Edge, Sherman used another wiring kit with diodes to connect our lights. The lights and turn signals work fine. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what they did, only that it works without using magnetic lights. They didn't tell me they had any significant wiring issues. To me it's about finding an installer who actually knows the wiring so a pre-made kit isn't an absolute necessity.

The biggest problem with the edge is how much of the front end must be disassembled to install the base plate. Sorry I can't give you more info.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
Has anyone flat towed a 2013 AWD Ford Edge? I was told it cant be done
From the 2013 Ford Edge owners manual. This is for Edges that DO NOT have the 2.0 engine - those can't be towed 4 down.

Page 248
All-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your AWD vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground; this will cause damage to your AWD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground, refer to the towing instructions found at the end of this section.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
Tow only in the forward direction.
Release the parking brake.
Place the transmission in N (Neutral).
Place the ignition in the accessory position. Refer to Ignition switch in the Starting and Stopping the Engine chapter.
Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).
Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R (Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

Good luck.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 06-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't know differences between 2013 and 2014. I tow a 2014 Ford Edge SEL AWD with no problems. Have Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar. Lights work great.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Your best source as to whether or not a given Ford can be flat towed is found at RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Pick the year in question. There is a section in each guide called "Four Wheel Down Towing". For 2016, it is located on page 11. It gives all the special requirements such as starting and running the vehicle and how long to do so, what speed to not exceed, etc.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
From the 2013 Ford Edge owners manual. This is for Edges that DO NOT have the 2.0 engine - those can't be towed 4 down.

Page 248
All-wheel drive (AWD) vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport trailer. Do not tow your AWD vehicle with the front wheels off the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground; this will cause damage to your AWD system. If you are using a vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground, refer to the towing instructions found at the end of this section.
If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
Tow only in the forward direction.

Release the parking brake.
Place the transmission in N (Neutral).
Place the ignition in the accessory position. Refer to Ignition switch in the Starting and Stopping the Engine chapter.
Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).
Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and then into R (Reverse) before shifting back into N (Neutral).

Good luck.
Great Info I lost the book that came with the EDGE this really helps. Folks are really good at passing along info here. Thanks
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by More-Gas View Post
Great Info I lost the book that came with the EDGE this really helps. Folks are really good at passing along info here. Thanks
If you needed an electronic copy of your owner manual, go here. Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

Tags
ford