Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Question Ford Edge and towing 4 down

Hi. I'm new to this website and have some questions. I just purchased a 2012 Ford Edge and have not towed it yet. It is supposed to be easy to tow 4 down, but after reading a thread about the problems with the 2013 Ford Explorer I am a little worried I may have purchased the wrong vehicle. Anyone out there towing a Ford Edge?

Sam

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...98HO6_ohsEW3_g

Page 14 would apply.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #3

thanks for the reply. The owner's manual tells me how to tow, but my question really should have been stated like this: I have been reading that some people with the new Explorers have been having problems with their batteries running down during the towing process due to the sync system. Is anyone else towing a new Edge with the sync system and are they having problems and what did they do to fix them?
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.p...ehind-your-rv/

Do not know if his helps at all. Does not sound good.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywandere View Post
Hi. I'm new to this website and have some questions. I just purchased a 2012 Ford Edge and have not towed it yet. It is supposed to be easy to tow 4 down, but after reading a thread about the problems with the 2013 Ford Explorer I am a little worried I may have purchased the wrong vehicle. Anyone out there towing a Ford Edge?

Sam
Go here and read about the change to the 2012 Edge Trans

towing the 2012/2013 FWD Ford Edge
By Rhilgeman
After suffering 3 dead batteries in as many trips with my new Ford Edge, I was in communication with both the dealer I purchased the vehicle from as well as Ford Motor Company. The primary problem is that you must keep the the ignition in "accessory on" position when towing. After running current drain tests on the car, it was determined that the standard drain was in the neighborhood of 6 amps per hour. Enough to drain the battery in less than 8 hours. If you should leave the toad vehicle connected overnight to your Motor Home, your battery is totally dead and even the computers in the car must be reset. Mine would not even recognize my keyless system stating "key not recognized" The primary reason to keep the accessory on is twofold. First you unlock the steering. Second, is to disenguage the drive train from the wheels. I am told that beginning in 2012, Ford changed their electronics to require power to disenguage the drive train. Earlier Edges required power to engage the drive train. The net result is a much higher drain on the battery when it is used as a toad vehicle. Ford Motor authorized the dealer to install the "toad charger system" in my Edge as the solution to the problem. This was done under warranty and at no cost to me.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #6

Thank you!! This has been a great help. Hope to have Ford reimburse me for a charger.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
CRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Go here and read about the change to the 2012 Edge Trans

towing the 2012/2013 FWD Ford Edge
By Rhilgeman
After suffering 3 dead batteries in as many trips with my new Ford Edge, I was in communication with both the dealer I purchased the vehicle from as well as Ford Motor Company. The primary problem is that you must keep the the ignition in "accessory on" position when towing. After running current drain tests on the car, it was determined that the standard drain was in the neighborhood of 6 amps per hour. Enough to drain the battery in less than 8 hours. If you should leave the toad vehicle connected overnight to your Motor Home, your battery is totally dead and even the computers in the car must be reset. Mine would not even recognize my keyless system stating "key not recognized" The primary reason to keep the accessory on is twofold. First you unlock the steering. Second, is to disenguage the drive train from the wheels. I am told that beginning in 2012, Ford changed their electronics to require power to disenguage the drive train. Earlier Edges required power to engage the drive train. The net result is a much higher drain on the battery when it is used as a toad vehicle. Ford Motor authorized the dealer to install the "toad charger system" in my Edge as the solution to the problem. This was done under warranty and at no cost to me.
This has been very helpful. On first tow with 2013 Edge I had to call Ford Road Service to jump battery. It seemed to run down in less than 6 hours. We could see that all the instrument and entertainment panels stayed on in accessory position but I assumed the BMS (Battery Maintenance System) would shut down power drain. Wrong. I assume toad charge system is an additional line to motor home or can this be done with wiring for lights?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

I set up a my 2012 Explorer and added a charge wire from MH to toad Battery and have not had any battery problems. It's simple to do!

Tags
ford, towing