Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Edge Toad?

Considering an Edge as a Toad replacing our Suzuki Sidekick. Is this a good move? I really welcome your input before we make the purchase. Please tell it like it is!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If we upgrade next year as we plan, we will consider trading for a Ford Edge. I know a couple of MHers who tow an Edge and they like them. I'll also be interested in responses from others who have them.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #3

Ford Edge Toad

Recently bought an Edge and Tow it with 36' Class A.
Tows great!!
Needed to build a platform for the Brake Buddy. Two pieces of 1/2" plywood hinged to form 90 degree angle. Seat edge is not stiff enough by itself.
Works great.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give this link a look.
http://blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/2013DinghyGuide.pdf

Lot's of ad's and stuff but a lot of good info too.

Hope this helps you.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

Ford Edge Toad?

Helped my neighbor set up his Edge. Only problem was the Blue Ox baseplate was 27" off the ground. Needed a 6" raised hitch to tow behind his 37' gasser.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #6

Been towing our 09 Edge since brand new,,,up to 2200 miles in a two week period a couple of times. So far so good...installed a Blue Ox tow plate and run a charge line to keep battery charged on long trips. Use a Brake Buddy braking system with no mods (handle on brake buddy slides under seat fabric and hits frame of seat). No special equipment needed is a main reason for purchase, Ford engineers designed the tranny to lube itself, just put it in neutral, leave the key one notch forward and off you go!!! One word of caution, I don't think (but not positive) that you can tow the all wheel drive version, ours is just FWD.....
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #7

I tow a 2012 Ford Edge AWD. Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and AirForce 1 brake system. On the first trip I had trouble with the battery going dead so I installed a Toad Charge. Problem solved. Be sure to check the dingy towing guide that FMCA puts out for your model year as changes are made from year to year. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I towed a 2011 Edge and it was one of the best toads i have ever had and i have had a bunch, you will need a charge wire from the coach to the Edge. I would stay away from the one with the thing that slowes you down if aproching to close to the rear of another car (crs on what its called) if you do get that on the Edge your brackets will be very high it will require a drop hitch upside down, not a good solution for me.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
I towed a 2011 Edge and it was one of the best toads i have ever had and i have had a bunch, you will need a charge wire from the coach to the Edge. I would stay away from the one with the thing that slowes you down if aproching to close to the rear of another car (crs on what its called) if you do get that on the Edge your brackets will be very high it will require a drop hitch upside down, not a good solution for me.
That is the adaptive cruise option. I moved the radar device so a regular tow hitch works well. Mine is a 2012 limited fwd. Be sure you check the specs because NOT ALL Edges are towable. If you need a luggage rack make sure you don't get the full roof sun roof. Don't remember what the option is called but was unhappy about that.

The Edge is not a great mileage car but very comfortable. The front wheel drive will give you some torque steering when hitting the throttle with about 300 hp waking up. It is not a sporty car to drive but does have the option to shift manually.

You will need to run a charge line. With the keyless ignition it really uses a lot of energy. Keyless entry and remote start is nice. The navigation system and the voice control is infuriating .

If you buy one PM me and I can send pictures of the tow bar install.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #10

forgot about the 6" rise hitch….also works great!!
bought from road master…..
Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I tow a 2014 Ford Edge SEL AWD and love it. Have Roadmaster products for complete set up. I needed an 8" drop hitch reversed to have level tow bar. I put in a fuse switch that solved my battery drain issue. Tend to start toad every 2-3 hours anyway. Max tow speed of 65 mph makes the DW happy!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I tow a 2014 Ford Edge SEL AWD and love it. Have Roadmaster products for complete set up. I needed an 8" drop hitch reversed to have level tow bar. I put in a fuse switch that solved my battery drain issue. Tend to start toad every 2-3 hours anyway. Max tow speed of 65 mph makes the DW happy!
Which fuse are you switching out?
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:23 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Unfortunately I cannot answer. It was installed with entire tow system (new to us rv) by rv place (camping world). When car in first accessory position it cuts off radio, navigation system, etc.

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toad