Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Ford Escape / Remco pump installation

I am putting a Remco transmission pump on my new 2012 Ford Escape
2 wheel drive for flat towing ( all 4 down).

Does anyone out there have any experiance or comments with this application?
I am aware of all the transmission problems with the Escape with out the pump, however, I am going to make the plung and try this out.

Any comments are welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #2

I have a 2012 Escape Limited 2WD and plan on towing 4 down with out any modifications. As per the owners manual, I will have my Ford dealer lower the ATF as recommended and document it, (they quoted me $86). If I have any transmission problems I will address it under the factory warranty as I plan on following all the manufacturers instructions to the tee. I just finished installing the Blue Ox tow base plate.

I would think Ford would have more ammunition denying a transmission warranty claim having installed an aftermarket pump instead of following their recommendations on towing 4 down without one, just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your modification.

Fla2RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #3

I have a 2009 ford Escape which I have been towing since it was purchased new in jul of 09. I had not heard of any problems towing the Escape before I purchased it, but then started seeing reports of the trans problems when towing. Since I had already purchased the Escape and the tow bar base plate and brake I figured I would take the chance and tow it. I took it to my local ford dealer and had them perform the tsb, (at no cost to me) and document that it had been performed, which they did. Towed the Escape bak and forth from SC to Fla 3 times before I had my first problem, trans puked its guts out and had to be replaced. This was on the third trip to Fla, following all the guidelines in the tsb. The only thing that I can guess is, I had the Escape serviced between the second and third trip to Fla, and I personally didn't check the Trans level prior to leaving on the third trip, and the mech might have topped off the trans fluid. After the trans was replaced with the so called modified trans (rebuilt) I have towed the Escape from SC to Yellowstone via the black hills of SD, and back via the Grand Canyon. throughout the whole trip I kept a constant check on the trans using a digital temp gun. Never saw the trans get hotter than 178 degrees and to date it is still going strong. As to using a Remco pump, it wasn't an option when I started towing, if you check with your local Ford dealer and have them sign off on it not effecting the warranty, why not do it. It would only add a little piece of mind to the towing. i might even look into getting mine done once the warranty expires. One note though if you have someone lower the fluid level, don't trust it to be right, after I had the trans replaced I had the dealer show me that it was lowered and when we checked, it had not been. If I had driven off the lot without it being done i probably would have burnt up another one.
hope this helps and good luck with your travels

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
I have a 2012 Escape Limited 2WD and plan on towing 4 down with out any modifications. As per the owners manual, I will have my Ford dealer lower the ATF as recommended and document it, (they quoted me $86). If I have any transmission problems I will address it under the factory warranty as I plan on following all the manufacturers instructions to the tee. I just finished installing the Blue Ox tow base plate.

I would think Ford would have more ammunition denying a transmission warranty claim having installed an aftermarket pump instead of following their recommendations on towing 4 down without one, just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your modification.
Fla2RI Their is never a charge to check a TSB!!! Tell Ford you want TSB 11-7-15 done and as stated above check that it is done right. See copy of TSB 11-7-15 attached.
Good Luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB-11-07-15.pdf (58.9 KB, 233 views)
beejay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Thanks, I already have contacted Ford about that. Nice to know!

Dan
Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

Tom-Brenda,

Read these last two sentences in Ford's TSB 11-7-15 regarding Demco: "Ford Motor Company does not warranty this aftermarket product. Further, the use of an aftermarket product may void your Ford Motor Company warranty coverage if this product results in damage to the vehicle. Ford Motor Company continues to recommend that customers follow the Owner Guide Flat Tow guidelines."
Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #7

2012 Escape Bad Experience Transmission Failure

With 780 miles since new and all approved towing equipment installed including oil level reset IAW Technical Service Bulletin set of on Los Angeles-Yuma drive. Transmission was destroyed, was replaced at Bill Alexander Ford under warranty. Continued to Rocky Point, Mexico, where the car operated OK, drove 135 miles, hooked up, and drove back to Yuma. Transmission fried, replaced transmission, oil cooler, radiator, and computer. My Lemon Law attorney has given notice to Ford that this lemon needs to be bought back. Am now waiting for Fords response. Had 2 Jeeps prior to the Escape, very disappointed in the Escape.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

We would br interested in any information about Fords response concerning your lemon law claim.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #9

Ford was served on 11-21-2011, they have 30 days to respond. With the Christmas Holidays slowing things down my attorney feels their response will be after the first of the year. That is reasonable. Will let everyone know what that response is when it happens. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #10

Remco Pump Information

Additional information regarding the Remco transmission oil circulation pump installation. My Ford dealership had a direct conversation with Corporate Ford regarding the Remco pump installation. Corporate Ford agreed to pay for the installation of the pump and also install the wiring harness in the motorhome. The dealership does not do the actual installation but contracts it out to a local repair facility. Ford pays the repair facility using their purchase order payment system. The installation is done under Fords good will customer support program. There is no formal change in Fords warranty position as stated in the TSB regarding failures related to the installation of aftermarket equipment. Be aware, installing aftermarket equipment on vehicles currently under factory warranty potently can leave you holding the bag if something goes wrong.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #11

We are pursuing the installation of the Remco pump on our 2012 Ford Escape. We understand that there is potential warranty issues with this action. However, we are still going to follow all of the requirements of the owners manual and current TSB's issued.
We are hopefull that if followed we will not experience any break downs as others have reported.
We like the vehicle in question and do not want to go through all of the transmission failures that warrant out of pocket exspenses and inconveniences that follow. We have acumulatted and extensive file that includes all documentation including daily oprational logs to hopefully defend any possible suit that we may have t file against Ford.

Any other comments welcome!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-brenda View Post
We are pursuing the installation of the Remco pump on our 2012 Ford Escape........Any other comments welcome!
I personally wouldn't be concerned with a warranty claim with the Remco pump installed but really can't justify the expense unless Ford picks up the tab as they've done with a few individuals. I have towed my 2010 Escape for a couple years now with absolutely NO problem. I have personally assured my fluid is at proper level, followed the procedures for towing specified in my owner's guide, and monitored my fluid temps from time to time with a scangauge. If my transmission ever pukes, as apparently some have, then I might consider the Remco pump but would sure try to get Ford to pay at that point.

Please let us know how your pump works out for you.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #13

Thanks and I agree, there are most likely thousands of Rv'ers towing Ford Escape's 4 down with NO issues, it always the few with problems that you hear from.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fla2RI - Interesting point you make. I have read of maybe five or six that have had problems on three different RV forums I participate in and only one on a Ford Escape forum. With the popularity of this vehicle, and the many thousands sold, it would be interesting to know how many are towed and what the actual percentage of failure is......probably a stat we'll never see

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford