Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:
Well got everything set up. Dealer installed neutral tow kit, CW installed base plates. Tows like a charm. Little less getup and go and more brakeing pressure than when towing the Saturn. CW to install Even-Brake Monday to help with brakeing. Didn't expect to spend this much to get it ready to tow.
Also yesterday a hail storm hit, it was sitting outside and now have dents in the hood and roof. Oh well always something, next shop will be body shop. Insurance will pay some. I don't have the luck of the Irish.
Happy St. Pats Day to all
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wizard:

We had acorn damage (big acorns fell from a very tall oak) on our Explorer. I had a local fellow with an Erase-a-dent franchise remove mine for far less than what the body shop wanted for dent remove, repaint, etc. Took the guy about one hour to remove 22 dents and you can absolutely not tell. You might want to check in your area for Erase-a-dent or Dent Wizard.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Wizard,
Got the explorer sport trac last year and have towed it about 3000 miles. Haven't had problems towing but getting use to seeing that Ford logo has been a challenge. First time I've ever owned a Ford.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Explorer Toad prep Step 3 complete! Ford Neutral Tow Indicator installed and tested. This was not as easy as it seems. Ford dealers know very little about this part! I ordered over the phone and had it delivered to my local dealer. When I went to pick up the part and have it installed, the mechanic "trained" to do this work was not available. So I brought the part home and printed out the installation instuctions from the web to see if this could be done DIY. The installation appears easy. But, you need a Ford VMC programmer to enable the switch. These appear hard to come buy used and are expensive to buy on-line (&gt;$10K). So I was forced back to the dealers over DIY. Today, I tried the orginal dealer again - and again no one trained to do the job - come back Monday (Est 2.5+hrs $300+). Next dealer - no one trained to do the job - come back Monday (Est. $300+)! Ok, now dealer number 3: Leif Johnson Ford (Austin) - my luck turns - aya, we know what this is! and we can install it right now! price 1.5 hour = $147 plus tax for a total of 170.87. No wait, did it on the spot - out in less than 2 hours. Thank you Leif Johnson Ford!

Now I'm moving on to step 4...

1) Baseplate installed (new/on sale Blue ox $250)
2) Obtained tow bar (Used Falcon 2 6000 lbs $125 cash)
3) Neutral tow switch installed ($171)
4) Install brake - I likely will go with the surge break approach - I like the simplicity and my boat uses the same type of system. But the price is no fun - this will be the most expensive component so far! $400+!
5) Install brake lights on Toad (&lt;$50?)

Shouldn't it cost a *lot* less than $1000 to tow a car??

Jeff
Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can get by with $1000.00 on initial setup, then your doing great. Cost me a lot more than that and my Ford dealer did the NTK free when I bought the car.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
Now I'm moving on to step 4...

1) Baseplate installed (on sale Blue ox $250, installation free (me))
2) Obtained tow bar (Used Falcon 2 6000 lbs $125 cash)
3) Neutral tow switch installed ($171 install by Ford dealer + $26 for the part)
4) Install brake - I likely will go with the surge break approach - I like the simplicity and my boat uses the same type of system. But the price is no fun - this will be the most expensive component so far! $350
5) Install brake lights on Toad (LED) ($100) and saftey cables.

Shouldn't it cost a *lot* less than $1000 to tow a car??

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steps 4 and 5 done. Ready Break installed. Now testing the setup.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Jhanan,
I just completed my dingy towing addition. I have an 08 Explorer 4x4 and I ended up shelling out $1400.00 for the Brake Buddy Select. I did like the way I can adust the braking from the MH.
I had a large boat with surge brakes on the trailer (Tounge pushes aginst master cyl that applies pressure to trlr brakes)
but pulling a dingy no surge brake mechanism exists unless you were to get a tow dolly w brakes. If there is the solution you mention it's certainly cheaper then the systems I priced.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Bruce,
Yes it is relatively cheap. The Ready Break surge break is available from Night Shift Auto:
ReadyBreak
I'm using the receiver version of this unit.
Jeff.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I went to the site it sure looks like a good no frills brake system. It's a lot cheaper then what I did. I spent $2200 on the Brake Buddy, Demco bar and adapter.
Did the surge adapter have a backup lockout?
I remember my boat trailer had an electrical lock so that backing would'nt push the trailer brakes.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce W:
Did the surge adapter have a backup lockout?
I remember my boat trailer had an electrical lock so that backing would'nt push the trailer brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. I think the reason is that is hard to back up a four down vehicle compared to a boat trailer. My boat trailer has a mechanical backup lockout. But I rarely use it. I'm able to back the trailer into the garage with little to no braking. This unit is nice and simple. I hope the simplicity will help with longevity.

Jeff.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Jeff,
My boat trailer had 3 axles and if the surge brake lock didn't come on it wouldn't go back an inch. Not an issue if you need to back up your dingy a few feet though. All the brake systems I found were $800 and up, Those guys need to advertise in some of the RV mags more.
Bruce
Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce W:
Hi Jeff,
My boat trailer had 3 axles
Bruce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must hold a big boat! Would be great to see some pics

Jeff
Old 06-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
Hi Jeff,
My boat trailer had 3 axles
Bruce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must hold a big boat! Would be great to see some pics
It was a 26ft express cruiser. I sold it. That's how I could afford my RV.
After burning more then a gal per mile in the boat the RV doesn't seem so bad.
You should post some feed-back on the ready brake after you've used it a bit.
For someone thinking of towing a dingy wihout supplemental brakes this may be an inexpensive option.
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
You should post some feed-back on the ready brake after you've used it a bit.
For someone thinking of towing a dingy wihout supplemental brakes this may be an inexpensive option.
Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so more than 1500 miles into this trip (Austin TX to Mystic CT) and all is well with the Ready Break. I'm running about 1.5" slack on the cable, whish means the MH is still doing a portion of the toad breaking, but seems to be doing well. I'm happy.

BTW, I need to note part #6 to my list purchased in Austin right before I left:

6) Blue Ox Receiver Drop - 6". $95.

The Exp connection points are quite high - I had to raise it up 6" minimum. It is close to level, and I probably could have even gone with the 8" receiver riser. An more expensive part.

I think if I did it over again, I would have bought the ball mounted Ready Break instead of the receiver version since ball adjustments are very common and cheap - or at least considered it more. However, the additional degree of freedom would have pro's and con's. Right now the Ford tracks very nicely around the corners - it does not cut them at all.