Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anybody towing a Ford Explorer, Any problems, comments or other experiences. Thinking of buying one in a few days. Like to get all the info I can.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anybody towing a Ford Explorer, Any problems, comments or other experiences. Thinking of buying one in a few days. Like to get all the info I can.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 2004 Explorer with no issues. I installed the Blue Ox base plate and the Add-a-bulbs in the tail light housings. You will need to have the dealer-installed neutral tow switch. It weighs about 4,700 lbs so you will be near the 5,000 lb limit of your towing capacity on that chassis.

It is certainly not the lightest toad (used to tow a Ford Focus) but we enjoy having it with us on trips.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Wizard, certain models in certain years are not towable.

What year are you considering, and is it 4WD?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We flat tow a 2002 4wd v-6 explorer with neutral tow kit and it works great! I would also say that Ford doesn't build the best quality truck. If you check out Ford's TSB's on Explorers most TSB's focus on transmission failures and rear differential internal sealsleaking/ causing excessive road noise (whine). I have experienced these problems as well (not covered; past 36,000 mile warranty) it cost thousands of dollars out-of-pocket. None of these problems occurred from flat towing. I really like the truck for it's size and versatility but I can't recommend the truck due to it's repair history which is very common to Explorer's, hence the TSB's. Good Luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #6

We have been towing a 1997 Explorer 4x4 V6. Now has 88,000 miles on the odometer and at least another 60,000 being towed. Other than normal upkeep [brakes, battery, tires, shocks, etc.] we had to replace the rack and pinion unit at about 60,000 miles, no other problems with it.
Loren
Old 02-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #7

We have towed a 1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer since August 2002 with no problems.

Just normal maintenance required with 84,000 on the odometer and appox. 30,000 towed miles.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #8

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer V8 as my daily driver, and I like it very much. Just the right size. Not too big. Not too small.

Check with Ford whether the neutral tow kit will work on your vehicle you're considering. My guess is it will.

Note: I don't tow my Explorer, so smlranger's post is good advice on towing.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Only the 4x4 version of the Explorer automatic is towable and then only with the neutral tow kit added. The AWD is not considered a 4x4 for this purpose and is not towable. 4x2 Explorer automatics are not towable.

Manual transmission Explorer Sport Traks are towable, whether 4x2 or 4x4.

This info comes from the Ford 2007 Towing Guide (previous years Ford guides have the same info, back at least to 2002.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I bought it. Lets hope it works out ok. Thanks for the input. The dealer didn't have an owners manual and had to order me one. I'll have to wait to find out how to set everything up. However I still have to get the base plate mounted so I've got a little time. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I bought a 2007 V8 Explorer (AUTO AWD) and the dealer installed the neutral switch and it tows fine. So far I couldn't ask for anything any better.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a 2004 4x4 Explorer that I tow - 4 wheels down. I had a neutral tow kit installed by Ford - works fine. I think it cost about $100 total for the kit. I tow using the Blue-Ox, and have a brake buddy. I agree with others - it is a little heavy, but has never been an issue for us. I used to tow it with my class C - now I have a class A. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wizard:
Well I bought it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What tow bar and brake kit are you going to use?

I have a 2005 4x4 v6/auto explorer. I installed the blue ox base plate (see my post on that experience). I also purchased the neutral tow kit from Ford parts. I have not installed that yet - it would be a DIY job if it were not for that fact that you have to have the Ford service computer system to tell the on-board computer that the switch is installed to activate it. According to the manual provided with the switch, the installation would be easy if there was an easy way for a DIY to change the computer setting on the vehicle.

Next up is selection of the tow bar and brake. Due to the weight of this vehicle, I don't think it can be towed with out a break. I'm leaning to the Acclaim bar and the AutoStop break. I'm not fulltiming, so I'm looking to balance cost and function with part time useage. The acclaim tow bar is only class III rated - near the limit. Is it beefy enough to do the job?
Old 03-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well got everything set up. Dealer installed neutral tow kit, CW installed base plates. Tows like a charm. Little less getup and go and more brakeing pressure than when towing the Saturn. CW to install Even-Brake Monday to help with brakeing. Didn't expect to spend this much to get it ready to tow.
Also yesterday a hail storm hit, it was sitting outside and now have dents in the hood and roof. Oh well always something, next shop will be body shop. Insurance will pay some. I don't have the luck of the Irish.
Happy St. Pats Day to all