Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unbelievable - I called three (3) different dealers in my area to get a Ford Neutral Tow kit installed so I can tow my 2004 Explorer with 4 wheels down - 1 dealer never heard of the kit; 1 dealer said he did it beofre but couldn't quote a price "'cause it's time and material and we don't know how long it takes til we get in there". Has anyone had this done in NJ? I have read where it should only be approx. $100 installed, but I'm having trouble finding a place. Help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unbelievable - I called three (3) different dealers in my area to get a Ford Neutral Tow kit installed so I can tow my 2004 Explorer with 4 wheels down - 1 dealer never heard of the kit; 1 dealer said he did it beofre but couldn't quote a price "'cause it's time and material and we don't know how long it takes til we get in there". Has anyone had this done in NJ? I have read where it should only be approx. $100 installed, but I'm having trouble finding a place. Help!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not surprised that many have not heard of it. You don't see many Explorers under tow and it is unlikelt that the average dealer shop has installed the kit. My guess is that "time and materials" is what they all will say, since it not a procedure they are familiar with. It always takes longer the first time, so you may foot the bill for the learning curve. From what I hear the procedure is not difficult, but I have no first hand experience to offer nor any suggestion about a dealer.

You might consider ordering the kit your self (you are going to pay the same Ford list price for it anyway) so you can get the install instructions that should come with it. That way you cn show the shop what has to be done and get a better estimate. It doesn't have to be installed by a Ford dealer either, once you have the kit.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #4

I can give you a part number I think. It is just a light and a short wire loom. The computer does all the work and I believe any computer will do it after reprogramming accept you need this light to tell you that you are in neutral. My Explorer is a 2000 but you can check to be sure if they are the same.
This was 4 years ago but I ordered one for about $15 and then the shop forman looked up the install. Total install:$105
Better e-mail me since I don't stop by often:
dolldave@earthlink.net
In case the server did not come through, it was earthlink.net.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:37 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I had the tow kit installed at a local Ford dealer. Labor cost me $100.00 plus tax. The instructions on how to use the kit are above the visor on a label stuck to the headliner. Seems easy enough to use.

Now for questions:
1. Other than setting it, is there anything else I need to do or add (besides a braking system and tow bar)?
2. Do I have anything to worry about as far as lubrication is concerned?
3. Do I have to run the engine every few hundred miles or so?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #6

1. Nothing else to do. I take note of the mileage when I first hookup, then a mile or two down the road when I check everthing else I check it again to make sure no miles have been clocked; meaning still in gear.
2. No lubrication but understand if you lose toad battery power, it goes into gear. Keep a good battery in it and refrain from having a big heavy bunch of keys to hang onto and wear out the switch. I have an extra key (happens to be without diode since they are $1) to keep the steering unlocked. Then I can lock the car with the romote when we travel.
3. There is no requirement to run the engine.
4. Consider a M&G brake and one of my alert lights.
Dave D.
http://MidwayRVSpecialties.com
Old 04-08-2005, 05:08 AM   #7

I have been towing my 2002 Explorer 4X4 for the last year. I have towed it over 11,000 miles with the netural tow kit with no problems. I use a US Gear tow brake. The US Gear tow brake has a wire from the motor home battery which keeps the toad battery charged while towing. The setup has worked well for me.