Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Ford Focus 2012

We have just purchased a new Ford Focus 2012 that is flat towable. The question is the spec sheet says how to set the key/trans, etc. Then the manual goes one step further and says to disconnect the neg. on the battery. If we did that then the brake buddy would not work and a Ford rep said it may void the warranty because electric isn't going through the system. Does anyone have the procedure or why touch the neg terminal?

theace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just rig an alternate power outlet direct to the battery for the Brake Buddy. It's easy enough to do and better than using the dash power outlet anyway (the dash outlet is often under-powered for a BB).

I don't understand the Ford rep's warranty comment. If you follow the Ford towing instructions, how can there be a warranty issue? Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant?

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Good info here.. should still pertain to the 2012 models: Towing a 2011 Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX - FMCA Motorhome Forums

I am towing a 2010 Mercury Milan and from the first tow the battery was dead after 6 hours. Ford would not respone to this problem. They said to use a charger from the motor home when towing. I purchased a charging kit off the internet and installed on MH and tow car. After 6 hours of towing the car would start but another 3 hours the car would not start with out a jump. The charging system off the internet was advertised to charge at 10 amps. Testing showed a 3 amp charge rate with the MH engine running. There is a 6 to 7 amp drain when ignition key in tow position. 6 amps for 6 hours will drain the 37 amp hour battery in the Milan. I started removing fuses while monitoring the current and found that the instrument cluster (fuse 26 on the Milan) was drawing 4 to 5 amps. I made a fused switch jumper and installed in F26 position (laying on my back and removing fuse for each tow was too hard). Now when car is configured to tow I open the switch and for the past year and 8,000 miles no battery problem. The 2010 Ford Focus and Fusion has the same battery problem when towing.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Ford Focus 2012

Midniteoy, thank you so much for the information. We are going to the wiring company and I will take this to him.
Gary, The manual says to disconnect the neg terminal. This is the direct quote from the Ford rep. email: “According to your vehicle's Owners Guide, it states that the vehicle's negative battery cable must be disconnected. The Owner's Guide is the manufacturer's (Ford) book of instructions for your vehicle. If a part or component were to fail because the battery was disconnected, the warranty may not cover those repairs.”
If this doesn’t cause more confusion I don’t know what does.
theace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
After reading the Rep's quote, I am convinced that he mispoke or had a case of "fat fingers" on the computer. Makes more sense that a failed part would not be covered under warranty if the battery were NOT disconnected. Just think....what is one supposed to do when the vehicle's battery must be changed due to age or an internal battery problem still covered by the warranty??

Suggest you follow the Owner's Manual since it is the base authority for such things. As a former automotive manufacturer factory rep, I know all too well that even reps make mistakes....they are, after all, humans. And most of us are/were not electrical engineers. God knows I made my share of mistatements....still do! Take care....
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Agree.. he ment "NOT disconnected"

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote