Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #1

Just bought a ford focus (08) manual shift to use as a toad. Anyone towing one now. Will not pick up until monday, so dont have the book to see what the towing procedures are. Any advice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

Just bought a ford focus (08) manual shift to use as a toad. Anyone towing one now. Will not pick up until monday, so dont have the book to see what the towing procedures are. Any advice?
Old 08-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #3

I am towing a 2007 Ford Focus 4 down.

I installed a Blue Ox baseplate on the car (to do this you have to strip down the front end of the car to get to the front of the frame -- that is what the baseplate mounts on (my wife had a heart attack as I had the brand new car front end laying in pieces in the garage -- I have the road appearance package with the low valiance too) -- this took about 6 hours of my labor.

I use a Blue Ox tow bar and I have installed the Roadmaster supplement brake system with the break away (Model 9160 -- I have air brakes on my MH). The install of the brake system took a while longer as I had to fashion a mounting bracket for the air cylinder (mounts under the hood) and I fashioned mounting brackets for the connections at the front of the car (break away switch, air connection, electrical connection).

In order to monitor when the brakes are being applied to the toad, I fashioned a mount for a second brake switch -- it activates the light on my MH dash to let me know when the brake has been applied.

I also used the Roadmaster wiring harness to put supplemental lights in the back lights of the Focus so I did not have to cut into the Focus's factory wiring.

A couple of hints -- you can buy a key (from any locksmith) that will just turn on the accessories -- will not allow the car to start and that is what I use when towing. Also when you turn on the key, you will feel it turn to one notch and then a second one before you get to the start part of the rotation. The first one unlocks the steering wheel but, DOES NOT turn on any electric -- that is the position that I tow in -- unlocked wheel but no electrical drain from the car battery.

I am very happy with the system. Just as a note, I purchased all of the components off of Ebay at quite a savings from the listed prices. As an example the supplemental brake system was purchsed for $550.00 including shipping.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #4

I tow a 2000 Ford Focus 4 down. Use Road master base plates, just required removal of two lower grill pieces. Wired it myself with the univeral wiring kit using the existing Ford tail lights. Use a Brake Buddy as auxiliary braking with break away. The 2000 only required you to turn the key on and then off without removal and the steering wheel is unlocked and no battery drain or mileage recording. Quite easy and a great tow car.