Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

A salesman is not the horses mouth and I work at a Ford dealer and also worked at Ford at SEO. However, when all else fails, read the owners guide. It states it right in there on page 302. The transmission in the V6 Explorer is the same 6F50/55 that is in the Edge, Taurus, and Flex that have a lot of history of successful flat towing.
The OP's question was about a Focus. But the same applies no mater what make/model.
__________________

__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tehachapi CA
Posts: 63
Towing Focus

We bought a 2012 just to tow and it works great.... never know it is back there.
__________________

__________________
Russ & Melody
Tehachapi, CA
2005 Forest River Georgetown 37'5", Ford, 3 slides
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The OP's question was about a Focus. But the same applies no mater what make/model.
Yes I know, don't ask a salesman but look in the owners guide to find the exact information. To many people believe the salesman knows. He knows he needs to make a sale. Some are good and try to stay informed, but many go from dealer to dealer. Next talk to a transmission tech that has a clue and have him show you the correct information.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

Yes I know, don't ask a salesman but look in the owners guide to find the exact information. Next talk to a transmission tech that has a clue and have him show you the correct information.
Touché I began my life as a Ford Tech (back in the day when all they would do was go fast, no stopping or steering, just fast) so I agree with you. My point was to do your due diligence Before rushing out and buying a vehicle based on what you read on an Internet forum. Could be a costly mistake.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Touché I began my life as a Ford Tech (back in the day when all they would do was go fast, no stopping or steering, just fast) so I agree with you. My point was to do your due diligence Before rushing out and buying a vehicle based on what you read on an Internet forum. Could be a costly mistake.
yes but I was correcting your mistake by taking the salesmans word as gospel instead of having him show you in the owners guide. Unless you were looking at an Explorer with the 2.0L and only wanted that. But based on your description, you indicated all new body style or 13 Explorers and that is incorrect. So hopefully anyone reading this will know exactly where to look for the accurate information that is backed and warrantied by Ford and not take the internet or salesmans word.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
tedgard01's Avatar


 
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 3,009
I just happened to be out shopping for a new toad today.

I can truly affirm that the sales people nor the sales managers knew which model could or could not be flat towed. Always read the manual yourself.

I had both sales persons and sales managers tell me that none of their models are recommended for flat towing (different dealer types) when I know for a fact that they had models that were totally able to be flat towed.

I stopped asking the question, because it confused them. I just asked to look at the model I was interested in, then read the manual for that model.
__________________
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
OK, but, I still would not go out and buy any vehicle to tow without getting the skinny directly from the Horses Mouth.
Even that is no guarantee! We did that with our '05 Ody, even got it in writing on Honda letterhead. Then the legal dept and bean counters decided not to allow it. After some "negotiations" involving the AG's office they did pay us back about $2,200 we paid for the brackets and towbar. Had we not had it in writing we'd have been out of luck as far as they were concerned.
Over the years I've seen more than a few of the Ody's being towed and talked to the owners who all said they haven't had any trouble so now I'm trying four down again.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Yes I know, don't ask a salesman but look in the owners guide to find the exact information. Too many people believe the salesman knows. He knows he needs to make a sale. Some are good and try to stay informed, but many go from dealer to dealer. Next talk to a transmission tech that has a clue and have him show you the correct information.
The owners manual is not the final word, the manufacturers customer service line will have the latest. We found that out some years ago with our '05 Ody and trying to get Honda to do a buy back. The legal dept told us some of the manuals incorrectly said that some of their vehicles were towable four dawn and they weren't.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The owners manual is not the final word, the manufacturers customer service line will have the latest. We found that out some years ago with our '05 Ody and trying to get Honda to do a buy back. The legal dept told us some of the manuals incorrectly said that some of their vehicles were towable four dawn and they weren't.
Unless there is a provided addendum, (like the 2012 Fusion and Escape) the owners manual is a legal document. If it states it can be done, the manufacture has to back it up. Have I seen many claims warrantied because it was printed in the owners guide. This includes engine replacements. That is the information the manufactures give the owners so they know exactly what needs to be done and how it works. Cant say I have ever seen an issue that warranty was denied when it is printed in the owners manual or a supplied addendum. By all means call customer support for more info but make sure they back that information up in writing also.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Rockwood27's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Freedom, NH
Posts: 949
Here are the facts from the Focus Owner's Guide

I've copied pages (218 - 220) of the 2013 Ford Focus (3rd printing) Owner's Guide here for their directions on recreational towing (I have a 2013 Focus ST, but prefer to dolly tow it.) Take from it what you will:

Source: 2013 Focus (foc) Owners Guide gf, 3rd Printing, November 2012 USA (fus)

Recreational Towing
Note:
Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to
prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle. Refer to the
Climate
Controls
chapter for more information.

Note:
You must tow your vehicle in the forward direction to avoid
damage to the internal transmission components. In addition, we
recommend you follow the instructions provided by the aftermarket
manufacturer of the towing equipment, if provided.
Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing, such
as towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. We designed these
guidelines to prevent damage to your transmission.
Before you tow your vehicle, follow these directions for your specific
vehicle configuration
after it is hooked-up to the recreational vehicle or
tow dolly:

Vehicles with a Manual Transmission
1. Release the parking brake.
2. Move the gearshift to the neutral position.
The maximum towing speed is 70 mph (113 km/h).

There is no limitation on towing distance.


Vehicles with an Automatic Transmission but No Push Button Start
System

Note:
There must be battery power to properly move the transmission’s
internal components to position
N in Step 3. In addition, moving the
gearshift to position
N without first turning the ignition to the on (II)
position limits the towing capability to 35 mph (56 km/h) and 50 miles
(80 kilometers).
1. Release the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition to the on (II) position.
3. Press the brake pedal, then move the gearshift to position
N.

4. Wait for TRANSMISSION READY to appear in the multi-function
display, then turn the ignition to the off (0) position and release the
brake pedal.
5. Disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery.
(The anti-theft system does not function until the battery
cable is reconnected.) See
Changing the vehicle battery in the

Maintenance
chapter when disconnecting and reconnecting the
battery cable.

The maximum towing speed is 70 mph (113 km/h).

There is no limitation on towing distance.
When done towing, start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting
the battery cable. When reconnecting that cable, tighten it until it is
snug against the terminal. Be careful not to over-tighten.

Vehicles with an Automatic Transmission and Push Button Start
System
Note:
There must be battery power to properly move the transmission’s
internal components to position
N in Step 3. In addition, moving the
gearshift to position
N without first turning the ignition to the on (II)
position limits the towing capability to 35 mph (56 km/h) and 50 miles
(80 kilometers).
1. Release the parking brake.
2. Activate the ignition by pressing the START button, but
not applying
the brake pedal.

3. Press the brake pedal, and then move the gearshift to position N.

Release the brake pedal.
4. Wait for TRANSMISSION READY to appear in the multi-function
display, and then switch the ignition off by pressing the START
button.
5. Disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery. (You need
the door key [inside the Intelligent Access Key] to lock and unlock
doors when the battery cable is disconnected. In addition, the
anti-theft system does not function until the battery cable is
reconnected.) See
Changing the vehicle battery in the

Maintenance
chapter when disconnecting and reconnecting the
battery cable.

The maximum towing speed is 70 mph (113 km/h).

There is no limitation on towing distance.
When done towing, start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting
the battery cable. When reconnecting that cable, tighten it until it is
snug against the terminal. Be careful not to over-tighten.


Fran

__________________
Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed
'13 Ford Focus ST or '10 Prius on Master Tow Dolly 80THD-SB or '00 Jeep Cherokee 4-down
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
Registered User
 
hanko's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Howell, Mi
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I've copied pages (218 - 220) of the 2013 Ford Focus (3rd printing) Owner's Guide here for their directions on recreational towing (I have a 2013 Focus ST, but prefer to dolly tow it.) Take from it what you will:

Source: 2013 Focus (foc) Owners Guide gf, 3rd Printing, November 2012 USA (fus)

Recreational Towing


Note:
Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to
prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle. Refer to the

Climate
Controls

chapter for more information.
Note:


You must tow your vehicle in the forward direction to avoid
damage to the internal transmission components. In addition, we
recommend you follow the instructions provided by the aftermarket
manufacturer of the towing equipment, if provided.
Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing, such
as towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. We designed these
guidelines to prevent damage to your transmission.
Before you tow your vehicle, follow these directions for your specific
vehicle configuration

after it is hooked-up to the recreational vehicle or
tow dolly:
Vehicles with a Manual Transmission
1. Release the parking brake.
2. Move the gearshift to the neutral position.


The maximum towing speed is 70 mph (113 km/h).


There is no limitation on towing distance.

Vehicles with an Automatic Transmission but No Push Button Start
System
Note:


There must be battery power to properly move the transmission’s
internal components to position

N in Step 3. In addition, moving the
gearshift to position

N without first turning the ignition to the on (II)
position limits the towing capability to 35 mph (56 km/h) and 50 miles
(80 kilometers).
1. Release the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition to the on (II) position.
3. Press the brake pedal, then move the gearshift to position

N.
4. Wait for TRANSMISSION READY to appear in the multi-function
display, then turn the ignition to the off (0) position and release the
brake pedal.
5. Disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery.
(The anti-theft system does not function until the battery
cable is reconnected.) See


Changing the vehicle battery in the
Maintenance


chapter when disconnecting and reconnecting the
battery cable.


The maximum towing speed is 70 mph (113 km/h).


There is no limitation on towing distance.
When done towing, start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting
the battery cable. When reconnecting that cable, tighten it until it is
snug against the terminal. Be careful not to over-tighten.
Vehicles with an Automatic Transmission and Push Button Start
System
Note:


There must be battery power to properly move the transmission’s
internal components to position

N in Step 3. In addition, moving the
gearshift to position

N without first turning the ignition to the on (II)
position limits the towing capability to 35 mph (56 km/h) and 50 miles
(80 kilometers).
1. Release the parking brake.
2. Activate the ignition by pressing the START button, but

not applying
the brake pedal.
3. Press the brake pedal, and then move the gearshift to position N.
Release the brake pedal.
4. Wait for TRANSMISSION READY to appear in the multi-function
display, and then switch the ignition off by pressing the START
button.
5. Disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery. (You need
the door key [inside the Intelligent Access Key] to lock and unlock
doors when the battery cable is disconnected. In addition, the
anti-theft system does not function until the battery cable is
reconnected.) See


Changing the vehicle battery in the
Maintenance


chapter when disconnecting and reconnecting the
battery cable.


The maximum towing speed is 70 mph (113 km/h).


There is no limitation on towing distance.
When done towing, start the engine within 15 minutes of reconnecting
the battery cable. When reconnecting that cable, tighten it until it is
snug against the terminal. Be careful not to over-tighten.


Fran



isnt it just easier toget one a manual tranny and not have to go through alll this.

__________________
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
Rkh
Registered User
 
Rkh's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wercmpn View Post
Looking to find it if a 2013 (approx) Ford Focus would make a good tow vehicle?
Hanko, not sure if the OP was looking for advise on manual vs auto, dolly vs four down. OP hasn't been heard from since. So, I guess the thread is ours.

As for complexity of manual vs auto flat towing, they are almost the same. After an initial installation of a $10 battery cutoff switch that took 15 minutes to install, the time needed to set up a manual vs auto 2012 Focus is the 10 seconds it takes to activate the battery cutoff switch.
- turn key on, put in neutral, turn key off
- disconnect battery.
Go. (After engaging light and braking solution)

This transmission fully disengages the drive train so I'm less concerned with Ford changing their mind on this..
Many people do not want a manual transmission, ever. The 2012 Focus is ideal for them. Great tow vehicle and great every day car w/auto trans!
__________________
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Hanko, not sure if the OP was looking for advise on manual vs auto, dolly vs four down. OP hasn't been heard from since. So, I guess the thread is ours.

As for complexity of manual vs auto flat towing, they are almost the same. After an initial installation of a $10 battery cutoff switch that took 15 minutes to install, the time needed to set up a manual vs auto 2012 Focus is the 10 seconds it takes to activate the battery cutoff switch.
- turn key on, put in neutral, turn key off
- disconnect battery.
Go. (After engaging light and braking solution)

This transmission fully disengages the drive train so I'm less concerned with Ford changing their mind on this..
Many people do not want a manual transmission, ever. The 2012 Focus is ideal for them. Great tow vehicle and great every day car w/auto trans!
Plus for those that do not know, the automatic transmission is actually a manual transmission that is shifted and clutch control is via a computer. The transmission is exactly like a manual transmission with no lube pump or anything. Just a standard gear box. Other clutch issues, the transmission part has been very reliable. Just getting used to the characteristic noises and some slight take off shudder from slipping the clutch.
__________________
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Plus for those that do not know, the automatic transmission is actually a manual transmission that is shifted and clutch control is via a computer. The transmission is exactly like a manual transmission with no lube pump or anything. Just a standard gear box. Other clutch issues, the transmission part has been very reliable. Just getting used to the characteristic noises and some slight take off shudder from slipping the clutch.
+1 It takes some getting used to. One thing that took me by surprise, is that it will not hold position on a hill for more than a few seconds. I mean, if you stop on a hill, and take your foot off the brake, it'll hold for a few seconds then all of a sudden release with no warning and you're rolling down the hill backwards! Not a problem now that I know, but had there been someone on my bumper when it happened the first time, I'd have rolled into them. Much different than automatic transmissions I have driven in the past.
__________________

__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.