Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
+1 It takes some getting used to. One thing that took me by surprise, is that it will not hold position on a hill for more than a few seconds. I mean, if you stop on a hill, and take your foot off the brake, it'll hold for a few seconds then all of a sudden release with no warning and you're rolling down the hill backwards! Not a problem now that I know, but had there been someone on my bumper when it happened the first time, I'd have rolled into them. Much different than automatic transmissions I have driven in the past.

That is called HSA (hill start assist). Most Ford vehicles have that now. We used to get a lot of complaints about that when the Fiesta and Focus was released because it was not explained to them during purchase. It is in the owners manual but not a lot of people read that. However, it is nice but you have to be aware of it. As a warning about HSA, if you are parked on a hill with your foot on the brake and turn off the ignition, HSA will remain active. When you release the brake and get out of the car, it can move backwards a few inch's. Hopefully engineering has updated the calibration to prevent this but I do not know if they have at this time. Just be aware.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
That is called HSA (hill start assist). Most Ford vehicles have that now. We used to get a lot of complaints about that when the Fiesta and Focus was released because it was not explained to them during purchase. It is in the owners manual but not a lot of people read that. However, it is nice but you have to be aware of it. As a warning about HSA, if you are parked on a hill with your foot on the brake and turn off the ignition, HSA will remain active. When you release the brake and get out of the car, it can move backwards a few inch's. Hopefully engineering has updated the calibration to prevent this but I do not know if they have at this time. Just be aware.
Thanks for the info, now I'll go read about HSA.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Thanks for the info, now I'll go read about HSA.
no problem. I should have been more clear though. HSA remains active as long as the brakes are applied and the vehicle is on an incline 1.5 degrees or more. Once the brakes are released (even if ignition was just turned off), HSA remains active for about 3 seconds and then releases the brakes. This is where the sudden roll back in park is noticed.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
isnt it just easier toget one a manual tranny and not have to go through alll this.

[/LEFT]
I too am looking for a towed vehicle at this time too, and yes the Focus is one of my choices too. Not everyone can drive a manual anymore. After breaking both knees years ago in the service, driving a manual aggravates my knees so my answer would be; No it's not easier.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
I too am looking for a towed vehicle at this time too, and yes the Focus is one of my choices too. Not everyone can drive a manual anymore. After breaking both knees years ago in the service, driving a manual aggravates my knees so my answer would be; No it's not easier.
I wasnt including people with medical issues, so please give me a little credit. My point was not having to pull fuses, disconect batteries, a manual for me anyway is a good choice.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #34

Quote:

I wasnt including people with medical issues, so please give me a little credit. My point was not having to pull fuses, disconect batteries, a manual for me anyway is a good choice.
As you hadn't excluded anyone I was pointing that out, no worries if I could still drive one I would. Even with most new manual trans vehicles you'd still need to pull fuses and disconnect, those chores aren't trans specific. They're system specific due to electronics drain and such.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #35

Dennis and James:

The first time I heard the phrase "Straight from the horse's mouth", a friend added "rather than from the other end of the horse, where most people seem to get their information".

Incidentally, the Focus is regarded by authorities in the UK as being capable of towing caravans (a.k.a. travel trailers) up to 3000 pounds maximum weight.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Dennis and James:

The first time I heard the phrase "Straight from the horse's mouth", a friend added "rather than from the other end of the horse, where most people seem to get their information".

Incidentally, the Focus is regarded by authorities in the UK as being capable of towing caravans (a.k.a. travel trailers) up to 3000 pounds maximum weight.
Authorities. as in people with badges?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
As you hadn't excluded anyone I was pointing that out, no worries if I could still drive one I would. Even with most new manual trans vehicles you'd still need to pull fuses and disconnect, those chores aren't trans specific. They're system specific due to electronics drain and such.
I guess the "pull fuse" thing is dependant on the brake system. My Invisibrake is "plug and play". No fuse pulling, no dead batteries, no lugging a unit in and out of the drivers footwell.

Whatever Toad you do get, get an Invisibrake brake unit.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Instead of pulling the fuse you could use one post in a 6 or 7 pin hook up for a dedicated 12 v (+) connecting RV battery to toad battery. Just include a couple of auto reseting circuit breakers near each battery to protect the wiring and you'll be good to go. RV will continue to keep toad battery charged just as it does for chassis batteries. The 20 or 30 amp auto reset CB keeps toad battery from trying to provide starting current for RV engine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is set up with a hot wire from the moho. It can charge the focus battery, and it also has a plug under the dash for the brake device. One thing that surprised me is the car doesnt have a steering collum lock. so I can go with key in my pocket.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Mine is set up with a hot wire from the moho. It can charge the focus battery, and it also has a plug under the dash for the brake device. One thing that surprised me is the car doesnt have a steering collum lock. so I can go with key in my pocket.
Just wondering about the key in the pocket. My key will not come out if the transmission is in neutral, also the owner manual does not anything about removing the key.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #41

What brand of base plate is best for the 2012 Focus. Also how do you attach the safety chains as the bottom is covered?
radd226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd226 View Post
What brand of base plate is best for the 2012 Focus. Also how do you attach the safety chains as the bottom is covered?

Blue Ox