Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #29

OK, here is the bad news. This is the correct approach and the 2012 Manual is being revised by Ford. Step 5 c. is the critical point and I will now sit for five minutes with one cheek on the seat and my leg around the BB running through the gears. Actually, I may use a little pole to hold the brake down with one hand while I shift continuously for five minutes with the other hand.

Quote:
SERVICE GUIDELINE
There are specific instructions listed in the Owner Guide that must be followed to recreational tow/flat tow/tow a vehicle with all 4 tires on the ground. Advise customers of the following expanded recreational towing guidelines.

1. Transmission fluid level must be checked at operating temperature of 85 C - 93 C (185 F - 200 F), per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01. At this temperature, adjust fluid level to the flat tow area on the dipstick . This level is within the safe operating fluid level and does not require the customer to have the fluid level readjusted after flat tow operation. (Figure 1)

2. Tow the vehicle in a forward direction.

3. Maximum towing speed is 105 Km/h (65 MPH).

4. Do not flat tow the vehicle for greater than 6 hours at a time.

5. Start and run the engine for:

a. 5 minutes before towing each day.

b. 5 minutes every 6 hours or less.

c. 5 minutes at idle with foot on the brake while shifting through all gears.

These guidelines are designed to prevent damage to the transmission due to overheating.
They will NOT be notifying owners who would not have the "correct" procedure unless they somehow learned about the TSB's that go back to 2009. That puzzles me and troubles me. If one were not on these forums how would one know. What else might I not be learning about on my Flex, Escape and E450? Do I have to do a search periodically for TSBs?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you quote the source of your information? The 2012 manual certainly doesn't contain that wording at this time. You say the manual will be revised.....how about past model years or is it just a requirement for newer models?

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #31

That is the problem. The TSB says 2009 to 2012 Escape and Fusion. They will only be making the revision to the next edition of the 2012 manual. I noted that some years they've had four editions.

That will not even be sent to owners of 2012's. If they don't send manual revisions (like GM did for Cruze owners - mind you the news there was "you can't tow") or TSB's one has to ask how the H anyone is supposed to know. Dealers are usually so busy they haven't got the time to recall who uses their Escape of Fusion to tow. In my case the dealer has ONE customer who tows - ME.

I do not have a name and one will simply have to wait for the next edition of the operators' manual to see the change. If it comes out and does not have the change, then I may have to go for a drive across the Detroit River when we return from FLA. What is hard to understand is that the process they are saying applies was first mentioned in the 2009 TSB but yet NEVER included in the manual for 2009 next edition, 2010, 2011 or 2012 until the next edition. How does Ford expect customers who want to do the right thing to know what it is.

The TSB does mention the Remco lube pump but also says warranty is invalid if it causes damage.

Yes, very frustrating. I am going to run the gears for five minutes. What a PITA.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #32
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
OK, here is the bad news. This is the correct approach and the 2012 Manual is being revised by Ford. Step 5 c. is the critical point and I will now sit for five minutes with one cheek on the seat and my leg around the BB running through the gears. Actually, I may use a little pole to hold the brake down with one hand while I shift continuously for five minutes with the other hand...
Our Roadmaster Brake Pro (similar to the Brake Buddy) has a test button that actuates brake pedal. If BB has a similar button, you can hold it down with one hand while shifting with the other.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
The query on the 5 minute running and shifting is now into the mill at Ford and hopefully I'll get a definitive reply soon.

I'll post the reply - provided I get one.
Forgive me but I'm a little confused by your posts. In post #26 (quoted above) it appears you contacted Ford for an interpretation of the language in the TSB. Then, in post #29, you state "OK, here is the bad news. This is the correct approach and the 2012 Manual is being revised by Ford." You go on to quote the language in the TSB. I asked who you got that info from and you said you didn't have a name.

My question is: Did someone at Ford confirm the language as shifting for 5 minutes or are you simply reverting back to the new TSB which seems to state that.

Please don't take this as arguementative, I am simply trying to understand if Ford has confirmed the language.....it IS an important issue.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Our Roadmaster Brake Pro (similar to the Brake Buddy) has a test button that actuates brake pedal. If BB has a similar button, you can hold it down with one hand while shifting with the other.
Yes, we hit the test button 3 times to take vacuum out the brakes. Will try holding it and see what happens.

Tx

Don
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Forgive me but I'm a little confused by your posts. In post #26 (quoted above) it appears you contacted Ford for an interpretation of the language in the TSB. Then, in post #29, you state "OK, here is the bad news. This is the correct approach and the 2012 Manual is being revised by Ford." You go on to quote the language in the TSB. I asked who you got that info from and you said you didn't have a name.

My question is: Did someone at Ford confirm the language as shifting for 5 minutes or are you simply reverting back to the new TSB which seems to state that.

Please don't take this as arguementative, I am simply trying to understand if Ford has confirmed the language.....it IS an important issue.
Yes, it was the Ford tech people that the service manager called. They took the details and called back after investigating. And what they told him I passed on. He knows the people he called face to face as we are just across the river from Dearborn. As I indicated, written confirmation will come when we see a revised 2012 manual. If we don't see a change in the next manual release - well, I try a different route. The route I was hoping to use was not available.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shadow - Thank you for the explanation. I will await further developments on this topic.

Tags
ford, towing