Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Ford has changed 6F35 flat towing instructions

See this thread at FMCA. The OP didn't think there was any change but notice that during the 5 minutes the engine is to be run you have to run the transmission through the gears for the full five minutes (with your foot on the brake of course - which is lots of fun when you have the Brake Buddy in place).

Ford TSB for Towing Fusion, Escape, Mariner - FMCA Motorhome Forums

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a shame people post "opinion" as "fact". It makes no sense to shift gears for 5 minutes and that is strictly an interpretation of the TSB.

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
It's a shame people post "opinion" as "fact". It makes no sense to shift gears for 5 minutes and that is strictly an interpretation of the TSB.
Yes, it is a shame. In fact that is exactly what you have done, stated "your" opinion. The TSB states " 5 minutes at idle with foot on the brake while shifting through the gears" I don't think it gets any clearer than that. My interpretation would be "5 minutes at idle with foot on the brake shifting through the gears"
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
In NM until Friday when we Amtrak back to Dearborn. I'll be contacting Ford on Monday for a definitive ruling and post it here.

When there is doubt you try to clear it up from the best source and an official source if possible. IMO you are not my best source in this instance nor are you an official source. Perhaps you can call Ford this week and post their comments.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I have already contacted Ford for a definitive answer (my dealer has already interpreted it to be once thru the gears so it is just NOT my opinion.....but I realize it is an OPINION and that's what I said about the post on the FMCA site. Meanwhile, those that wish to shift for 5 minutes, feel free.

If Ford comes back with a different interpretation, I will honor that but at this point, having towed my Escape for nearly two years shifting thru only once after idling for 5 minutes with NO problems, I will stick with what my dealer said.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
IMO you are not my best source in this instance nor are you an official source.
Neither is a post on the FCMA forum or any other.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Neither is a post on the FCMA forum or any other.
When did you get your opinion from Ford - before or after the recently issued TSB?

If the did not intend to make a change the question then is why did they change the wording?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shadow - actually, the old TSB (#09-20-13) stated EXACTLY the same thing and I quote from it: "C. While running the engine at idle for 5 minutes, with foot on the brake, shift thru all gears" How is that language any different than the new one ? That is the TSB my dealer interpreted as shifting once thru. Not sure why anyone thinks the wording is different on that point.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Shadow - actually, the old TSB (#09-20-13) stated EXACTLY the same thing and I quote from it: "C. While running the engine at idle for 5 minutes, with foot on the brake, shift thru all gears" How is that language any different than the new one ? That is the TSB my dealer interpreted as shifting once thru. Not sure why anyone thinks the wording is different on that point.
Agreed but the first TSB only applied to 2009 and 2010 Escapes. This one applies to 2009 to 2012.

Now, the TSB 9-20-13 issued Oct 5, 2009 was issued WELL before my 2011 was build and before they made a fix (so we are told) to the transmission (story is a new or changed baffle as of Feb 2010).

So, you would think my operators manual for the 2011 would have the same wording. This is what it states and what is being supplemented by the recent 2011 TSB:

"If the vehicle is equpped with automatic transmission, start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginnig of each day and every six hourss thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into D (Drive) and the into R (Reverse) before shifting back to neutral."

This is likely what you are doing and what I am doing and what I hope still applies because shifting for 5 minutes with one's foot on the brake and the brake buddy in will be a royal PITA.

So, when I call them next week and discuss this I'm going to ask them to spell it out very carefully and hope they will send me an email that I can post here and elsewhere. I may have my son try to identify the right person as he worked on the original design with respect to some components (not the transmission) and spent over 6 weeks in Japan as it was a Ford-Mazda joint effort.

Don
Old 09-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Ford Escape 2006 HYBRID owner

We are considering getting a new or used regular Escape to replace our HYBRID. We are waiting to hear what you find out, Shadow. Thank you for checking.

We had to get new brakes for our Hybrid in 2007, when the brakes burned out as we towed cross country from CA to Ohio. At that point, no one knew you were/are not supposed to hook up the air hose in the towing package. So without the air hose the tow works fine. Except then we had the power steering go out every time we drove it. This was corrected when we turned engine off and then back on. Needless to say we rent cars when we reach our destination now.

Waiting to hear the end of your story. Thank you!

OpiesMom, from El Cajon, CA.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #11

Frankly, I don't really know what to expect from Ford. I'm in Taos, NM this evening and for entertainment I just downloaded the 2012 Escape operators manual - most recent printing. No change from my 2011.

I don't think Ford is mailing the TSBs to owners (I sure didn't get the recent one) so it makes one wonder if their left hand knows what their right hand is doing.

Don

Sent from my iPad
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To further confuse the situation, I received the following e-mail today from Ford customer service and all they do is refer me back to my dealer who already told me to shift once thru the gears. Guess this still isn't settled, I will be anxious to see what response you get.

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company, this is Angeline from Customer Service Department and I received your email regarding the Technical Service Bulletin on your 2010 Ford Escape.

Please note that the best source of information on Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) affecting your vehicle is your local Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealer. They are in the best position address discuss this matter for you.

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Sincerely,
Angeline
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company, this is Angeline from Customer Service Department and I received your email regarding the Technical Service Bulletin on your 2010 Ford Escape.

Please note that the best source of information on Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) affecting your vehicle is your local Ford, Lincoln or Mercury Dealer. They are in the best position address discuss this matter for you.

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Sincerely,
Angeline
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company
That has been a typical FMC response. You can't talk to them you have to talk to the dealer. The Dealers have been pathetically uninformed regarding flat towing requirements. I also believe that a lot of Dealers contributed to the blown transmission problem by not taking the need to reduce the trans oil level seriously and not doing it correctly. I have had to get the TSB myself and take it in to them at two dealerships.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
I also believe that a lot of Dealers contributed to the blown transmission problem by not taking the need to reduce the trans oil level seriously and not doing it correctly.
I couldn't agree with you more on that assessment. To me, that might help explain why some have had no problems while others have gone thru multiple transmissions. I know that adjusting the level is a little more complex than just draining some fluid and checking the stick, which is what I suspect a lot of dealers might do. As for me, I trust my dealer, he is a personal acquaintance, and his service crew is top notch. I have had no problems.

As to the shifting requirement in the TSB, I think the wording is sufficiently vague and the cause of all this varied interpretation. It's unfortunate that my attempt to clarify it with Ford has produced a useless response but hopefully Shadow will get a better answer. As for myself, I will continue with my interpretation (per my dealer) until I hear different.

Tags
ford, towing