Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update....NTK installed at Ford dealer...kit was $65 but with labor the total was $244. A bit more involved with the '08...had to remove center console, etc.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Russo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ultimately, my NTK now works
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For Bob Russo, Now that your NTK is working does the light stay on or does it go out after a minute? I also have a 2007 Explorer and mine goes out after a minute. If it could be programmed by ford to stay on then a remote light could be wired into the MH.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by smlranger:
I just traded my '04 Explorer for an '08. I removed the little light/pigtail/connector and took it to my Ford dealer and asked if they could use it and do the neutral tow programming on the '08.
I was wondering if you put the original indicator light back into the 04 Ford?

I started to wondered about this since the dealer, after installing and testing my NTK, had me put the 3 warning stickers on the car, stating that the car can roll if the transfer case is put into neutral. One on the front by the radiator, one on the fire wall, and the 3rd one on the inside cover of the owners guide. While it is easy to remove the light, it requires a trip back to dealer to reprogram the car computer to remove the NTK option and not allow the transfer case to go into neutral by following - or inadvertently doing the neutral engage sequence by accident.

As others had mentioned, this option should be both a factory option as well as dealer install. (I would prefer DIY). It took me too the 3rd dealer to get it done in Austin cost was $150.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
The NTK for the 08 Explorer is different. I believe they have to make a connection under the center console as well. I have seen post describing the 08 installation. You got off cheap, my dealer charged me $267.

My problem with Ford and the NTK is the NTK is a Ford authorized aftermarket part that Ford provides no support on. In other words, the dealer told me that Ford told them to contact the part supplier for installation questions. Then, the supplier of the part does not provide detailed instructions on how to install. My kit came in a box by itself and had no supporting documents or instructions. I spent three trips and several hours getting mine right. However, I have now used it twice now and has worked great. Just a pain to get to this point!

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by jhanan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
I just traded my '04 Explorer for an '08. I removed the little light/pigtail/connector and took it to my Ford dealer and asked if they could use it and do the neutral tow programming on the '08.
I was wondering if you put the original indicator light back into the 04 Ford?

I started to wondered about this since the dealer, after installing and testing my NTK, had me put the 3 warning stickers on the car, stating that the car can roll if the transfer case is put into neutral. One on the front by the radiator, one on the fire wall, and the 3rd one on the inside cover of the owners guide. While it is easy to remove the light, it requires a trip back to dealer to reprogram the car computer to remove the NTK option and not allow the transfer case to go into neutral by following - or inadvertently doing the neutral engage sequence by accident.

As others had mentioned, this option should be both a factory option as well as dealer install. (I would prefer DIY). It took me too the 3rd dealer to get it done in Austin cost was $150. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't use the pigtail from the '04. The kit for the 06-08 models is different, a bit more wiring and includes a connection under the dash and another in the center console.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
My 07 Explorer only required the connection under the dash and change to allow neutral tow in the vehicle computer. It is my understanding that the 08 requires both the connection under the dash and center console as well as the computer change.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby C:
My problem with Ford and the NTK is the NTK is a Ford authorized aftermarket part that Ford provides no support on. In other words, the dealer told me that Ford told them to contact the part supplier for installation questions. Then, the supplier of the part does not provide detailed instructions on how to install. My kit came in a box by itself and had no supporting documents or instructions. I spent three trips and several hours getting mine right. However, I have now used it twice now and has worked great. Just a pain to get to this point!
I agree completely. Dealer support for this part is not at all solid. For me, I called the dealer about the NTK and they were not sure about which part no. to use on the 2005. I did the research on the part no. and I ordered the right one. Then I want to pickup the part, and like you the part does not come with installation instructions (Ford expects the dealer to know how to intall it). So I found the installation document on the Ford dealer internet site and printed it out myself. I did this to see if I could DIY. But without a reprogrammer that is not possible. So I found the 3rd dealer to do the install again myself. The dealer I purchased the part from could not install it! I gave the instuctions that I printed to the 3rd dealer and even know the mechanice had done the install before, they refered to my printout to do the job. I can't find the link to the manual right now.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce W,

Welcome to iRV2!

My light does go out in about a minute. It comes back on when I open the door.

I suppose it could be wired to another circuit but I wouldn't do it. My concern is that light plus the remote you talked about would drain the battery if constantly on.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #37

Hi all.
I am new here.
Will be setting up in November.
We are thinking of an Explorer Sport Treck.
I am unsure after reading this thead witch transmissions and engins will work.
Is the NTK just for 4x drive and not for the 2 wheel or the 4auto?
I now have a 98 4auto can I use it untill we purchase the sport treck?
Witch sport treck to purchase I am confuesed?
Old 06-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by JBTcajun:
Is the NTK just for 4x drive and not for the 2 wheel or the 4auto?
Yes, it is only for the 4x4 equipped vehicles. It will not work on a 2WD vehicle (no transfer case). It will not work on a AWD (all-wheel-drive) vehicle (the transfer case never disengages - only the transmission will go into N - and that is not enough).

Both the v6 and v8 version of the sport track or explorer are available in the 4WD version. That is one you must have. The NTK is an electronic indicator, that when your vehicle is enabled for this kit, will put the transfer case on this version of the vehicle into neutral (following the procedure given in the kit).
Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #39
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
It will not work on a AWD (all-wheel-drive)
I believe The NTK will work on some AWD depending on the year.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
When I researched 4 down towing and generated a list of acceptable vehciles (seat belts, tow capacity, vehicle weight, etc) fordvehicles.com only says 4X4 are acceptable for 4 down towing. My suggestion is to either contact your local Ford dealer or go www.fordaccessoriesstore.com and search for your vehicle. They may not include model years going back to 1998, but you may be able to email/contact Ford for help? I am sure you will find that the dealerships will not be very much help. I finally contacted a Ford dealer that did an NTK install on a IRV2.com member and ask them to describe the installation process so that I could give it to my local dealer. In the end, the NTK works very well.

Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
I was very concerned about towing anything with an automatic "4wheels down". I searched for my tow vehicle using first the "dingy towing guide" published by motorhome magazine. I think there is on-line access to it. As to Ford products, Ford publishes a tow guide each year. here's 2007 it shows 07 ford vehicles that can be towed.
http://www.texasmotorsford.com/img/384794
Bobby C confirmed that his NTK operates the same as mine and now I am satisfied that it's working properly.
I searched on-line and did not find any complaints about failures of the NTK after it was installed properly and the vehicle computer reprogramed.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #42

Bobby C thanks for your help. They installed mine and it works. They charged me $98. And bought the part on line for $32 shipped.