Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #1

Ford - Neutral Tow Kit

I recently had the Ford Neutral Tow Kit installed on my 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Initially, I had some concerns because the amber light(indicating transfer case in neutral) would go off after about 20-30 seconds. However, when I opened the door the light would immediately come back on. I checked with my dealer, who in turn called Ford Tech. They told me this was normal operation and the amber light goes off with the dome light timer. I'm glad to say all is operating well and in addition the Explorer does not rack up miles as you tow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same concern on my first trip with my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. Only instructions provided were 2 stickers. One placed above the visor and the other put in the manual. Neither the stickers nor the dealer mentioned anything about the light going out. Dealer checked with Ford Tech and said it was normal. I asked if it was connected to the dome light but they said no it was a feature to prevent battery drain. Bottom line, it works and I find it easier to prep for towing than any other toad I've had.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

need information on how to order ford 2004 explorer flat tow kit, dealer can not find kit though they say it is available.
grayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Last I heard, the Neutral Tow Kit needed for an Explorer was out of production. Apparently Ford lost the supplier and there isn't enough parts sale volume to attract a new one. If you do a SEARCH on Ford Neutral Tow you should find several messages threads discussion this.

Here are a couple of them:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/fords...rd+neutral+tow
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/neutr...rd+neutral+tow
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ford-...rd+neutral+tow
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have heard also that the new Fords don't need the kit, so Ford probably won't be looking for a replacement very hard.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The new Ford 6 speed automatic (joint development with GM) does not need any help - it is towable as is, whether FWD or AWD. Many of the new GM and Ford vehicles use this tranny - it's a good one!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't want to steal this thread but I do want to ask Gary a question. Can you tell me if the new 6 speed automatic that you mentioned is going to be available in the new Ford Focus? We like the looks of the Focus Hatchback and would be interested if the automatic was flat towable.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
contact Corry Ford, Corry, Pa. Phone 814 665-8207. They had the kit and know how to install it. The computer has to be reprogrammed. We had it installed in Aug 2010 and it works great.
vttravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't know where I got the original information but I'm installing a 'neutral tow kit' on my 2005 Ford Sport trac so I can two it four down. One thing you'll find out is that Ford does not make this 'kit' any long. However with a little searching on the net you can find out how the kit actually works. It turns out that the only element of the kit is a 12V LED. This is then connected to a plug located under the dash under the steering wheel. The information from Ford does not cover Sport Tracs prior to 2007 (although it covers Explorers). However based on my experience expect to find the 2 wires to be a White/Yellow and a Blue/Yellow wire. A quick look at the installation info from Ford and you'll recognize that the 'direction' you actually wire the LED is immaterial.
Hope this information helps those looking to tow their Sport Trac four-down.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #10

Actually, there is a "New Supplier" for the Ford NTK, from an email from them; "
We do manufacture Neutral Tow Kits for Ford vehicles. You can call and order them at 817-293-3331. We accept Mastercard and Visa
Victory Climate Systems
8174-293-3331"

You may not like the price they charge, [moderator edit].
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
Actually, there is a "New Supplier" for the Ford NTK, from an email from them; "
We do manufacture Neutral Tow Kits for Ford vehicles. You can call and order them at 817-293-3331. We accept Mastercard and Visa
Victory Climate Systems
8174-293-3331"

You may not like the price they charge, [moderator edit].
Be cautious. I contacted one place that said they provided the kit (don't remember their name) and they wanted $100's for the kit. I just got through installing a home made version of the kit. This includes a simple 12v LED and programming from Ford. The Ford dealer I used was Larry Hill Ford in Cleveland, TN and they only charged me about $45 for the programming!