Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Ford Ranger - Easy to Break Into Cab

My son just got all his tools, Ipod, GPS, etc. stolen out of his Ford Ranger while at college.

We never knew it was that easy to break into a Ranger until I did some checking on YouTube:

So if you have a Ranger, beware of what you store in the cab.

Other than an alarm, anyone know of a fix to prevent future break ins?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
My son just got all his tools, Ipod, GPS, etc. stolen out of his Ford Ranger while at college.

We never knew it was that easy to break into a Ranger until I did some checking on YouTube:

So if you have a Ranger, beware of what you store in the cab.

Other than an alarm, anyone know of a fix to prevent future break ins?
Just seeing the video, it appears there is a hole in the handle through which the burglar places a long object to unlock the truck. The hole appears to serve no purpose other than make it easy to break in. How about a quick fix that uses a quick setting epoxy to fill in the hole? That would prevent the quick breakin. Sure, someone could drill out the epoxy, but that requires (a) a drill -- what thief carries one? and (b) more time. Keep in mind that the really determined thief could just break a window to get in so if you simply make it harder (ie fill in the hole in the handle) you should get some deterrent value.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, as I tow a 2008 Ranger.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With very few exceptions I can open any car or truck door in less than a minute.. They are that easy to open

And that, is doing it polietly (So as you do not have damage) I do admit I've been stumped 3 times. (one of those I still got the man into his vehicle, but it cost him 18 dollars)

NOTE that I am not a B&E auto man,, I'm a retired police dispatcher.

But that's how easy it is to break in.. without breaking anything.

Now if my intent is to rip-off.. A hammer and leather gloves is all it takes, Or a brick or a rock, or.. a tire iron,, Well you get the idea

SMASH, (the window) and grab the valuables and run.

Alas.. I don't run so well now days.. so that's not an option.

I once had a car I could unlock faster WITHOUT THE KEY, than with!!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Went to inspect my son's Ranger at his school today. I was obvious to me (but not to him) that they used a flat pry bar to pop out his side window on the extended cab. You could see the dent and scratches they made on the passenger side pillar. The glass was glued in so it was not the kind that normally vent.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
I have a $50 tool and can open most anything in ten seconds with zero damage. Faster if I didn't care.

Ex dealership mechanic. I opened lot vehicles several times a week.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break into car, ford ranger