Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #1

Ford/Remco Transmission Pump Issues

The above two videos depict alarm issue testing with the Ford/Remco trans pump on my 2012 Ford Escape toad. This system was installed by a certified blue oval tech at a Ford dealership. This is the second pump as the first one operated for 70 miles and failed with significant pump casing leaks. This new pump sent numerous pressure alarms during an 1,100 mile trip with the Escape being towed. The alarm, during a 6 hour tow period, finally would not stop, so I had to unplug the system and run the toad at idle for the duration of the trip. Fluid temp is acceptable in the 165 to 175 degree range with ambient air temps of 100 degrees plus. The system appears to either have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a design flaw with air pockets being picked up by the pump due to fluid foaming/whipping or low fluid level at the pan fluid outlet (feed installed in tranny pan drain plug as instructed). The Ford system is manufactured by Remco and has been rebranded as an the "enhanced towing" package at a much higher price. Ford techs have not been able to provide a solution. The Ford Escape is being towed with an Entegra DP. Any thoughts or suggestions to solve the alarm issue versus purchasing a different toad?
Ssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Appears troubleshooting the Ford kit (Remco pump and system) is leading to the transmission fluid level needing to be lowered to half way between the two cross hatch marks on the dipstick. The type of transmission fluid used in the Fords has a characteristic of foaming at higher temperatures when not being pushed through the torque converter. Not lowering the fluid can cause pump pressure alarms and/or pump failure. Will pursue this fix as all other electrical tests (voltage, amp draw, etc.) are within the recommended standards. Remco Industries has been very helpful with great customer service!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

Had to have my Ford installed pump replaced after 8K of use, hope the second one lasts longer. We were four days out from our snowbird location in AZ, so l listened to the pump alarm go from intermittent to full on the last day. Just stopped every 150 miles and checked the trans temp with a laser thermometer, must have some circulation, the temp stayed under 180. Have had the trans replaced twice, really hoping the lube pump will keep the trans alive.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:48 AM   #4

Ford/Remco Trans Pump Update

The third installed transmission pump on my 2012 Ford Escape toad is now working well! No alarms or high transmission temps (over 180 degrees) have occurred during the past 1,500 miles of flat towing. The new pump kit has been upgraded with a Honeywell Pressure Alarm Switch that appears to be much more dependable. The Mercon LV fluid level must be lowered to a level that is slightly above the add mark on the dipstick. With the high foaming characteristics of this fluid type during towing, a higher fluid level will cause system alarms and premature pump failure. I am now pleased with the pump system enhanced towing performance, as more time and toad mileage will hopefully prove reliability!
Old 10-01-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem with my 2008 Chrysler minivan behind my DP. At the time in 2008, Remco had no solution as the problem did not start until you towed about 2 hours in ambient temps that were greater than about 85 degrees. Like you, I was forced on many trips to run the minivan at idle behind the DP which also caused me to disengage the Brake Buddy so the brakes did not lock up.

I still have the minivan with the Remco setup, but bought a Jeep which is MUCH easier to tow 4 down. Based on your info, I may give Remco a call to see if they recommend a fluid drop for my transmission too.

Safe travels.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #6

Remco

Been there done that for past two years. Sent pump back and they said they found medal shavings inside pump. Had transmission fluid changed and tech said he didn't see anything?? They sent me a replacement pump and now the alarm goes off at slow speeds. If I run at 65 it will stay off "sometimes". It doesn't work well at all. Spend a lot of time towing with car started. Would not do it again.
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Has anyone tried Castrol/Transmax ATF full synthetic multi-vehicle transmission fluid. It it is certified by Ford for Mercon LV applications.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know anything about this, but 165-170 deg temps seems high for a transmission that isn't doing anything except having fluid pumped through it...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I don't know anything about this, but 165-170 deg temps seems high for a transmission that isn't doing anything except having fluid pumped through it...

I guess there is still a lot of friction from all the gears turning? Also the blacktop pavement is radiating a lot of heat directly on the transmission which is only inches away.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, transmission