Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #15

Carolina Campers
I towed my '05 Ford Escape Hybrid for many thousands of miles, no problem. As it was older, I traded it in on a Honda CRV, which is very popular as a toad.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I put a ScanGuage II in our Escape (which we no longer own - installed the baseplates in the Cherokee last weekend) and whenever we'd stop the first thing I'd do is check the transmission fluid temperature. What was very annoying was that it got as high as 220 degrees when towing - yet when driving it, it was a chore to get it to 190. Hard to figure.

Probably because when the engine turns the torque converter, it pumps the transmission fluid through the transmission cooler (either a loop in the radiator, or a separate cooler) and cools the fluid. By towing, the torque converter is not pumping the fluid anywhere.....it just splashes around and builds heat by friction.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #17

We had a 2010 that had 3 failures 2 with the lube pump failing it self. On the second lube pump failure it happened about 16 months after there first and ford said to bad. I was not about to spend 1000.00 for the replacement pump and have it do this again. Sold it and bought a Jeep. The first non foxed product I have ever owned
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Probably because when the engine turns the torque converter, it pumps the transmission fluid through the transmission cooler (either a loop in the radiator, or a separate cooler) and cools the fluid. By towing, the torque converter is not pumping the fluid anywhere.....it just splashes around and builds heat by friction.
I'm well aware of that but if you read the technical articles published by a senior Ford member of the joint transmission development effort with GM (which spent $1.4 billion developing that series) they indicated that the team had found a simple solution to this problem.

Well, that simple solution did not seem to work on two versions of the jointly developed transmission. One was in the Escape and the Fusion - 6F35. The other was in the Cruze. GM pulled the plug on towing the cruise very quickly after it was released and toads burned up their transmissions. Ford attempted fixes for over two years and in Feb 12 said "no towing on anything sold from this day onwards."

After looking at the CRV manual and seeing all the usual warnings about flat towing (which are also in the GM products - run the engine periodically, shift the gears, don't drive over 65, etc.) I decided that Ford did not deserve any more biz from us at this point given how badly they would have hosed us on a lube pump (we were about to buy an Edge Limited AWD) and from that point on I'd only tow vehicles with a transfer case that had a neutral position (which was the case prior to the Escape). Thus DW now has a Cherokee Limited with Active Drive II.

DW really liked her Escape but it just had to go. Towing it just left one constantly wondering if and when it would burn up. Ours did not and that may be because we really made sure the transmission fluid was at around 190 before it was lowered to the designated marks on the dip stick - and I know many dealers did not take this precaution. We also did not use a dirt skirt on the MH so that the air flow to the Escape would not be hampered. But still, it was the suspense of not knowing if our number was going to be called next.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to take the MH out with the Cherokee attached for a "test run."
Old 08-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsunseeker View Post
I also cooked a 2011 Escape Transmission. After Ford repaired I installed a wireless Grille thermometer and can monitor temp from drivers seat. Slowly climbs most of day but never gets higher than 150 degrees. when I drive it, it gets to 170 degress.
We have a 2010 Escape that we have flat towed for about 10K miles with no problems. I have faithfully followed the fluid level and other procedures. But, like others I am always apprehensive when towing. The wireless grill thermometer sounds like a good idea. Where did you attach the probe? Thanks.
Slowgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgo View Post
We have a 2010 Escape that we have flat towed for about 10K miles with no problems. I have faithfully followed the fluid level and other procedures. But, like others I am always apprehensive when towing. The wireless grill thermometer sounds like a good idea. Where did you attach the probe? Thanks.
Initially, I used an infrared thermometer and whenever we stopped first step was to run back to the Escape, raise the hood, check temperatures at various locations of the transmission housing. After traveling for a couple of hours it would be in the 150 to 175 range and it could vary widely depending on the spot on the housing being checked. I started questioning using the transmission housing temperature as a surrogate for the fluid temperature. I concluded that it may not be reasonable and thus started using the ScanGauge II (earlier models will not provide fluid temp readings) attached to the OBDII connector. That is when the number jumped. Of course, ambient temp has a big impact as well. When it was 90 degrees the fluid temperature would be much higher (up to 220) than when 65 degrees (in the 160 area). Prior to getting the Escape, the infrared thermometer was used to check tire temperatures whenever we stopped. With the Escape, that was done after checking the transmission.

It also became clear to me that under normal driving it could be very difficult to get the fluid temperature to 190 degrees - YET that is what Ford said the fluid temperature should be (190) when adjusting the fluid level or the result may not be accurate. With the high transmission fluid temps we were getting I could then check the fluid level in keeping with Ford's instructions and found it was between the RV towing marks.

About to leave for the storage area to get the MH and this afternoon will "test tow" the Cherokee. Also have to flush out the water lines and tanks to get rid of the pink anti-freeze. Next year I'm just going to blow out the water lines and forget the pink stuff. When I did that 2 years ago I forgot to step on the toilet flush pedal and the water left in the valve froze and ....... yes, damaged it.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #21

I use a vvireless grill thermo sold by most vvalmarts upc 30698 05485. I epoxied the sensor on top of the curved transaxle. I had to extend the transmitter cord into the motorhome on my current motorhome but vvorked ok on my old class a vvinnebago Aspect.
djsunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Ford transmission oil pump 2011 Ford Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsunseeker View Post
I use a vvireless grill thermo sold by most vvalmarts upc 30698 05485. I epoxied the sensor on top of the curved transaxle. I had to extend the transmitter cord into the motorhome on my current motorhome but vvorked ok on my old class a vvinnebago Aspect.

VVell, dat isen vvery interesting! VVVery interesting.... Dem VVValmarts hass'en many goood things, mee sees... vvvireless things, dat vvverk on de old vvvvennebagos....
Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I had exactley the same thing happen to me. I will bet it was a hot the day your transmission out. I had the pump installed at Fords excorbant price. We had several long trips with the pump installed but we have had problems with the pump. On a hot day this summer with 117 miles from start the transmission went out again. Price for me this time $5,600.
The biggest problem with all this is the terrible treatment I have received from the Ford company all up and down the ladder. I recommend you get the car back and take it to a dealership that has nothing to do with ford and get rid of it. It is a sour pill to take but will be best in the long run. I also request you file a report with the DOT with a complaint against Ford. If enough of us file reports maybe ford will do the right thing.
crslls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #24

We took our Cherokee on its first trip as a toad a couple of weeks ago. VERY pleased. I had decided no more toads without a transfer case and my judgment was confirmed in spades (out of four toads now only the Escape didn't have a TC). So nice not to have to run the engine and shift the transmission up and down before departure and then do it when stopping for fuel (and what happens when you get stuck in a massive traffic jam hardly moving for an hour - the fluid all sinks back down and that can be a problem).

Would strongly recommend the Cherokee with Active Drive II.

One of the nicest things was not having to wonder "is this the trip our Escape transmission nails us."

I'm going to be hard pressed to by a Ford for a long time. Having said that I find a number of Ford products appealing and would have considered purchasing a Lincoln MkT. It does tow well but too heavy for our current MH IMO.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Pay close attention to ambient air temperature, the temperature of the transmission goes up exponentially in relation.
crslls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #26

Location: I currently live in Temecula, CA, southern california wine country
Send a message via Skype™ to Coyotetr
Remco won't sell but CampingWorld has deal

I was going to have the transmission pump installed on my Ford Fusion so I took it to an RV shop and yes Remco won't sell it to you and the price to the dealer I was going to have install it was outrageous. I told him I saw it on Camping World for less of a price he could buy it from the dealer. We looked up the web site and sure enough, they will sell it and install it for well under the $3500 previously mentioned price, check it out online. The dealer called up CampingWorld and pretended it was me and sure enough it was darn reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Sorry. REMCO states in VERY clear English that they will NOT sell a lube pump for the Escape and that you MUST get it from Ford.

As I noted in another thread, Ford buys the pump only from Remco and then adds its own hoses etc. When talking to Remco I got the feeling that it may be making some revisions to the pump and system for the Escape and it could start selling them in the future - at a much higher price. Remco tried to defend Ford's high price.
Coyotetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #27

Carolina Campers
Ford transmission oil pump 2011 Ford Escape

I found a cure for the Ford Escape Hybrid I towed. I traded it in on a Honda CR-V. No more worries.

Ted
Old 11-09-2014, 05:57 AM   #28

I bought the pump but was still too nervous so now i Have a jeep. I am going to try and sell the pump.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, transmission