Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Ford transmission oil pump 2011 Ford Escape

We just lost the transmission in our 2011 Ford Escape which is our toad. This particular model and year is one that is rated as flat towable although obviously there is something wrong. We follow all suggested procedures and ensure we aee in complete compliance and yet our transmission failed. Ford is replacing under warranty and that is good but here is my question. The Ford dealer suggests we install a certain expensive oil pump and our issue would most likely be fixed. Cost here is $3,500 and Ford will not cover that although they will continue to replace transmission under warranty if it again fails within warranty period. I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with this solution and whether it should work? It is fine to continue on and figure Ford will replace if it fails but we are losing vacation time this year and have to retrack back to dealer when it is fixed and this is not enjoyable so I would just as soon put the pump in if it does the job. Any thoughts?
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

I JUST saw this thorough discussion on here about a week or so ago...check archives via search.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Thanks. Just reviewed it. It seems there is no for sure answer. I am figuring I will take the chance and spend the money but it is not comfortable not knowing whether this fixes the problem.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

I checked with FORD, checked with CW and ran exhaustive searches on this forum and decided it was a bad idea to pull a HYBRID on all four. That was my decision. I've pulled my MERCURY MARINER HYBRID over 10K miles on a well maintained Master-Tow dolly...no problems whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1899.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	42834  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
Thanks. Just reviewed it. It seems there is no for sure answer. I am figuring I will take the chance and spend the money but it is not comfortable not knowing whether this fixes the problem.

Check with Remco Towing Products for pricing. They make the transmission lube pump for Ford. The dealer's price of $3500 is very high. You can cut out the middle man and buy the pump directly form Remco and have it installed by one of their authorized installers and save close to 50% and remove the likelihood of another transmission failure.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #6

We have a 2011 Escape and toasted its transmission. Our first trip out. We followed the set-up procedures, in fact I copied the pages out of the owners Manuel and placed them in the center console. Ford did replace the toasted transmission. The new transmission is really smooth. We have a different dip stick and I remind the service guy about our "special" towing needs. The dealer gave us a copy of a special service bulletin for towing. The book says that you can tow for 5 or 7 hours DON'T. Ever since our melting experience we start the engine every 2 or 3 hours let it run for 5 minutes. This happen to be the best time when to switch drivers. We them continue on our merry way. We also watch our speed. The book says no to exceed 65 mph. We try not to stretch the law too much, but some times you just got get around a slower puller! Or the race track seems to be in all lanes. We were on the road 182 days last year over 12,000 mile and no trouble. No expensive pump either.
Garyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
I have to say that at the Ford price I will NOT install the lube pump and I've made it clear to Ford and the dealer that it could be a long time before I get another Ford product.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I checked with FORD, checked with CW and ran exhaustive searches on this forum and decided it was a bad idea to pull a HYBRID on all four. That was my decision. I've pulled my MERCURY MARINER HYBRID over 10K miles on a well maintained Master-Tow dolly...no problems whatsoever.
IMO you erred in your decision. When we bought our Escape we wanted a Hybrid but we simply could not get one. I've yet to hear of a single one losing its transmission due to towing. Very very low risk.

I'd also like to see your research because I think it shows just the opposite.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Check with Remco Towing Products for pricing. They make the transmission lube pump for Ford. The dealer's price of $3500 is very high. You can cut out the middle man and buy the pump directly form Remco and have it installed by one of their authorized installers and save close to 50% and remove the likelihood of another transmission failure.
Sorry. REMCO states in VERY clear English that they will NOT sell a lube pump for the Escape and that you MUST get it from Ford.

As I noted in another thread, Ford buys the pump only from Remco and then adds its own hoses etc. When talking to Remco I got the feeling that it may be making some revisions to the pump and system for the Escape and it could start selling them in the future - at a much higher price. Remco tried to defend Ford's high price.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We just lost the transmission in our 2011 Ford Escape which is our toad. This particular model and year is one that is rated as flat towable although obviously there is something wrong. We follow all suggested procedures and ensure we aee in complete compliance and yet our transmission failed. Ford is replacing under warranty and that is good but here is my question. The Ford dealer suggests we install a certain expensive oil pump and our issue would most likely be fixed. Cost here is $3,500 and Ford will not cover that although they will continue to replace transmission under warranty if it again fails within warranty period. I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with this solution and whether it should work? It is fine to continue on and figure Ford will replace if it fails but we are losing vacation time this year and have to retrack back to dealer when it is fixed and this is not enjoyable so I would just as soon put the pump in if it does the job. Any thoughts?
Why not just buy a extended warranty from Ford and let them continue replace the trans until you are ready to trade, I would think that would be a lot cheaper.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
I thought most of the flap about towable/non towable was for the non-hybrid Escape. The hybrid
uses a completely different transmission, and everything I read said that the hybrid was ABSOLUTELY
Towable 4-down no questions. That is why I've been looking for an older Escape or Mariner hybrid to tow.

? ? ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #12

I also cooked a 2011 Escape Transmission. After Ford repaired I installed a wireless Grille thermometer and can monitor temp from drivers seat. Slowly climbs most of day but never gets higher than 150 degrees. when I drive it, it gets to 170 degress.
djsunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsunseeker View Post
I also cooked a 2011 Escape Transmission. After Ford repaired I installed a wireless Grille thermometer and can monitor temp from drivers seat. Slowly climbs most of day but never gets higher than 150 degrees. when I drive it, it gets to 170 degress.
Why not let it idle on the next trip and see what temp the trans will get to, that would be intresting info.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #14

I put a ScanGuage II in our Escape (which we no longer own - installed the baseplates in the Cherokee last weekend) and whenever we'd stop the first thing I'd do is check the transmission fluid temperature. What was very annoying was that it got as high as 220 degrees when towing - yet when driving it, it was a chore to get it to 190. Hard to figure.

Tags
ford, transmission