Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I just made a mistake of buying a new 2010 Explorer to replace my 2004 and now I find out ford is towable but you have to have the kit installed and now Ford doesn't sell them anymore.

DO NOT BUY a Ford unless it is already to tow. $40,000 shot to hell.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Just got off phone with Ford and they said sorry about your problem, but consider yourself screwed. They have numerous complaints but they are not going to supply the parts needed for towing, even though they have a brochure all about there cars are four wheels down towable.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
I just made a mistake of buying a new 2010 Explorer to replace my 2004 and now I find out ford is towable but you have to have the kit installed and now Ford doesn't sell them anymore.

DO NOT BUY a Ford unless it is already to tow. $40,000 shot to hell.
Yah Know, you can do your own with the downloadable pdf below and a trip to Radio Shack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf explorer neutral tow kit-2006-to current.pdf (1.93 MB, 584 views)
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to give it a try. Don't know if the switch is normally open or normally closed.
Shouldn't have to go thru this. Ford should tell you up front they don't want them towed.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #19

and just in case somebody with a Sportstrac . . . . . .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sport trac towing.pdf (1.93 MB, 308 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #20
a k

Newmar Owners Club
John
This was the the same one as the Explorer
Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #21

ford neutral tow kit

AK don't know if you read my response to fords problem. the kit is nothing more than a light and a tech has to turn on the neutral tow eprom. I just had it done last week on my 2004 and I doubt that the 2010 is any different look under the dash above the steering column to see if there is a green plug usually taped to the side of a bigger wiring harness. this is where the light connects. any questions send me a message. I found a kit at www.GreenSalesCompany.com 513-731-3304
Old 10-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks JohnQ for the pdf. I didn't know they had to go into the console for the neutral switch. I saved a copy for future reference. Would it only be a Ford tool to reprograme with or could an aftermarkek programmer be used. Just a thought, mine works fine.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #23

We presently toad a 2002 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed manual trans, and it works OK, but it is a very typical European sardine can, and with my larger "Frame" very uncomfortable to drive. It's ONLY redeeming feature is that it is a diesel and gets 58 mpg hwy. I have never been a European Vehicle fan, not very reliable and somewhat limited in capabilities. We used to be slide in truck campers and went deep into the Pucker Bushes. Not very suitable locations for 40 foot DP's, especially on what passes for US Forest Service roads, i.e., goat trails. I would dearly love to replace the Jetta with either a 4.0 manual trans 4x4 SC Ford Ranger or a Ford Sportstrac. The Sports Tracs only seem to have come in auto's and only recently been able to tow four down. Finding a manual trans 4x4 SC Ranger (again, only recently been able to tow four down) is kind of difficult and seems to be priced appropriate to their limited availability. I also have a 20 foot boat, and being able to do short trips to the boat ramps with a Toad is also a plus, that's why I am favoring a V8 Sports Trac that can be towed four down.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sports trac and Explorer are on the same chassis and I believe all recent models are towable 4 down with auto trans and 4X4 only.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #25

20champ1,
Do you still have the installation instructions?

I found the newer kit but the mechanic is telling me the color code on the wire is different. He said he could figure it out but it would take time and at >$100/hr, he thought I might have a chance at finding installation instructions online.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #26

ford neutral tow kit

what year explorer do you have?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #27

2002, but they said it apparently was made late in the year and has a 2003 transmission. Whatever the difference in that would be. From what I've read, the NTK was the same from 2002 to 2005 then changed in 2006
Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #28

Explorer Neutral Tow Kit Installation

I attached the installation instructions for the neutral tow kit that covers several years of the Explorer. I haven't tried this myself yet. But from what I understand, it is basically an LED connected to the correct circuit and some programming from the dealer.

The dealer has actually got the vehicle to go into the nuetral position via their laptop but told me the vehicle's computer did an LED check and would not leave the transmission in neutral without an LED attached. Not sure if this is true or not, but it is what they told me. The mechanic did not have the correct LED install instructions so he told me either I could find them or pay them to do it. Attached is what I have found. Guess we'll see if it works!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ExplorerNeutralTow[1].pdf (1.36 MB, 695 views)