Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 AM   #29
a k

Newmar Owners Club
The Explorers with the column shift just needs just a green LED light hooked up to the loose green plug that is tied up to the bottom of the steering column and the reflash.. The Explorers with the console shifter needs to have the light AND a limit switch added to the shifter so the 4X4 box knows when it is in neutral. I bought a wiring kit that has the limit switch in it and you have to adapt it to the shifter. Not hard.

Here's the part and the instructions. The only thing you have to do is have Ford service enable the computer to neutral tow
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07-up Neutral Tow Kit Instruction Sheet 12.pdf (28.1 KB, 363 views)
File Type: pdf Limit switch neutral tow explorer.pdf (64.5 KB, 362 views)
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a k
Instructions didn't come through, only the cover sheet. Thanks
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #31
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, Try this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf explorer neutral tow kit-2006-to current.pdf (1.93 MB, 292 views)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #32
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try as I may I can not find any loose plug under my dash except a gray one on my 97 Explorer Sport

I had the thing flashed at the local Ford dealer then tried the sequence to turn it on but heard nothing but then I'm a tad bit deaf after 20 years in Uncles service.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On mine you don't hear anything when it engages. Mine is an '06 so I don't know if the same but I will look at connector later today.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I finally found a OEM kit for my 98 pictured above (not a 97 as posted) the Ford kit # is F77A-7E385-FA which covers 96-97 and evidently 98 and one thing the directions did point out was a GRAY plug for the Black wire from the LED and then the Red wire from the LED connected to the Orange wire behind the diagnostic connector.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #35

I wonder if the 2002 is the same. I finally tried installing the LED in my 2002 this past weekend but there wasn't any instructions on where to connect the red wire.

Thanks for the update. I'll have to see if I have the orange wire also.
luv2rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This link you posted earlier seems to be the one your looking for but it also appears to have a few pages missing from it. If you go to page 7 I'm guessing from it the red wire connects to a white/yellow wire, guessing again at the diagnostic connector, and one final guess is it's a ground wire.

Attached Files ExplorerNeutralTow[1].pdf

I'll try and get mine stabbed sometime today and let you know what my orange wire is.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #37
a k

Newmar Owners Club
The 2002 Explorer has a unused plug tied up to the bottom of the steering column for the LED light. You don't need a kit from ford, just a 12volt LED from Radio Shack. The only thing Ford had was a mounting brack that says Neutral Tow. The 06 thru 10 has the same plug. The only thing is the console shift has to have a limit switch installed and Ford won't supply it anymore.

If anyone wants to know how to retro fit an 06 thru 10 let me know. I did it with a Ford part for $23.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to update the 98 the orange wire is hot all the time (key on or off) so much for thinking it was a ground wire.

On the diagnostic plug under the bottom center of the dash board it is the lower right wire (passengers side).

O = empty hole
X = wired hole
X = orange wire hole
seating in drivers seat looking forward

O X O X X O X 0
O X O O X O O X
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
Yah Know, you can do your own with the downloadable pdf below and a trip to Radio Shack
Sorry if I am slow to catch on, but I read the pdf file more than once, If I make a led light (not a problem I reckon) and hook the switch up, how do I get around the programming? Don't worry you won't be the first to shake their head at my questions
TNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNMike View Post
how do I get around the programming?
He was meaning you can make the light portion that is no longer available for sale from Ford.

You will have to go to a Ford dealer to have the vehicle itself programed.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
OK that makes sense, thanks.
TNMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #42

Finally got above freezing so I attempted to install the neutral tow LED.

According to the instructions, it shows the balck wire on the LED connecting to a brwon/white from the PCM and the red wire from the LED connecting to a yellow/red wire from the Central Junction Box (which I am assuming is the fuse block, but I'm not sure).

I have a brown/white and an orange going to the unused green connector. Tracing it back, the orange wire goes to the diagnostic plug and the brown/white disappears in a bundle.

My question is, do I just need to splice the LED into the two wires on the unused green plug (black to brown/white and red to orange)?

I used to think I was pretty smart about this kind of stuff but this is bringing me to my knees!! And Ford is no help whatsoever.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to sell the friggin Explorer and get something to tow that I don't have to mess with. Although that may end in a divorce and I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway!! :-)

Thanks
luv2rid is offline   Reply With Quote