Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #43

PDF for 2000 Explorer XS

I see for 06- and 2001 and 97-98. Anyone have the PDF for my 2000? Is it the same as the 2001?

Thanks

Supergroomer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
There is a loose plug already under steering column for there 'KIT". Once you get it flashed, you put the shift lever in neutral with the key off and then you step on the brake pedal and hold in 4 x 4 switch for 5 seconds. The light blinks and when it's on steady the transfer case is in neutral. Won't work with AWD but works on 4 x 4. If you have the 4 x 4 button your good to go.
I purchased a "Neutral Tow Indicator" kit for my 2009 Ford Ranger from a local Ford Dealer and am trying to install it myself, but can't seem to find the unused "Green" connector under the dash. Any help in finding it would be welcomed. Thanks,

Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob, unless things have changed since my 2006 install, the indicator light is the easy part, the computer has to be reprogrammed for the system to work.
Will look on my Explorer tomorrow and maybe give you some pointers.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just purchased a used 07 Ranger Sport 4x4 automatic Transmission. one day to get the neutral tow switch in and an hour or two to install & program the computer. All done at my favorite Ford Dealer. It was all part of the deal.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
Just purchased a used 07 Ranger Sport 4x4 automatic Transmission. one day to get the neutral tow switch in and an hour or two to install & program the computer. All done at my favorite Ford Dealer. It was all part of the deal.
Would you mind sharing what the labor and parts costs were???
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #48

As many have mentioned "kit is nothing more than an indicator light ...I purchased a light at radio shack for 5 bucks and had dealer instant and do re programming ..just picked up and they billed me a whopping $81
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #49

That was on a 2004 6 cyl sport trac
Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought my Explorer, part of the deal was that I would buy the kit at cost and they would install free. Think it cost my about $20. That way I got the light and holder that mounts under the dash.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
When I bought my Explorer, part of the deal was that I would buy the kit at cost and they would install free. Think it cost my about $20. That way I got the light and holder that mounts under the dash.
Similar deal with my Ranger. I had them reprogram the ECM as part of the sales deal and they would install the led kit when it came in. Well I knew that wouldn't happen so I bought a 12v led at the local auto parts store and installed it in a small bracket under the dash. I believe there is an aftermarket "kit" available now but it is a total ripoff.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
To John Q: No cost it was part of the deal after price was agreed for trade.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #53

I know the post is old but need some info that I can't seem to find elsewhere on the web.

Wondering if JohnRR ever got the LED connected so that it works?
I've got the same gray single wire connector and all the info I've found on the web is for those who have the two-wire green connector.

Thanks
Steven Storch
Bahama, NC
Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #54
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did get it hooked up to where it evidently works but only used it once for about three hundred miles. It's up on a hoist at the moment but I'll try to get a look under the dash before I mention what wire goes to the plug fit's been too long to trustit to my memory.

A quick test to make sure it was in fact disconnected for towing is I put it in neutral following the procedure given then rolled down a big hill (no traffic around) and made sure the speedometer was not recording mileage.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #55
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black wire from the LED light connected to the gray plug.
Red wire from the LED light is tapped into the orange wire at the diagnostic plug.
The wire from the gray plug is blue with a yellow stripe.u
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Black wire from the LED light connected to the gray plug.
Red wire from the LED light is tapped into the orange wire at the diagnostic plug.
The wire from the gray plug is blue with a yellow stripe.u
Thanks John.

I connected the led with some test leads w/ alligator clips. The LED did light up dimly. Tried going through the sequence of engaging/disengaging neutral but with no change in led staying dimly lit. I haven't had the explorer in to the dealer yet for activating the neutral tow feature so hopefully, once that's done, the light will function as it should.

Thanks for all your help with the wiring and I hope this info helps others with the older model explorers with the single wire connector under the dash.

Now for the fun part of finding a local dealer who won't look at me like I'm from Mars when I ask for the flashing procedure to be done. I'll bring the TSB (#02-25-8) that indicates the proper neutral tow kit # (F77Z-7h332-HB for the 1996-2000 model year explorers)