Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

Ford's Neutral Tow Switch

Has Ford discontinued the neutral tow switches for the Explorer/SportTrac/Ranger 4X4 Automatic transmission vehicles???? The Rumor is that the supplier went bankrupt -- true? Is anyone aware of a third party outfit that can do the same, i.e., the idiot light & PCM reflash combo???
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hope not, love my Explorer, had the NTK on since I bought it. Planning on trading for another one in a year or so.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
At one time you could purchase them online. I've had two, one for a 2004 Exp and another for our 2008 Exp. I got the first one online and the most recent at the local dealer.

Your dealer parts dept. should be able to tell you.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I'm not mistaken, it still will have to be installed by a Ford dealer as there is a programming change that has to be made.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Where did you hear that rumor? I looked around the net a bit but did not find any mention of a problem with the switch or its supplier.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
All it is is a green LED light with a plug on it. There is No switch. You have to have the EPROM reflashed to ENABLE neutral tow. You can order the parts from Ford but most don't know about them.

For a 2004 it's part # 1L2Z-7H332-AB $25 They call it a kit.

DO NOT ORDER anything from BLUEOVAL.COM They Ain't part of Ford. I had to go thru credit card company to get money back.
GoToAutoAccessories.com These guys are rip offs also
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
All it is is a green LED light with a plug on it. There is No switch. You have to have the EPROM reflashed to ENABLE neutral tow. You can order the parts from Ford but most don't know about them.
No physical switch, but I guess the sequence involved "Switches" the transfer case into neutral.

I suppose it sounds better than "Neutral Transfer Shift Kit".

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Where did you hear that rumor? I looked around the net a bit but did not find any mention of a problem with the switch or its supplier.

Over at RV.Net in this thread -- RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Ford Toad's Confuse Me
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ain't that sumptin, as they say.

That will knock Ford off the toad list unless Ford decides it's worth their while to find another vendor.

The light is just an indicator, as the essential part is the ECM reprogram. which is Ford software, but dealers may not want to reprogram without an indicator light for liability reasons.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
a k

Newmar Owners Club
There is a loose plug already under steering column for there 'KIT". Once you get it flashed, you put the shift lever in neutral with the key off and then you step on the brake pedal and hold in 4 x 4 switch for 5 seconds. The light blinks and when it's on steady the transfer case is in neutral. Won't work with AWD but works on 4 x 4. If you have the 4 x 4 button your good to go.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Won't work with AWD but works on 4 x 4. If you have the 4 x 4 button your good to go.
I believe some years AWD is towable.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Even if the vendor company went out of business, I suspect Ford can come up with another supplier for a green LED and a bit of wire.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
Even if the vendor company went out of business, I suspect Ford can come up with another supplier for a green LED and a bit of wire.
I would hope so, but that is the core of the current problem, they haven't.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #14

ford neutral tow kit

as several posts have said the kit is no longer available from ford. I just recently went through the whole process this past week for my 2004 explorer. all that is in the kit is an indicator light, decal with instructions, and ford has to enable neutral towing e prom in the computer. I had wired my own light but then I found a kit at (GREEN SALES)
1800-543-4959 they sell ford obsolete parts $8.75 plus postage. some peop[le that happen to have the kits like an Oregon ford dealer i found wanted $375.00 for the kit a real bandit. They retail for around 10 t0 12 dollars. the kit i got was for a 1996 thru 2001 explorer I have all the info just had to cut the plug off of the light because the 2004 was different. went to ford dealer had it programed took about 1`/2 hr. kit # F77z7h332AB
20champ1 is offline   Reply With Quote