Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
four down towing

I just got back from a four day jaunt with our R.V. club and I noticed that two of the R.V.ers towed Honda Accord Front wheel drives four down. I didn't think that the Accord could be pulled four down and they both told me they didn't have a problem doing it. They said they start the engine, go through the auto trans gear sequence and then back to Neutral, turn engine off and put ignition in accessory. They tow up to three hundred miles and then stop and start engine for 15 minutes....do the same sequence again and they are ready to do another 300 miles. I have a 2010 Honda Accord and my book says that I can do the same thing in case of an emergency but the book limits me to 50 miles and no more then 35MPH. My question is: How many of you pull a Honda Accord 4 down and does you book state the same as mine? All imput greatly appreciated.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

I tow a 1999 Accord four down. I learned the hard(expensive) way. Start car, shift through all gears, last movement is from D4 to neutral and let vehicle idle 2-3 minutes. I travel at 70 mph without problem and do about 400-500 miles a day. Not in too much of a rush. Last year pulled car out to Maryland and drove around then headed to Florida. Some where between Maryland an Georgia we shifted from reverse to neutral and tore transmission up. We got to Florida, had the transmission shop find a used tranny, rebuild it and it has been fine ever since. D4 to neutral is the key! This is why Honda quit recommending it for towing.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

I should have added that the car has been towed over 4000 miles since the rebuild.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I towed a 2002 Honda Auto. for 7 years with no problems. I am now towing a 2012 Civic with a automatic transmission.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes the "NO Problems" v/s the "Major Problelms" comes down to a specific digit in the VIN... The "Transmission" digit. The two almost identical vehicles may have a different transmission or one may be a yyyy model year and the other a yyyy.5 model year.. My motor home is a .5, they made changes mid year.

(Or a yyyy +/-n (later or earlier year)

If you are really concerend Jeep 4wd, with manual transfer case, nearly (not quite but nearly) all of them are 4-downable.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

This is what Honda says:
Perform Honda Tow prep procedure
Start the engine

Set the emergency brake
Shift the transmission select lever to:

R - wait 10 sec
N - wait 10 sec
1 – wait 20 sec
2 – wait 20 sec
D3 – wait 20 sec
D4 – wait 20 sec
N – wait 4 minutes
Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY (I) position. The key can not be removed in this position.

Verify the steering wheel is not locked
Release the parking brake
Turn off all accessories such as radio, heater fan, any lights

If you overshoot the last shift and go into reverse, start over.

The brake pedal must the be depressed fully 4 or 5 times. The toad breaking system check should do this but if it does not you must do it manually to bleed the vacuum from the vacuum assisted breaking system. Not sure if all Honda's have the vacuum assist breaking but if yours does you must bleed the vacuum off or you will get a vacuum assist when you first apply the brakes and lock up the toad brakes.
This is for my CRV but they should be all the same.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I tow an 09 Accord no problem so far.
what next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
This is what Honda says:
Start the engine
Set the emergency brake
R - wait 10 sec
N - wait 10 sec
1 – wait 20 sec
2 – wait 20 sec
D3 – wait 20 sec
D4 – wait 20 sec
N – wait 4 minutes
Turn ignition switch to ACCESSORY (I) position. The key can not be removed in this position.

The brake pedal must the be depressed fully 4 or 5 times. The toad breaking system check should do this but if it does not you must do it manually to bleed the vacuum from the vacuum assisted breaking system. Not sure if all Honda's have the vacuum assist breaking but if yours does you must bleed the vacuum off or you will get a vacuum assist when you first apply the brakes and lock up the toad brakes.
The should be the same but possibly not. Honda says only the CR-V and Fit are towable four down since '05 with the exception of some '05 Pilots.
You may be OK towing, but Honda can and probably will deny warranty coverage on the running gear as will any service policy for not following Honda's requirements.
That said: We bought our '05 Ody with the written commitment from Honda that it was towably four down. Had all the towing gear installed. A few months later I started seeing that it no longer was approved. We did get Honda to pay for the towing gear and bought a dolly. Now I see and have talked to some owners that tow theirs four down, so I'm towing ours using the same info as above from the CR-V manual. So far so good too, but then again maybe I'll have problems but it's out of warranty no anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
I tow an 09 Accord no problem so far.
Other than no warranty on the running gear. And yes, the dealers are checking. Have problems and they see the brackets, then no warranty.
I even had trouble getting warranty coverage on the Ody antenna wiring that was bad. I had to find a magazine test report that had wiring trouble that was fixed by new wiring and tell them to do the change, if it didn't work I'd pay for the cable and installation. The dealer tried to claim the add'l wiring for the lights was messing up the shielded antenna wiring. I pointed out to them that the light wiring was only energized when no one was in the Ody so even if it was interference no one would hear it!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabfado View Post
I have a 2010 Honda Accord and my book says that I can do the same thing in case of an emergency but the book limits me to 50 miles and no more then 35MPH. My question is: How many of you pull a Honda Accord 4 down and does you book state the same as mine? All imput greatly appreciated.
My 2000 Accord manual reads the same as yours.

From the internet I found the attached letter from Honda concerning FWD models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Honda Towing Instructions.pdf (11.2 KB, 65 views)

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
This is what Honda says:
Start the engine

Set the emergency brake

R - wait 10 sec
N - wait 10 sec
1 – wait 20 sec
2 – wait 20 sec
D3 – wait 20 sec
D4 – wait 20 sec
N – wait 4 minutes

Our 2005 Honda Pilot owners manual says much the same procedure, but does not state any length of time in each gear position. It simply says that after shifting through all the gears, and back in neutral, let the engine idle with transmission in neutral for minimum 3 minutes. The manual also makes no mention of having to pump the brake pedal.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
The instructions for my CRV are similar but adds be sure to go to neutral from drive as the last step. Serious damage may occur if the last position before neutral is reverse. I have no idea if this applies to the other Honda's.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
The instructions for my CRV are similar but adds be sure to go to neutral from drive as the last step. Serious damage may occur if the last position before neutral is reverse. I have no idea if this applies to the other Honda's.
Safe Travels
Bob
I agree. The odd time I'd slip up and move the gear shift from D up to Reverse by mistake. If you do that, you have to do the entire procedure all over again. Your last move has to be from D up into neutral.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #14

We've towed and 08 Accord Coupe over 10K......works like a charm!
evanskl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing