Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have been RV'ing with tow behinds for quite a few years now but have been bitten by the Motorhome bug.
Getting close on a real nice 2004 Winnegabo and have been studying toads to use. I have printed out the Dinghy Guides but do know that they only list vehicles that are 'approved' by the factories for towing 4 down. Also know there are some others, ie: Honda'a, that can absolutly be towed but not with the blessing of the factory warranty. As I will be looking at used vehicles to tow, I'm not too concerned with a factory warranty.
Anybody know of a reference I can use to tell me about some of the other vehicles that will flat tow?
I know you can tow a lot of other vehicles but I'm not really interested in doing all the disconnects, lube pumps, etc. that you can do using the Remco products.
Thanks,

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm not aware of any "list" other than the published dinghy towing guides.

Anything else has been by experimentation by individuals, but even most of them had to be modified.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Right after we purchased our MH, I went to the MotorHome Magazine website and looked at all the available years list to kind of get an idea of what could be towed (4)down as I wasn't real keen on a tow dolly or flatbed trailer. I contacted Remco for info on their driveshaft disconnects and talked to a local dealer who sold flatbed trailers. The bottome line is I believe most manual shift vehicles with FWD can be towed (4)down along with some FWD vehicles with the AT. In my opinion, the best source at this time appears to be the MotorHome Mag website http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/ Also, if you find/have a vehicle that you want to tow, the owners manual will say how/if it can be towed.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Remco is also a good source. They can tell you what can be towed with or without their equipment.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
To further add to my earlier post, we will strongly consider a used Saturn Vue SUV type vehicle in the future as it appears they are towable (4) down without any mods to the drivetrain and are usually modestly priced.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Why not look for a toad with the base plate already on the vehicle. I see them addvertised in magazines and internet classifieds all the time. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good information, folks. I really appreciate it and it gives me much food for thought.
Still a lot to think about and follow up on.
Anybody else care to weigh in?

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
jfb

Look for a four wheel drive SUV with a transfer case that can be put in "neutral". Jeep is a good candidate but there are probably others. If I were to do it over, I'd find a good Jeep Cherokee and go from there...
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX are towable 4 down. Instructions are: Run for 5 minutes, put in neutral and ACC. At each fill up, start and run for 5 minutes. Really simple.
Have pulled the Edge for about 3,000 miles and have had no problems to include dead battery problems GM have experienced.
Pulls very well and weight of FWD is about 4,000 pounds.
Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Capt Joe, I have had 2 jeep wranglers for toads, both 4 down no mod's needed, also no fusse pulling or starting up every so many miles or so!! First was 1995 & now 2004. I also like the rag top makes a great warm weather sight-seeing vehicle with top down & doors off !! I also like to go and play off road now and then, and these jeeps can go just about anywhere There you go thats my two cents worth!! Best of luck with what ever you chose !!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #11

Hey Marv,
Do you have a braking system for the Edge? I'm looking at an Even Brake for the Edge we'll be picking up tomorrow. Any comments?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #12

Capt,
What is best for an individual to tow is, IMHO, probably best determined by one's total use requirements for the towed vehicle, both while motorhoming and when back at the ranch. We chose to maximize the utility of the vehicle first, and tackle the tow issue second.
We needed a FWD for access to the mountain cabin, 4 doors for friends(and dry groceries) on the road, the ability to haul a large Quad while Motorhoming, in addition to a work truck for the farm. That made for some interesting issues...all adding up to long, heavy, and probably un-towable.
Six month of seaching found an 06 Nissan Titan...not exactly your textbook toad! It fit our needs and was well underpriced, so a Blue Ox bar and baseplate, Remco driveline disconnect and M&G tow brake and we are 4000 miles into dragging all 6500 lbs of it coast to coast.
So, keep a wide view.....there are probably more options than you think.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 AM   #13

I've been towing Honda CR-V's since 2000. e just went to a Chevy HHR which is a dream to tow. Most of the new GM vehicles are towable.
You mentioned that you would be looking for a used vehicle. You may want to look into some of the Honda's such as Accords, Civic's, CR-V's and even the Pilot and the Acura MDX......I have friends and RV aquaintances that have towed these vehicles one time or another.

I suggestion for you. If you find something you may get interested in post it in this site and people will help you with the info about various vehicles.......Super people in this site with tons of knowledge! LOL !
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 AM   #14

Hey Welcome to the Forum. I am on my second Jeep liberty, I had a leased 2007, Liked it so we used the "early" Chrysler "buy out" and purchased a 2007. (Lifetime Warranty for original owner)
Tows great (3800 #'s)Transfer case in Neutral,
Trans in Park, no fuses to pull.

Safe travels and best regards, Clyde